Daniel Murphy

brian310

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 01:49 PM)
Mets are making him available. Thoughts? For the right price, he'd be an upgrade over Beckham and a left-handed bat that could hit in the 2-spot, though I doubt we would be interested.

Our best, closest to the majors prospects are all MI, I'd be shocked if went outside the organization to replace Beckham without giving the Semien/Garcia/Sanchez/Johnson team a shot first.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 01:54 PM)
Our best, closest to the majors prospects are all MI, I'd be shocked if went outside the organization to replace Beckham without giving the Semien/Garcia/Sanchez/Johnson team a shot first.

Isn't Murphy a 3B who was forced to 2B with the presence of David Wright? I would take him. Not sure what it would cost for his last two arb years as he will probably make around $6M this season and who knows next season. The Mets are also looking at moving D'Arnaud from previous reports, so maybe a deal that could fill two holes.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 03:02 PM)
Isn't Murphy a 3B who was forced to 2B with the presence of David Wright? I would take him. Not sure what it would cost for his last two arb years as he will probably make around $6M this season and who knows next season. The Mets are also looking at moving D'Arnaud from previous reports, so maybe a deal that could fill two holes.

Why on earth would they move D'Arnaud? And frankly, how is he any more of a sure thing or worthy prospect compared to Josh Phegley? They were basically the same exact player this year. Unless that were cheap, I'd stay away.

Murphy intrigues me, but I think I'd prefer someone like him who can be the first guy off the bench who can also play all over. Someone like Kelly Johnson perhaps.

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 03:16 PM)
Daniel Murphy has seen time in the outfield, third base, and first base over the years. I think he has primarily been a second baseman the past few seasons though.

I recall him being pretty terrible overall in the outfield. Misread balls and routinely had balls going over his head. Viciedo looked more competent.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 03:02 PM)

Still, all those prospects are in the running for 3B too.

It would be an upgrade, but IMO we should be using resources on other things first.