2 moves to make

southsideirish

I am so sick of Paul Konerko coming up in pressure situations and popping it up or striking out everysingle f'n time. He has been doing this for a while now. He is like the anti-Crede. Crede comes up in the late innings and comes through a lot! Konkerko almost never does. Crede gets a lot of bad publicity for not being a great 3B. Take a look around the American League and you will see we have one of the best all around 3B in the league. Paul Konerko should get the negative pub Crede gets. He wets his pants in pressure situations and is hardly the player Crede is at 1B. Get rid of him if you can! We need a legit #4 hitter. We need Ken Griffey Jr.!!!!!

I am also sick of Juan Uribe coming up and constantly swinging for the fences. His all or nothing aproach is killing me. I would love to get someone in there that will make more contact, get on base, and at the same time not lose any defense. I want Omar Vizquel.

The bullpen looks fine. How many bullpens have 4 guys that they can count on almost every single time out. Cotts, Marte, Politte, and Hermanson are all guys we can count on. Jenks is coming along and I am starting to haev a lot of confidence in him as well. Point is we don't need much more there. I would also like to get one more stud SP. The Count is so hit and miss that it really scares me. I would feel much more comfortable with a proven stud pitcher where the Count is. Hello Jason Schmidt. The bullpen looks fine.

My question is what would it take to get Schmidt, Vizquel, and Griffey Jr. on this team? ALl seem to be good guys and it shouldn't ruin team chemistry at all. If it won't take anything more than Count, Konerko and prospects then I would love to do this deal. I wouldn't mind losing Uribe and Harris from our ML roster as well. Please tell me that we can do these deals and realistically what it would take to get these guys?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1) San Francisco won't want Paul Konerko since they already have J.T Snow and Lance Niekro.

2) Ken Griffey Jr. has a deferred contract that requires payments until 2025. That's a no.

3) Contreras, Uribe and a good prospect (maybe even 2) for Schmidt and Vizquel is probably going to be around the mark.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 01:53 PM)
1) San Francisco won't want Paul Konerko since they already have J.T Snow and Lance Niekro.

2) Ken Griffey Jr. has a deferred contract that requires payments until 2025. That's a no.

3) Contreras, Uribe and a good prospect (maybe even 2) for Schmidt and Vizquel is probably going to be around the mark.

1) would cincy take Konerko? Supposedly Casey is on the block. That is where I had him going, not SF. Maybe a 3 way deal with someone that wants either Konerko or Casey?

2) who cares? Cincy may eat a little of it to move him. Plus I thought the White Sox were all about deferred contracts? Aren't we still paying Julio Cruz? This seems like it would be a perfect fit.

3) That sounds great to me. DO IT!!!!!!!

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 11:55 PM)
1) would cincy take Konerko? Supposedly Casey is on the block. That is where I had him going, not SF. Maybe a 3 way deal with someone that wants either Konerko or Casey?

2) who cares? Cincy may eat a little of it to move him.

3) That sounds great to me. DO IT!!!!!!!

1) Can't see the Reds wanting Konerko unless they can unload Casey which is doubtful, and they don't have much in replacements for Konerko if he leaves as a FA anyway.

2) I'll post the contract. 9-Year worth 116.5M- he will make between 2000 and 2008 a salary of 12.5M each year- + in 2000, 5.5M of salary deferred till 2009- + deal includes 2009 Team Option or a 4M buyout- + 6.5M of 2001-2009 salaries deferred to subsequent years between 2009 and 2024

3) It depends on Sabean's likeness for Contreras and Uribe. But is KW ready to give up on Juan already after signing him to a 3 year deal in the off-season?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 01:58 PM)
1) Can't see the Reds wanting Konerko unless they can unload Casey which is doubtful, and they don't have much in replacements for Konerko if he leaves as a FA anyway.

