!@#&!@#&*&%$ DEALERSHIPS!!!

Kid Gleason

My check engine light went on in my 2002 PT Cruiser. So I drive it to the dealer to get it checked to see what it could be. They tell me it will be an hour wait for my check, and that it will cost me $90!!! Shouldn't that be something they just do for owners of their vehicles, especially when my car doesn't even have 65,000 miles on it yet??? Man, dealers and so many mechanics are just out to f*** you over any way they can. I swear, the f***ing Mafia is run with more respect for people that those f***ing assholes.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 08:45 AM)
My check engine light went on in my 2002 PT Cruiser. So I drive it to the dealer to get it checked to see what it could be. They tell me it will be an hour wait for my check, and that it will cost me $90!!! Shouldn't that be something they just do for owners of their vehicles, especially when my car doesn't even have 65,000 miles on it yet??? Man, dealers and so many mechanics are just out to f*** you over any way they can. I swear, the f***ing Mafia is run with more respect for people that those f***ing assholes.

You'd get the same thing at any repair shop. That's just the cost to hook it up to their diagnostic machine to tell them what the problem is.

Here's a hint: You can buy your own code reader at the local AutoZone for a few bucks.

In all the cars I've owned I can just take a piece of wire and stick it into the DLC connector under the drivers side of the dash.

Here's an interesting website I found that explains how to get the codes from your car.

Your problem is probably something simple like a $10 sensor.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 10:49 AM)
You'd get the same thing at any repair shop. That's just the cost to hook it up to their diagnostic machine to tell them what the problem is.

Here's a hint: You can buy your own code reader at the local AutoZone for a few bucks.

In all the cars I've owned I can just take a piece of wire and stick it into the DLC connector under the drivers side of the dash.

Here's an interesting website I found that explains how to get the codes from your car.

Your problem is probably something simple like a $10 sensor.

Excellent information. Thanks!

QUOTE(The Critic @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 10:15 AM)
My check engine light went on twice in two months last year.

It was a faulty gas cap and a sensor.

Thank goodness.

Check engine light typically means something electronic is wrong. Most of the time it's some sort of sensor.

It's when something mechanical is wrong that you start to have big problems.

A place by my house did it for nothing, but the results were a bit of a mystery to them. They told me I should probably take it to the dealer, as their computer might be able to tell them what the problems were a little bit better, and also just in case anything was under warranty. But they didn't charge me. I don't understand why the dealer of the car that I bought would charge you. It seems like that should be a "courtesy" item for owning one of their vehicles.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 11:57 AM)
A place by my house did it for nothing, but the results were a bit of a mystery to them. They told me I should probably take it to the dealer, as their computer might be able to tell them what the problems were a little bit better, and also just in case anything was under warranty. But they didn't charge me. I don't understand why the dealer of the car that I bought would charge you. It seems like that should be a "courtesy" item for owning one of their vehicles.

No such thing as a courtesy after 36,000 miles.