Best of Chicago

bmags

It's winter, yes, but that's soon to end. When the weather warms I'll be sure to venture out farther outside my comfy 'hood and see all the little corner pubs I've wanted to. So I thought I'd share some of the best places I've been in the past year. And I'd like to hear yours. We know about kumas, hot dougs, etc. I'm also bored.

Here are my own categories, feel free to invent yours:

Best (relatively) New Bar (Wicker Park):

Big Star

Formerly the Pontiac, they created one of the most pleasant atmospheres around. It gets crowded, so I'd suggest getting here early and it's especially a great place in summer. They have excellent $2 tacos, cheap beer, and daily whiskey specials. Old time country plays in a real bare bones environment. It's a really relaxing place. It's only identity is that it's enjoyable.

Best Tuesday Night Drink Special:

Estelle's

$2-$3 For a really wide array of drafts highlighting the best of some of the better known brews (bell's, great lakes, rogue, revolution) and some surprises. Get there early before the college kids take over. Great juke box. Really meh food.

Best Indian Restaurant Not on Devon:

Marigold

Great cocktails and fantastic food, located in uptown it's still a bit farther north than is convenient for me. But I had some really great Murg Makhni, but just a warning, the vegetarian dishes are inexplicably hit or miss for an Indian restaurant.

Friendliest Service:

Tied between Whirlaway Lounge and Cafe Bella

Both located on fullerton in Logan Square, both just blow me away with how kind they are. Whirlaway's owner and main bartender Maria will know you by name and for life if you go during a non busy time for an hour or so. They take care of the whole bar quickly, have a cult following and it's just a great night out. Cafe Bella serves great sandwiches and coffee, and I couldn't be more cliche but you feel like you are guests in their home. They take care of you.

Best Chilaquiles:

Wolf's Den

The place is hilarious. Formerly the here we go cafe, it looks as if they gave no thought to the atmosphere and design of the restaurant. They are often closed without warning. But damn they make some f'n good chilaquiles. Runner Up: Flow on Chicago Ave. in Ukrainian village.

Best tamale guy:

Blue Cooler

More contentious than it should be, blue cooler is always where I need him.

Best Corner Pub:

Archies

Located in Humboldt Park, one of my favorite bars in Chicago. Very laid back, basically looks like a basement they made a bar out of. Great Juke Box, Hammison's drink special (that's a Hamm's and a Jamison shot for $5), darts, board games. Blue cooler always make my night here. Fair warning: it can be pretty hip some nights.

Best Restaurant in Logan Square:

Longman and Eagle

boring, but it's true. Fantastic food you can live with price-wise.

Best Bar in North Center:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/goldies-bar-chicago

Goldie's

$1 PBR every night. Enough said, for me, but also pool and darts.

Best Bar in Lincoln Park:

Delilah's

Great music, affordable, one of the few LP bars i can stand beside Gallway Bay. Oh also Lady Gaga went here.

That's my list, I'll think of more. Most of all, think of the term "best" as places that left their mark on me. I didn't go to 100 places in each neighborhood. But these places I all heartily endorse.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 30, 2011 -> 11:56 PM)

Longman and Eagle

Agreed. Every date ive taken to longman and eagle has absolutely loved the place.. i love the mood in that place, the food speaks for itself. Wild Boar Sloppy Joe? Sign.. me.. up..

• 2 weeks later...

If you want a decent imitation of Kuma's without the 3 hour wait, check out Lockdown Bar on Western just south of Division. Went in there by chance with some co-workers and it was a solid choice.

Also, People Tapas on Milwaukee near the 6 corners is a pretty solid dining establishment.

I agree with you on the Whirlaway. I go there a decent amount in the summer since my buddy lives a few blocks away and the bartender there is pretty amazing.

Best Burger: Kuma's Corner in Avondale. Lady Gaga even eats burgers there, nuff said!

Best Hot Dog: Hot Doug's in Avondale. Half a mile away from Kuma's. Only bad thing is it's open between like 10-4 on weekdays. I think they added Saturday hours. Expect a line out the door and bring cash. If you don't, Dougie will let you get your meal, eat, then come back after getting cash from the ATM right after you're done.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 30, 2011 -> 11:56 PM)
It's winter, yes, but that's soon to end. When the weather warms I'll be sure to venture out farther outside my comfy 'hood and see all the little corner pubs I've wanted to. So I thought I'd share some of the best places I've been in the past year. And I'd like to hear yours. We know about kumas, hot dougs, etc. I'm also bored.

Here are my own categories, feel free to invent yours:

Best (relatively) New Bar (Wicker Park):

Big Star

Formerly the Pontiac, they created one of the most pleasant atmospheres around. It gets crowded, so I'd suggest getting here early and it's especially a great place in summer. They have excellent $2 tacos, cheap beer, and daily whiskey specials. Old time country plays in a real bare bones environment. It's a really relaxing place. It's only identity is that it's enjoyable.

Best Tuesday Night Drink Special:

Estelle's

$2-$3 For a really wide array of drafts highlighting the best of some of the better known brews (bell's, great lakes, rogue, revolution) and some surprises. Get there early before the college kids take over. Great juke box. Really meh food.

Best Indian Restaurant Not on Devon:

Marigold

Great cocktails and fantastic food, located in uptown it's still a bit farther north than is convenient for me. But I had some really great Murg Makhni, but just a warning, the vegetarian dishes are inexplicably hit or miss for an Indian restaurant.

Friendliest Service:

Tied between Whirlaway Lounge and Cafe Bella

Both located on fullerton in Logan Square, both just blow me away with how kind they are. Whirlaway's owner and main bartender Maria will know you by name and for life if you go during a non busy time for an hour or so. They take care of the whole bar quickly, have a cult following and it's just a great night out. Cafe Bella serves great sandwiches and coffee, and I couldn't be more cliche but you feel like you are guests in their home. They take care of you.

Best Chilaquiles:

Wolf's Den

The place is hilarious. Formerly the here we go cafe, it looks as if they gave no thought to the atmosphere and design of the restaurant. They are often closed without warning. But damn they make some f'n good chilaquiles. Runner Up: Flow on Chicago Ave. in Ukrainian village.

Best tamale guy:

Blue Cooler

More contentious than it should be, blue cooler is always where I need him.

Best Corner Pub:

Archies

Located in Humboldt Park, one of my favorite bars in Chicago. Very laid back, basically looks like a basement they made a bar out of. Great Juke Box, Hammison's drink special (that's a Hamm's and a Jamison shot for $5), darts, board games. Blue cooler always make my night here. Fair warning: it can be pretty hip some nights.

Longman and Eagle

Best Bar in North Center:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/goldies-bar-chicago

Goldie's

$1 PBR every night. Enough said, for me, but also pool and darts.

Best Bar in Lincoln Park:

Delilah's

Great music, affordable, one of the few LP bars i can stand beside Gallway Bay. Oh also Lady Gaga went here.

That's my list, I'll think of more. Most of all, think of the term "best" as places that left their mark on me. I didn't go to 100 places in each neighborhood. But these places I all heartily endorse.

Good list but how can a Michelin starred English pub be boring?

I went to it's "rival", Owen & Engine on Western, it.was.amazing.

Edited by Chi Town Sox