2) I'll post the contract. 9-Year worth 116.5M- he will make between 2000 and 2008 a salary of 12.5M each year- + in 2000, 5.5M of salary deferred till 2009- + deal includes 2009 Team Option or a 4M buyout- + 6.5M of 2001-2009 salaries deferred to subsequent years between 2009 and 2024

3) It depends on Sabean's likeness for Contreras and Uribe. But is KW ready to give up on Juan already after signing him to a 3 year deal in the off-season?

1) that is why we would need another team to make a 3 way deal.

2) Ok, but either way it seems like the Sox love deferred contracts. Like I said that would seem like a perfect fit.

3)I would say that he would be and should be if he likes Vizquel, which I think he does. Odalis Perez is already on the block after just signing a 3 year deal with the Dodgers so I would say YES!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 08:51 AM)
I am so sick of Paul Konerko coming up in pressure situations and popping it up or striking out everysingle f'n time. He has been doing this for a while now. He is like the anti-Crede. Crede comes up in the late innings and comes through a lot! Konkerko almost never does. Crede gets a lot of bad publicity for not being a great 3B. Take a look around the American League and you will see we have one of the best all around 3B in the league. Paul Konerko should get the negative pub Crede gets. He wets his pants in pressure situations and is hardly the player Crede is at 1B. Get rid of him if you can! We need a legit #4 hitter. We need Ken Griffey Jr.!!!!!

I am also sick of Juan Uribe coming up and constantly swinging for the fences. His all or nothing aproach is killing me. I would love to get someone in there that will make more contact, get on base, and at the same time not lose any defense. I want Omar Vizquel.

The bullpen looks fine.  How many bullpens have 4 guys that they can count on almost every single time out. Cotts, Marte, Politte, and Hermanson are all guys we can count on. Jenks is coming along and I am starting to haev a lot of confidence in him as well. Point is we don't need much more there. I would also like to get one more stud SP. The Count is so hit and miss that it really scares me. I would feel much more comfortable with a proven stud pitcher where the Count is. Hello Jason Schmidt. The bullpen looks fine.

My question is what would it take to get Schmidt, Vizquel, and Griffey Jr. on this team? ALl seem to be good guys and it shouldn't ruin team chemistry at all. If it won't take anything more than Count, Konerko and prospects then I would love to do this deal. I wouldn't mind losing Uribe and Harris from our ML roster as well. Please tell me that we can do these deals and realistically what it would take to get these guys?

I gotta agree with you on everything. I feel the same way. It seems like everytime, especially lately, konerko has a runer on and he chops it to the third baseman for the out. There were also some infield hits, in particular in the Detroit series that any normal baserunner would beat out but of course this guy is always in slo-mo. We cannot count on him in the clutch. We wont trade him but I hope KW doesnt give him a contract after the season. As for Uribe, i dont know what we can do but we gotta do something. He cannot hit anything unless it is straight in the middle of the plate.

Schmidt's price is ridiculous. On ESPNNEWS they said the Giants were asking Garland, everyday lineup guy, and one of the top prospects. I still think we should get Odalis Perez. OR it doesnt need to be a top-of-the-line pitcher either. I was listening to the Sox Post on AM1000 and this guy made allota sense. We gotta make sure El Duque is there in September and into the playoffs. With that said he mentioned Gil Meche and Mark Redman. This guy was using his head. With Uribe and Harris, I hope we see the end of them in chicago. KW should get a proven UTIL guy. I dont know who is available but Graff woulda looked nice in Chicago again.

i think one or the other of those deals is entirely possible. the schmidt/vizquel deal makes absolutely perfect sense to me. griffey is a stretch, but man id love to see it. i agree with you on konerko. really his average is what, a few points higher than credes with 9 more homers. those 9 homers are nice, and he had a knack for driving in runs early, but that has seemed to fade some. really, lyle overbay should be considered this offseason. that guys legit. at any rate, schmidt is my top priority, and if they can get vizquel also, im all for it.

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 02:08 PM)
I gotta agree with you on everything.  I feel the same way.  It seems like everytime, especially lately, konerko has a runer on and he chops it to the third baseman for the out.  There were also some infield hits, in particular in the Detroit series that any normal baserunner would beat out but of course this guy is always in slo-mo.  We cannot count on him in the clutch.  We wont trade him but I hope KW doesnt give him a contract after the season.  As for Uribe, i dont know what we can do but we gotta do something.  He cannot hit anything unless it is straight in the middle of the plate.

