"Old" White Sox Games on YouTube (05/15/88)

BrittBurnsFan

Anyone ever go back and watch any "old" White Sox games on YouTube?  I have found myself diving into deep nostalgia and watching some games from Comiskey.  Just brings up so many great memories (not necessarily the play or the teams...LOL), just fun to be able to see the Palace again and hear the voices I listened to and see the players that I cheered for growing up!  Last night I watched this one which isn't an entire game (unless it was rain-shortened) but had some fun highlights and reminded me how great of an analyst Paciorek was! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What strikes me most watching games from the 1980s is the relatively normal size of the players (and let's be frank, also many of the fans) compared to today. Watching the Mets Red Sox WS, Sox games from this era or other games with players were on average a 3-6 inches taller than the average person (most in the 6 foot to 6 foot 3 inch range) but at an average build (175-200 lbs).

Today, players are close height wise, perhaps an inch or two taller, but the weight is on average 20-30 lbs + heavier. The smallest players last year (Danny Mendick or Cesar Hernandez (listed as 5 10 195 lbs), would be in the top half in terms of weight on the 1988 team. Ozzie was listed at 5 11 150, Lance Johnson 5 10 160. Billy Hamilton was the only White Sox under 185 lbs last season (160), and he looked like a twig compared to everyone else.

• Like 1