9/16 Games

BamaDoc

Sox have a kid at W-S, Tommy Sommer, who has pitched his ass off this year, but he is a non-prospect.  Future Sox has 45 top prospects listed, including 22 or so pitchers, but Tommy is not in there.  Still, since he has pitched so well this year, why not promote him to Charlotte to close out the season and see what he can do.  Instead, they start Blewett with his 18 ERA.  Bama Doc, please explain this to me when you have the time.  Thanks in advance.

13 hours ago, oldsox said:

Sox have a kid at W-S, Tommy Sommer, who has pitched his ass off this year, but he is a non-prospect.  Future Sox has 45 top prospects listed, including 22 or so pitchers, but Tommy is not in there.  Still, since he has pitched so well this year, why not promote him to Charlotte to close out the season and see what he can do.  Instead, they start Blewett with his 18 ERA.  Bama Doc, please explain this to me when you have the time.  Thanks in advance.

I agree with you.  It makes no sense to me.  At some point, you reward performance and throw the reports out.  He has earned the right to pitch.  If he has maxed out on innings/unknown injury or soreness would be my only question .  123 ip on year.  I don't know about AAA but there is a giant roster at AA.  Add one more or move someone up?  He is 23, I think soon to be 24 so he is at the edge on age which to me might be even more of a reason.  He was a tenth rounder in 2021 so was probably a below slot bonus.  Maybe he is JAG but he has performed and there are a bunch of people pitching at this point who it would be a big improvement to be JAG.  He evidently throws around 90 mph so doesn't fit the mold.  In this day and age of the radar gun, a hard thrower gets a lot of chances but not so for guys who pitch.  He was an Indiana guy LOL maybe only reason drafted?