Draft Profile - C Trevor Coleman, Missouri

BearSox

Trevor Coleman, C, Missouri - 6'1" 211 lbs. (Bats S | Throws R)

2723224.jpeg

Scouting Report

Strengths: Good catch and throw skills, has a good arm, and a solid defender behind the plate. Is a patient hitter and can take a walk. Is also a switch hitter.

Negatives: The bat is a big question mark. He has had only decent numbers offensively his previous 2 years, and this year, he's leaving a lot to be desired. Doesn't hit for much power, and has a low average. He seems to have a tendency to K too much at times as well. Plus, it looks like his struggles offensively have effected him defensively, as this year, he has poor defensive numbers.

Scouting Report Links

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2009/...content=coleman

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=514

Coleman has the classic catcher's build: 6-foot-1, 215 pounds, stocky, strong lower half, barrel chest...Their games are similar in some aspects. Both catchers received and blocked well. Each has a good setup and moves well behind the plate...Both catchers throw well. At times, Coleman will show a plus arm. Ortiz is just a tick behind Coleman in pure arm strength and grades out as solid-average. Ortiz has a quicker release than Coleman, which resulted in better pop times to second base. Coleman has a little more pure arm strength. Both have plenty of arm to stay behind home plate...Coleman gunned down a Beavers baserunner with a 2.05 pop time to second base. Both would be considered "shut down" catchers at the college level.

At the plate, Coleman shows the rare ability to switch-hit from the catcher position. He didn't show great bat speed in his first at-bat, hitting righthanded against Beavers sophomore lefthander Tanner Robles. He was late and fouled off several pitches before eventually grounding out to shortstop. He did touch up Robles for a three-run home run to right field in the fourth inning. The ball typically travels well in the desert, and it didn't appear to be a home run when it left the bat, but the ball kept carrying and snuck over the 330-foot marker.

Neither Coleman nor Ortiz projects as a first- or second-round choice, and tools-wise they fit better in the third- or fourth-round range. However, catchers have a tendency to get over-drafted because of the premium position that they play and the overall lack of depth generally at that position. Both of these guys are solid catch-and-throw guys with defensive tools that will play in pro ball. If either of their bats begin to come alive, either one could project as a major league backup in the future.

Statistics

2009 - .250 BA | 6 HR | 30 RBI | 156 AB | 39 H | 8 2B | 35 BB | 26 SO | 4 SB | 1 CS

DEFENSE - 53 SBA | 16 CSB | 8 E | 9 PB | 1 CI

2007 & 2008 - http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/C/T...r-Coleman.shtml

Bio

http://www.mutigers.com/sports/m-basebl/mt...n_trevor00.html

http://www.perfectgame.org/players/playerp...e.aspx?ID=31957

Video

Project Draft Slot

Between rounds 4-10

Player Comparison

Josh Bard

My Take

Decent option for the 4-10 round range. If we don't go catcher early, I wouldn't mind taking a chance on him in round 5 or 6. Best case scenario he offers a solid, switch hitting back up/situational player from behind the plate. He might decide to stay at Mizzou for another year to try and get his value back up though.

Edited by BearSox

He got injured a couple weeks ago to more than likely end his season. Broken bone in his hand, nothing super major, but bad timing at the end of the season. This was by far his worst offensive year. I would say the scouting report is wrong about his power, though he didn't show power in the Cod league so maybe he only has metal bat power. The defensive reports are accurate, he's so much fun to watch behind the plate. Another thing worth noting about his defense is that he calls games for Mizzou, which is rare for college catchers.

He definitely has a shot to be a solid catching prospect because of his defense, but I don't know if his bat will get him to the Majors. With that said, I would love for the Sox to take him in the 4th round. His bat is a question mark as they said in the report, but if he can hit respectably well his defense will carry him.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 20, 2009 -> 01:58 PM)
He got injured a couple weeks ago to more than likely end his season. Broken bone in his hand, nothing super major, but bad timing at the end of the season. This was by far his worst offensive year. I would say the scouting report is wrong about his power, though he didn't show power in the Cod league so maybe he only has metal bat power. The defensive reports are accurate, he's so much fun to watch behind the plate. Another thing worth noting about his defense is that he calls games for Mizzou, which is rare for college catchers.

He definitely has a shot to be a solid catching prospect because of his defense, but I don't know if his bat will get him to the Majors. With that said, I would love for the Sox to take him in the 4th round. His bat is a question mark as they said in the report, but if he can hit respectably well his defense will carry him.

Yep, while the upside might be limited, your still talking about a valuable position where there is at least a decent chance that he turns into a real nice defensive back-up to go with Flowers or whomever the starter is. And if he hits, he's a pretty solid starting catcher.

By the way, good stuff Dan, good stuff (this and the Arnett stuff).

• 3 weeks later...

Coleman went 5-13 in the regional last weekend. He had 2 errors and teams went 4-4 in SB in the 2 games he played catcher. His hand injury seemed to affect his defense more than his hitting. It was a broken bone in his throwing hand. He should be fine by the time he would be making professional debut. He's legit on d regardless of the injury.

If he could turn into a Josh Bard type of player, that'd be fine. A very solid, defensive minded C.

After the past couple of years, I've realized that good catchers are one of the toughest positions to find good players. If it was up to me, I'd be drafting at least 1 catcher in the first 10 rounds every year. If you can find one that can hit and field, you basically won the lottery. And since the only real catching prospect we have is Flowers, and it's unclear if he'll play C in the pros, I wouldn't be oppossed to drafting around 3 catchers this year in the first 10 rounds.