FS Prospect Focus: Tyler Johnson, RHRP

NorthSideSox72

Another focus piece, this one covering flame-throwing right-handed reliever Tyler Johnson. This article was written by Dan Victor, who actually writes for a different site (Scouting the Sally) but did this piece as a guest for FutureSox.

I'd be shocked if Johnson wasn't promoted at least once before the season is out.

I love these write-ups. I laughed when I read the bugs bunny change up, nice way to put it.  Sounds like Johnson has potential to be absolutely filthy if he can learn to command his pitches better. The foundation is there though.

North, how do they determine whether a pitcher is on a relief or starter track?  I know a lot of starters who couldn't develop the 3rd/4th pitch are switched to relief.  But this player seems to have several pitches (although they need development).

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

North, how do they determine whether a pitcher is on a relief or starter track?  I know a lot of starters who couldn't develop the 3rd/4th pitch are switched to relief.  But this player seems to have several pitches (although they need development).

I would not pretend to know all the reasons, but I know some. You highlighted one - the inability to come up with playable pitches beyond 2 or 3. Sometimes it's also physical endurance - some guys lose command and/or velo more easily with more innings, even at full physical maturity. Others might have 2 really good pitches and a few really bad ones, so after some attempts, they just drop the bad ones and make them relievers. And yet others have mechanical concerns that are lessened in shorter outings.

In Johnson's case, I don't know, and in fact there was talk at one time about moving him to starter. But I can say that his command is still very loose, and in a relief role he can more emphasize a couple or three pitches for focus. Maybe? Not real sure, sorry.