Interview with Ozzie Guillen

Molto

I’d take the 10-game lead. Playing the Cubs I know is a big thing for this city, it’s a big thing for the White Sox fans, also for the Cubs fans, but, for me, it’s more important to win the pennant race than to beat the Cubs. To me, the Cubs are going to be another team we have to beat. It’s no different honestly - for the fans it is - but it’s no differently playing the Cubs than it is playing the Detroit Tigers. I think last year they [the Sox] beat the Cubs and then didn’t go anywhere. I’d rather have a 10-game lead and lose against the Cubs and go to the playoffs.

That is such a tough line to walk. I remember after JM lost his first series to the cubs he said "I've got to live in this town" and made it a greater priority without losing sight of the real goal. Oz wasn't with this when inter league play began. I wonder how when it comes he'll think about it.

I’d take the 10-game lead. Playing the Cubs I know is a big thing for this city, it’s a big thing for the White Sox fans, also for the Cubs fans, but, for me, it’s more important to win the pennant race than to beat the Cubs. To me, the Cubs are going to be another team we have to beat. It’s no different honestly - for the fans it is - but it’s no differently playing the Cubs than it is playing the Detroit Tigers. I think last year they [the Sox] beat the Cubs and then didn’t go anywhere. I’d rather have a 10-game lead and lose against the Cubs and go to the playoffs.

That is such a tough line to walk. I remember after JM lost his first series to the cubs he said "I've got to live in this town" and made it a greater priority without losing sight of the real goal. Oz wasn't with this when inter league play began. I wonder how when it comes he'll think about it.

Ozzie has that EXACTLY right.

Regardless of the stupid bragging rights for each team's fans ( and the argument IS stupid, let's not kid ourselves ), the thinking of the Sox from management down to the players SHOULD be that the Cubs are no different from the Padres, Brewers, Expos or anyone else that they play in interleague competition. Concern yourself with them when you play them, but NOT at any other time.

I'm REALLY bored with worrying about which newspapers have a "Cub bias" or what Cub fans are going to say to try to get on my nerves. It's juvenile. No, it's infantile. I'm worried about the Twins, Tigers, Royals and Indians in that order, because that's the order of the standings around the White Sox. ENOUGH of the Cubsession already. Enjoy the victories the Sox post over them, and root root root for the Astros or Cardinals if you want, but please spare me the hand-wringing over what page the Sox stories are on versus what page the Cub stories are on. It's really really tired.

CSR: Do you think the Sox fans are out there and just not coming right now or do you think there just aren’t very many Sox fans anymore?

OG: There are a lot of White Sox fans. A lot. For sure. If we win, I’ll own this town.

:headbang

For sure. If we win, I’ll own this town.

I caught that one too.

Separate from any ego issues, if Ozzie were to own the town, that would be such a huge payoff for the Sox in terms of marketing and attendance and restoring balance

on the other hand, if it is just ego, it will break his heart some day

Ozzie has that EXACTLY right.

Regardless of the stupid bragging rights for each team's fans ( and the argument IS stupid, let's not kid ourselves ), the thinking of the Sox from management down to the players SHOULD be that the Cubs are no different from the Padres, Brewers, Expos or anyone else that they play in interleague competition. Concern yourself with them when you play them, but NOT at any other time.

I'm REALLY bored with worrying about which newspapers have a "Cub bias" or what Cub fans are going to say to try to get on my nerves. It's juvenile. No, it's infantile. I'm worried about the Twins, Tigers, Royals and Indians in that order, because that's the order of the standings around the White Sox. ENOUGH of the Cubsession already. Enjoy the victories the Sox post over them, and root root root for the Astros or Cardinals if you want, but please spare me the hand-wringing over what page the Sox stories are on versus what page the Cub stories are on. It's really really tired.

Very true. We took 4 of 6 from the Cubs last season, and where exactly did that put us? I'd much rather have the division lead.