Schmidt's price is ridiculous.  On ESPNNEWS they said the Giants were asking Garland, everyday lineup guy, and one of the top  prospects.  I still think we should get Odalis Perez.  OR it doesnt need to be a top-of-the-line pitcher either.  I was listening to the Sox Post on AM1000 and this guy made allota sense.  We gotta make sure El Duque is there in September and into the playoffs.  With that said he mentioned Gil Meche and Mark Redman.  This guy was using his head.  With Uribe and Harris,  I hope we see the end of them in chicago.  KW should get a proven UTIL guy.  I dont know who is available but Graff woulda looked nice in Chicago again.

I think the Giants asked for Garland at first but that has been over a month ago. Negotiations always start out by asking for a lot and you usually work towards an agreable middle ground. s***, if I were the Giants I would have asked for Garland too. No hurt in asking, all that happens is you get told no. I think that was a good starting point and if we can move Contreras, Uribe, and prospects for Schmidt and Vizquel I do it right now.

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 08:08 AM)
I gotta agree with you on everything.  I feel the same way.  It seems like everytime, especially lately, konerko has a runer on and he chops it to the third baseman for the out.  There were also some infield hits, in particular in the Detroit series that any normal baserunner would beat out but of course this guy is always in slo-mo.  We cannot count on him in the clutch.  We wont trade him but I hope KW doesnt give him a contract after the season.  As for Uribe, i dont know what we can do but we gotta do something.  He cannot hit anything unless it is straight in the middle of the plate.

Schmidt's price is ridiculous.  On ESPNNEWS they said the Giants were asking Garland, everyday lineup guy, and one of the top  prospects.  I still think we should get Odalis Perez.  OR it doesnt need to be a top-of-the-line pitcher either.  I was listening to the Sox Post on AM1000 and this guy made allota sense.  We gotta make sure El Duque is there in September and into the playoffs.  With that said he mentioned Gil Meche and Mark Redman.  This guy was using his head.  With Uribe and Harris,  I hope we see the end of them in chicago.  KW should get a proven UTIL guy.  I dont know who is available but Graff woulda looked nice in Chicago again.

word was that the giants asked for a guy like garland, got laughed at, and lowered the asking price. someone posted something about the sox being reluctant to deal bmac for schmidt, but the word is that the deal would center around contreras and bmac for it to happen. at least thats what i had been reading. odalis is a damn good option. hes a legit pitcher, is young, and isnt making obscene money, considerign deals like milton. guys like meche and redman would only be acquired to then be dealt to either Fla or SF along with contreras instead of bmac. thats why the sox nearly landed zack day.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 02:51 PM)
We should jsut trade Pauly and Timo to the Cubs for Derek Lee

Then trade Jose Contreas Crede and Uribe to Oak for Harden  Chavez and Crosby

Ok, where have I made crazy suggestions?

Maybe you should trade in your brain for a peanut and you would be a whole lot smarter.

Ok, where have I made crazy suggestions?

Maybe you should trade in your brain for a peanut and you would be a whole lot smarter.

Well there is a well thought out post..

Where was I personally attacking you in regards to trades?

Look I want Schimdt on this team, but not going to happen.. We need a bat more than anything.. Execpt I won't want Griffey..If anything I would want to make a Run at Huff, He can play 3b,1b and OF.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 03:14 PM)
Well there is a well thought out post..

Where was I personally attacking you in regards to trades?

Look I want Schimdt on this team, but not going to happen.. We need a bat more than anything.. Execpt I won't want Griffey..If anything I would want to make a Run at Huff, He can play 3b,1b and OF.

Personally attacking? Your harsh in your face style of posting comes off as ridiculous and childish. If you don't like something at least have a point and some sort of evidence to back up these ridiculous remarks. Don't just make a post to make a post. Have some sort of substance to your post. Try calming down a bit before posting and think things through.

