The New Guys: Part Deux

Chisoxfn

The New Guys: Part Deux

By: Jason Gage

In the first installment of the new guys, I talked about the players who had been receiving the bulk of the playing time. That list included Joe Crede, Aaron Rowand, Willie Harris, and D'Angelo Jimenez. Those weren't the only "New Guys" to join the Sox roster late in the season, however. The White Sox also called up starting pitcher Jon Rauch, catcher Miguel Olivo, and outfielder Joe Borchard. These players aren't near as polished as the others, and aren't projected to be impact players come next season, but are expected to be key in the White Sox success down the line.

Jon Rauch

Rauch's name should sound familiar. Not only has he been regarded as one of the top pitching prospects in the majors, but also left spring training as the Sox fifth started. After only four starts Rauch was demoted as the Sox realized he was not ready. Rauch's biggest problem was his arm, which wasn't 100%. In September Rauch made it back to the majors as rosters expanded. Jon didn't see much action, but he was able to make the best of it, putting a great impression on both fans and management. Jon went 2-0 with a 3.21 era in three games, two starts.

Rauch's strengths consist of great control, a good mindset, as well as good stuff. His fastball, which was clocked in the low to mid 90's before surgery, is still not back. Currently he's throwing anywhere between 89-92. The strength to Jon's fastball is his control. He did an excellent job spotting the fastball, and likes to move it in and out on the hitters. He isn't afraid to go up in the zone, but this is also the area where he tended to make his mistakes. When Jon was punished it was on the high fastball that stayed out in the middle of the plate. Jon also has a nasty curve to go along with his fastball. His curveball is already the best on the team and one of the best in the majors. He has shown he can throw it for a strike, but still has to learn to throw it for a ball. When I say "throw it for a ball", I mean throw it at a spot where you will get hitters to chase it, thinking it's a strike. Rauch also has a developing slider that still could use some work, as well as a change-up.

The things Jon needs to work on over the off-season is getting his arm 100% while working on his slider and change-up. Once he gets those two pitches down, he will be nasty for a very long time.

Miguel Olivo

Miguel Olivo is a catching prospect that Ken Williams has hyped the past season and a half. They talk about him being "Pudge-Like" behind the plate. The big question is whether Williams was simply hyping him, because he acquired him. This season's stats down at Birmingham would prove otherwise, but he still has to prove himself at the major league level. He got that chance late in September after leading the Birmingham Baron's to the Southern League Championship. Olivo wouldn't see much action for the Sox, 6 games. This left it very hard to judge him so I'll have to write a more expanded version on him after I see him in Spring Training.

The one thing Olivo did do well at the major league level was play defense. He flashed a cannon arm with good fundamentals. At the plate Olivo homered in his first major league at-bat. He ended up hitting .211 with a .286 OBP. In his few at bats the trait I noticed most about Miguel was his plate discipline and short swing. Olivo seems to have a good idea of the strike zone and did an exceptional job of making contact.

Olivo is left with a lot to work on and he'll get that opportunity in winter ball as well as at spring training. Miguel still needs to work on his bat and prove that he can hit major league pitching. Olivo also has a lot more work to do with his catching. The raw skills and fundamentals are there, but he still has to work on blocking pitches and calling a good game. If he improves in those areas, he will be our starting catcher for the 2003 season.

Joe Borchard

Borchard, the "golden boy" of the White Sox organization, told Sox brass that he wasn't ready for the show. And although the Sox agreed with him, they still wanted to give him a shot at the big show after his season down at AAA Charlotte was over. Borchard flashed to everyone the ability he has, but he also showed that he was right, he isn't ready.

Joe played in 16 games and hit .222 with 2 home runs, and a .253 OBP. Those numbers don't jump out at you as anything amazing and they shouldn't. Joe Borchard did homer in his first game, and it was a mammoth shot that showed everyone the power White Sox management has been hyping since he was drafted. Of course, he doesn't have the experience or proper swing that will make him a productive major league player, yet. Joe struck out 14 times in his 36 bats, roughly 39% of the time. Defensively Joe did show off his skills, AKA his arm. Borchard looked great in the outfield, no matter what position he played. On the base paths Joe also looked good. He possesses great speed for a man of his size and seems like he's a "smart" runner.

Like I mentioned earlier, Joe has a long way to go. The big thing he needs to do is shorten his swing. Despite the high strike out totals he does know the strike zone, which is a big plus. Once he shortens that swing, look out, because he is everything everyone makes him out to be.

Guest hotsoxchick1

good article jas.... rauch and olivo are ready... i feel that defensively borchard is ready and if he could see more major pitching his swing will shorten up and be alright...i dont want to burn him out on minor pitching... its not varied enough for him to get a good feel for swinging....besides i would rather have him out in the field anyday as opposed to dumbass lee....at least joey can see the freakin ball when it comes his way and get it back in fast.....sorry heather lol....

Guest hotsoxchick1

he may need more swing time but i still think that seeing varied styles and volicities(sp?) in pitching would help him out greatly with his swing.. and thats just something you dont get at the minor level.....

Good article... It poses an interesting question...

Do the Sox rush their prospects (most notably Olivo) and risk stunting their growth in an attempt to get back to the top as soon as possible, or do they wait it out in mediocrity for another year or so?

Remember... Rent-a-players aren't an option when you have Reinsy pulling the strings.

Good question. In Borchards case its a definate no because we are deep in the outfield.

For Olivo I just am real tempted. I think he's near ready and with him the key is simply bat speed as well as getting bigger and those things don't get taught in AAA they just come naturally.

If we had some depth behind the plate I wouldn't complain. Then again, Ausmus would be a great pickup for a season to start, then middle of the year have Olivo up to learn a whole lot.

Maybe since I'm so young I'm still inclined to believe that if the Sox really wanted to, they could put together a winner, and hence, I think I am more inclined to allow the more important guys like Olivo and Borchard get another year in the minors.

Olivo is 50/50... While I'd like to see him in the minors to get more seasoning, we are so pathetically weak behind the plate it's pathetic.

Borchard definitely needs to go back to the minors and work on cutting down those strikeouts. I would suspect that Joe would be called up again next September, maybe for a real tryout for the 2004 squad.

Rauch, well, it depends on his spring. He should be back to normal, however, we can't afford to rush him to the bigs.

I think Rauch just has so much poise and control that he's the type of pitcher that will have sucess in the majors from the get go.

He will only get better but its guys that know how to pitch that don't get themselves into jams with walks, etc that will really make great starts.

Then theirs guys like Kip and Garland who make mistakes that take a lot more time to develop.

Guest hotsoxchick1

akkkkk no olivo can come up here now.. hes alot better than having paul behind the plate as backup to johnson....i would settle for johnson being everyday with olivo backup.. but he needs to be here now..........i dont want to wait on him, and its not like hes a pitcher needing to develope.. he has shown he can defend the plate and throw out runners..he can work on reaquainting himself with the pitching staff to call to their needs.. his bat is good and he is fast so he can steel bases.. most of these qualities paul does not possess....dump paul and keep olivo here !!!!!!!!!!