Calling PTATC, and anyone else with foot injury knowledge

Steve9347

I'm having some pretty uncomfortable pain in my right foot when I work out... specifically, when I play basketball or run, and then following any workout, pretty much all the time.

Everything I find on the interwebs regarding injuries to a metatarsal says the pain should present in the ball of the foot, but I'm getting it in very specific spot.

I tried resting for a week, played ball, and it felt fine during exercise and started hurting the next morning.

The pain is in the area shown below, circled in red.

footd.jpg

The pain is localized on the right side, presenting underneath that bone. Any tips would be helpful.

I assume you tried the usual stuff

pad the area

wrap the area

ice afterwards

stretch well before and afterwards

check your shoes for any defects

walk across a smooth, dry, towel with wet feet and see if you see any differences

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 5, 2012 -> 11:05 AM)
I'm having some pretty uncomfortable pain in my right foot when I work out... specifically, when I play basketball or run, and then following any workout, pretty much all the time.

Everything I find on the interwebs regarding injuries to a metatarsal says the pain should present in the ball of the foot, but I'm getting it in very specific spot.

I tried resting for a week, played ball, and it felt fine during exercise and started hurting the next morning.

The pain is in the area shown below, circled in red.

footd.jpg

The pain is localized on the right side, presenting underneath that bone. Any tips would be helpful.

its absolutely impossible to tell anything about it without and examination, or at least a more detailed explanation - the red circle helps, but is it on the dorsum (top) or plantar surface (bottom) of the foot? is there swelling/heat/redness? are you able to still walk on it? was there some sort of trauma to it? I'm certainly not an orthopod or physical therapist, but likely its just inflammation from overuse, and most experts are going to tell you rest/Ice/NSAIDs. Not sure how your shoes fit, but a pair that fits well will probably help. Its possible theres a fracture but given the fact that the pain is only with workout, probably unlikely. sorry i can't help more - ptatc will probably be able to help as this is his area of expertise

QUOTE (daa84 @ Mar 8, 2012 -> 09:30 AM)
its absolutely impossible to tell anything about it without and examination, or at least a more detailed explanation - the red circle helps, but is it on the dorsum (top) or plantar surface (bottom) of the foot? is there swelling/heat/redness? are you able to still walk on it? was there some sort of trauma to it? I'm certainly not an orthopod or physical therapist, but likely its just inflammation from overuse, and most experts are going to tell you rest/Ice/NSAIDs. Not sure how your shoes fit, but a pair that fits well will probably help. Its possible theres a fracture but given the fact that the pain is only with workout, probably unlikely. sorry i can't help more - ptatc will probably be able to help as this is his area of expertise

I appreciate the feedback. I hate not working out and playing ball, but rest time it is.