Your assumption is that Schmidt is not going to happen. From my experiences with your posts, YOUR assumptions are usually not right.

As far as Huff, TB is asking for a ton in return. I would rather have Griffey Jr. and he has playoff experience.

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 03:27 PM)
Personally attacking? Your harsh in your face style of posting comes off as ridiculous and childish. If you don't like something at least have a point and some sort of evidence to back up these ridiculous remarks. Don't just make a post to make a post. Have some sort of  Try calming down a bit before posting and think things through.

As far as Huff,  TB is asking for a ton in return. I would rather have Griffey Jr. and he has playoff experience.

But when Juan Uribe is hot he can carry a team. Why do we need Grif? :ph34r:

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 03:31 PM)
Of course he can carry a team, when is he going to get hot?

Plus I would be trading Uribe to SF in order to get Vizquel.

Same here, I would love to ship out Uribe as part of a deal for Omar. That 260ish OBP by Uribe is a f***ing joke.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 01:51 PM)

I agree with you, but I just can't see the Sox risking Dye at first. If Gload plays first, then the Sox have Pods, Arow, Griffey, Everett, Thomas, and Dye. Two of them would have to sit. If I could ask KW for 2 players, it would be Vizquel and Wagner.

Pods

Vizquel

Iguchi

Thomas/Everett

Dye

Gload/Konerko

ARow

AJ

Crede

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 03:33 PM)
Same here, I would love to ship out Uribe as part of a deal for Omar.  That 260ish OBP by Uribe is a f***ing joke.

How were we ever worried about Crede when we have jokes like Konerko and Uribe on this team? Granted Uribe is good defensively, but is he worth a 260 OBP? I think not. And Konerko, how the hell is he an All-Star? .251 AVG? Clogs up the basepaths and only 58 RBI with 22 home runs? Doesn't he have Iguchi and Pods hitting in front of him and getting on base all the time? How the hell does he have 22 home runs and only 58 RBI?

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 03:36 PM)
I agree with you, but I just can't see the Sox risking Dye at first.  If Gload plays first, then the Sox have Pods, Arow, Griffey, Everett, Thomas, and Dye.  Two of them would have to sit.  If I could ask KW for 2 players, it would be Vizquel and Wagner.

Pods

Vizquel

Iguchi

Thomas/Everett

Dye

Gload/Konerko

ARow

AJ

Crede

I don't believe we need Wagner. I think our bullpen is very good and there is no reason it can't keep it up. I see no reason why Dye can't play first base. I know he only played there once this year but he looked like a natural. I am not counting on Frank being healthy so I am taking him out of the equation. Dye, Everett, or Griff could DH an Gload or Dye can play first. Everett has proved to be very valuable off the bench and as a pinch hitter.

Pods LF

Iguchi 2B

Griffey CF/RF/DH

Dye DH/RF/1B

ARow CF/RF

Gload 1B/RF/LF

AJ C

Crede 3B

Vizquel SS

Bench

Pablo 3B/SS/2B/LF - can also pinch run

Crazy Carl OF/DH

Widger C

Frank - can only DH

Timo OF /Willie, valuable pinch runner, can't hit but can play SS?/2B/CF/LF

Edited by southsideirish

Hermanson, as a closer over the course of a season, is an unknown quantity ... and that's a healthy Hermanson. He's been damn good, but can we expect that to continue and can we count on him with his back problems? That is a reason I think they might not be able to keep it up. If hermy goes down or becomes ineffective, then the whole bullpen has to shuffled, on the fly ... again.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 03:55 PM)
Hermanson, as a closer over the course of a season, is an unknown quantity ... and that's a healthy Hermanson. He's been damn good, but can we expect that to continue and can we count on him with his back problems?  That is a reason I think they might not be able to keep it up.  If hermy goes down or becomes ineffective, then the whole bullpen has to shuffled, on the fly ... again.

Very good point, but if he is healthy where do you put him? Who do you let go? Vizcaino? Jenks? Is it really worth giving up a lot to get Wagner?