Signing top tier free agents.

kleedawg

I see many of us on this board about to blow a gasket because we have yet to sign a FA to these multi 100 million dollar contracts. I understand the angst, but I would argue that this is not the year to do so. This is obviously not because of our contention window but because of this years class of FA's. 

I believe you sign young players entering the prime of their careers to those contracts. Harper/Machado types for example (Though I personally didn't want either specifically). No, I do not want this thread to relitigate that offseason please!!!. The players this year That fit the criteria are all shortstops (correa, seager, semien, etc) and don't fit our needs. 

Scherzer reportedly may get at least 42mil av on a 3 year contract and he is 37 years old. What could go wrong there? I know many will cry cheap when we don't sign one of these contracts especially when it fits the narrative. but really we should wait until next year for that.

My thoughts are open the coffers and get done a Jose Ramirez 7 year deal. whatever it takes to get it done.

For this year something like this is what I would suggest:

- Rodon 3yr 48 mil. (I discussed in other threads why I think his arm is not done)

- Chris Taylor at 2b (Next year he could play almost everyday, but move him around giving T.A., Robert, Moncada, Ramirez and the corner of an occasional day off.)

- Sign Robert Perez or Yan Gomes

- Players from Trading Keuchel & Kimbrel which could impact above.

- Getting another SP through trade from A's or Reds.

- sign Tepera

1 hour ago, kleedawg said:

I see many of us on this board about to blow a gasket because we have yet to sign a FA to these multi 100 million dollar contracts. I understand the angst, but I would argue that this is not the year to do so. This is obviously not because of our contention window but because of this years class of FA's. 

I believe you sign young players entering the prime of their careers to those contracts. Harper/Machado types for example (Though I personally didn't want either specifically). No, I do not want this thread to relitigate that offseason please!!!. The players this year That fit the criteria are all shortstops (correa, seager, semien, etc) and don't fit our needs. 

Scherzer reportedly may get at least 42mil av on a 3 year contract and he is 37 years old. What could go wrong there? I know many will cry cheap when we don't sign one of these contracts especially when it fits the narrative. but really we should wait until next year for that.

My thoughts are open the coffers and get done a Jose Ramirez 7 year deal. whatever it takes to get it done.

For this year something like this is what I would suggest:

- Rodon 3yr 48 mil. (I discussed in other threads why I think his arm is not done)

- Chris Taylor at 2b (Next year he could play almost everyday, but move him around giving T.A., Robert, Moncada, Ramirez and the corner of an occasional day off.)

- Sign Robert Perez or Yan Gomes

- Players from Trading Keuchel & Kimbrel which could impact above.

- Getting another SP through trade from A's or Reds.

- sign Tepera

I think your plan would make most posters happy, even the gasket-blowers 😊

Wildcard with Jose is putting him back at 2b, but if you were to take a player whose offensive skillset completely complements the sox weaknesses like a key in a lock its probably Seager and JR.

+ contact
+ walk rate
+ low ground ball +
+ versatility
+ slugging

In many ways, CLE is our perfect trading partner, and also our worst trading partner.