This Day In Sox History...June 7

Lip Man 1

June 7, 1965 - Sox third baseman Pete Ward’s appearance on the cover of Sports Illustrated was derailed at the last second when Muhammad Ali beat Charles “Sonny” Liston in the rematch for the heavyweight boxing championship. Ali got the cover shot when the fight photos arrived at the weekly magazine literally at the last possible publishing time.

Ward was sent four ‘test’ copies of the cover that never ran, as a keepsake by Art Berke, a White Sox fan who worked at the magazine as Director of Communications.  

The caption that never ran? “The New White Sox Power For A Pennant.”

Pete Ward, RIP: The un-cover boy | Throneberry Fields Forever

June 7, 1974 - During a game against the Red Sox, a fire broke out at Comiskey Park. It started in the main commissary under the right field stands. Several thousand fans were forced to go on the field for safety reasons but they left the grass in great shape without any damage. The game was delayed for approximately 90 minutes resuming at midnight. The White Sox eventually won 8-6. Dick Allen had three RBI’s in the game.

June 7, 1977 - The White Sox used the number one pick in the baseball draft to select Harold Baines. Sox owner Bill Veeck who lived in Maryland for a time, had first seen Baines when he was playing as a youngster in Little League. Baines' career eventually led him to being elected to the Hall of Fame after spending most of his career with the White Sox who retired his number #3. 

June 7, 1978 – In a game at Minnesota the White Sox used a six run second inning to help beat the Twins 8-3. The Sox got four hits that inning along with an error, two walks and a hit batsman to help the cause. Pitcher Ken Kravec was the beneficiary and picked up the win, which was the 6,000th in the history of the franchise.

• Like 1

I was at the game where there was a fire. I seem to remember it being in leftfield. A lot of smoke and a stadium full of people. I don't remember panic but it was frightening. if there was a stampede it would have been a disaster for the ages. My wife and I got out of Sox Park fast. It all calmed down pretty quick, but the sight of smoke and flames in a crowded stadium has stuck with me forever.

• Fire 1