Who’d have believed KC has a plan on offense?

caulfield12

CHICAGO -- When Nick Pratto stepped to the plate Friday night against the Padres, he was mired in an 0-for-21 slump. He had not had a hit in nearly two weeks, since Aug. 13.

In the four games since, including Friday, the rookie first baseman is 8-for-17 with four doubles, three home runs and 10 RBIs.

The best game yet of Pratto’s young career came Tuesday night at Guaranteed Rate Field, when he went 4-for-5 with two home runs and a double, notching his first MLB multi-homer game and first four-hit game

Pratto’s process has been key to his surge, even throughout his slump. That’s what’s been most encouraging for the Royals to see from the 23-year-old.

“He had a plan on what he was trying to do, what he was seeing each day that wasn’t working and what he needed to do to make an adjustment,” manager Mike Matheny said. “If he can continue to do that and stay in that positive state of mind when things start heading in a tough direction … I think it leads you to being able to have a night like tonight.”

Pratto’s second home run of the game set a new franchise record for rookie home runs in a season with 57. His first home run tied the 1969 club’s 56 rookie home runs

…..

“It’s definitely a feeling of confidence, knowing that I can trust the work I’ve done and trust the homework and everything,” said Pratto, ranked by MLB Pipeline as the Royals' No. 2 prospect. “Continuing to do that and dominating my process before the game.”

anne rogers/mlb.com
Edited by caulfield12