TODAY IN SOX HISTORY: JUNE 4TH

StatManDu

BROOMING THE BRONX BOMBERS

1972: Dick Allen’s three-run pinch-hit walkoff homer handed the White Sox a sweep-clinching 5-4 win over the Yankees in Game 2 of a doubleheader before a Bat Day crowd of 51,904 at Comiskey Park. The blast made a winner out of Cy Acosta, who pitched a scoreless top of the ninth in his big league debut. In the opener, the Sox rode a four-run third -- thanks to two-RBIs each by Mike Andrews and Carlos May -- to a 6-1 win. Tom Bradley gave up one run on six hits with one walk and eight strikeouts in a complete game effort to improve to 6-2.

QUOTE (StatManDu @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 09:41 AM)
BROOMING THE BRONX BOMBERS

1972: Dick Allen’s three-run pinch-hit walkoff homer handed the White Sox a sweep-clinching 5-4 win over the Yankees in Game 2 of a doubleheader before a Bat Day crowd of 51,904 at Comiskey Park. The blast made a winner out of Cy Acosta, who pitched a scoreless top of the ninth in his big league debut. In the opener, the Sox rode a four-run third -- thanks to two-RBIs each by Mike Andrews and Carlos May -- to a 6-1 win. Tom Bradley gave up one run on six hits with one walk and eight strikeouts in a complete game effort to improve to 6-2.

51,904 wow what a crowd. Did they come to see the yankees or was it Dick Allen. Allen whenever he came to t the plate you better not be anyplace except in your seat eyes fixed on him. There was never a sox player that whose presense in the batter box could create so much hope and anticipation. If he didn't come through we didn't fault him. It was God's own will. You knew there was no one that you, a sox fan, would rather see in a clutch situation.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 08:45 AM)
51,904 wow what a crowd. Did they come to see the yankees or was it Dick Allen. Allen whenever he came to t the plate you better not be anyplace except in your seat eyes fixed on him. There was never a sox player that whose presense in the batter box could create so much hope and anticipation. If he didn't come through we didn't fault him. It was God's own will. You knew there was no one that you, a sox fan, would rather see in a clutch situation.

1972 was such a cool year. Dick Allen generated such excitement. People were coming back to the ballpark after all those miserable '68-'71 years.

Wow I was at that doubleheader.

Back in the day, bat day always drew a huge crowd.

The home run by Allen that day was the must exciting I'd ever seen until Konerko hit his grand slam in game two

of the '05 series.

Wow I was at that doubleheader.

Back in the day, bat day always drew a huge crowd.

The home run by Allen that day was the must exciting I'd ever seen until Konerko hit his grand slam in game two

of the '05 series.

1972 was an underrated year in Sox annals ... It was one of those campaigns that "saved" the team. I shudder to think what would have happened to the Sox if there weren't renaissance years in 1951, 1972, 1977 and 1990.

I have some good stuff from Roland Hemond on 1972 that I'll post one of these days. Hemond, too, is one of those seminal figures in team history. More than anyone, save for Veeck (and that's debatable), he SAVED the team. He built the 1972 and 1983 teams AND acquired both Ozzie Guillen and Ken Williams. If you think about it, Hemond should be in the Hall of Fame

QUOTE (StatManDu @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 10:26 AM)
1972 was an underrated year in Sox annals ... It was one of those campaigns that "saved" the team. I shudder to think what would have happened to the Sox if there weren't renaissance years in 1951, 1972, 1977 and 1990.

I have some good stuff from Roland Hemond on 1972 that I'll post one of these days. Hemond, too, is one of those seminal figures in team history. More than anyone, save for Veeck (and that's debatable), he SAVED the team. He built the 1972 and 1983 teams AND acquired both Ozzie Guillen and Ken Williams. If you think about it, Hemond should be in the Hall of Fame

He also hired Chuck Tanner!