THIS DATE IN WHITE SOX HISTORY/MARCH 20

StatManDu

THE WELCOME MAT FOR THORNTON

2006: General manager Kenny Williams acquired underachieving left-handed pitcher Matt Thornton from Seattle for underachieving outfielder Joe Borchard. Thornton became one of the top left-handed relievers in the game and in White Sox history and an All-Star. Borchard is one of the biggest busts in the history of the draft. While this is by no means Brock-for-Broglio, this trade has to be considered one of the best in Sox history and of the Williams Era.

QUOTE (StatManDu @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 10:14 AM)
THE WELCOME MAT FOR THORNTON

2006: General manager Kenny Williams acquired underachieving left-handed pitcher Matt Thornton from Seattle for underachieving outfielder Joe Borchard. Thornton became one of the top left-handed relievers in the game and in White Sox history and an All-Star. Borchard is one of the biggest busts in the history of the draft. While this is by no means Brock-for-Broglio, this trade has to be considered one of the best in Sox history and of the Williams Era.

Whoa now. That's a bit of an overstatement.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 10:16 AM)
Whoa now. That's a bit of an overstatement.

considering the money they gave him, I'm not so sure it is...remember the "best power coming out of college since mark mcgwire" stuff too?

in fact, you can even argue that he changed the way we draft...since giving him that ridiculous 6 million dollars, the sox have since almost never gone over slot

QUOTE (daa84 @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 11:24 AM)
considering the money they gave him, I'm not so sure it is...remember the "best power coming out of college since mark mcgwire" stuff too?

in fact, you can even argue that he changed the way we draft...since giving him that ridiculous 6 million dollars, the sox have since almost never gone over slot

14 of the 30 guys drafted in that 1st round never even made the majors. I find it hard to call him an all-time historical bust considering how many top draftees never even see the light of MLB.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 11:42 AM)
14 of the 30 guys drafted in that 1st round never even made the majors. I find it hard to call him an all-time historical bust considering how many top draftees never even see the light of MLB.

I misread that. I thought he said biggest white sox draft bust, not overall draft bust.