Miguel Gonzalez

BlackSox13

Have not seen his name linked in trade discussions but I would think at some point we will. Gonzalez had a nice bounce back year in '16 and becomes a free agent at the end of '17 so given the shortage of pitching I wonder if teams start kicking the tires now instead of waiting for July.

Anyone have an idea of what Gonzalez would be worth in a trade? While I don't expect much, I really have no idea what he could bring back.

Edited by BlackSox13

Agreed, I've actually been a bit surprised by the lack of chatter around him. Only thing I can think of is teams might expect some regression after his career low HR/FB rate.

Wonder if the Sox are looking to hold him to start the year, thinking if he can duplicate anywhere near last year he becomes really valuable.

If he's movable, I'd guess it's something like "end of the offseason" when there are no free agent options left whatsoever. Right now you've still got guys like Jason Hammel, Jake Peavy, Jon Niese, Colby Lewis, Doug Fister, and I'm tired of listing them - all of whom are comparable options to fill out the back of a rotation for 1/2 a year or so.

Midseason.

MLB teams would rather take a flier on

Jason Hammel, Jake Peavy, Jon Niese, Colby Lewis, Doug Fister, and I'm tired of listing them

than give up actual prospects for Gonzalez who, right now, is really not much better than those options. If Migo picks up where he left off last year he'll be gone sometime in June or July when one of those scrap heap guys fail or teams bearing playoff hopes that inexplicably go into the season with no rotation depth suffer an injury. He'll actually fetch something too, the lack of commitment actually helps his value as teams really prefer to f*** and not marry guys of his "caliber".