Young graduates: who can step forward in 2019?

Dominikk85

A lot of talk about prospects but I think equally important is how the young guys progress.

Who do you see taking a step forward? And who do think is maxed out?

Most important candidates are of course moncada, giolito and lopez. All 3  have shown glimpses of hope but also very deep and long slumps.

I'm more optimistic about moncada and lopez than about giolito.

Edited by dominik-keul@gmx.de

I honestly think you will see some marked improvement from all 3 players. I know, it's optimistic as hell, but I would not be surprised to see it. All 3 had to have learned a lot this year, and maybe they won't reach their ceilings, but there will be improvements across the board.

Anderson is a guy who may yet become better with the bat, but it is also as likely that he has hit his limit with the bat. 

Moderately optimistic Moncada will trim the K rate. Around 28%, while keeping the BB% the same, and I think he will be elite. As is, he is limited but useful.

Pretty optimistic that Lopez has taken a step forward and will be a solid MOR guy.

Not optimistic on Giolito. Don't see an MLB future there.

Palka needs to talk to Davidson, if he does to his BB rate what Matty did this year he is a viable DH.

I don't buy Narvaez suddenly being one of the best hitting catchers in baseball, but if he isn't, he's useless. He sure won't make it on defense. Not terribly optimistic.

Here's what this team needs from their current young future core...first and foremost they need a full solid healthy year out of Rodon. He is the future ace of this staff, and if you're one of the people who think he's going to be traded, then they need him to be healthy to be traded. Anderson needs to show his defensive improvements last year were not a fluke, and he needs to hit for more power and be more selective with his pitches if he isn't going to be an on-base guy...too bad we can't utilize his speed on the bases more. I do like how he is becoming a clubhouse leader and how he's more interactive with the fans, and his optimism. Moncada, we all know his issues, his first full year was obviously a rough one. Yes, he needs to stop striking out, we all know that. His defense is fine But when he gets his pitches, he needs to actually hit them. Swing the bat. Moncada was great with RISP last year, especially with bases loaded. 

Would be nice to see Palka have a 40 homerun season with 100 RBIS and maybe a .260 average and a .340 obp. I think he is capable of that line, if he does that, there is our future DH.

I think Avi is gone after next year...if he tears it up in the first half I think they should trade him to a contender...too injury prone for my liking and I don't want him blocking the likes of Basabe or Rutherford (who might end up getting packaged in a future trade anyway).

I think Lopez will have a breakout year and be right up there with the best starters in the game. Maybe not Sale,Verlander,Kluber -esque, but next level I could definitely see. I don't have much optimism for Giolito, but hopefully he can learn how to pitch differently effectively without that 97 mph heater he once had. We've seen flashes of a gorgeous 12-6 curve and beautiful movement with the circle change, but he's gotta harness his control if he's gonna be successful long-term.

Unfortunately, Engel is our CF for 2019. There just isn't anyone else (I really hope Leury gets the starting nod for CF out of spring training.). My guess is that Delmonico is the one that gets cut when they bring Eloy up. Which is unfortunate, because Delmonico's clubhouse presence is great, but his on-the-field quality just doesn't play at a major league level. It was fun while it lasted.

Would also be nice to see the bullpen guys solidify themselves as major league quality, Hamilton, Fry (who probably already has), Frare. A full healthy year out of Jones wouldn't hurt either.

Edited by Scoots