Carlos Rodon getting lit up

Carlos Rodon made his second Grapefruit League start Wednesday, which is more than he could say last spring.

But his first and last pitches ended up in the seats, and in between, though the Yankees left-hander built his workload up to 60 pitches, there was a noticeable lack of life on his signature fastball.

“Didn’t really have the fastball velo I wanted, but it’s one of those days,” Rodon said after allowing three runs in three-plus innings in a 4-3 loss to the Rays at Steinbrenner Field. “It’s one of those days you gotta be able to pitch without the fastball and use some other things, so that was good to feel that in a game that no one really gives a s–-t about because it doesn’t matter, it’s spring training.

“But the competing side of me, don’t want to give up a home run on the front end, home run on the back end. But there was some good pitches in between.”

Edited by chitownsportsfan

I know there aren't many more meaningless things than spring training stats from your stars, but I am also thrilled we didn't give Rodon his lottery ticket contract.  It is going to be insanely awful for a guy who has never stayed healthy or consistent.

• Like 1

It's always such a shame to see a guy with so much potential get his career derailed because he couldn't stay healthy. Too many stories like that in sports. Of course there was always the speculation that Rodon didn't really do enough to condition his body properly in the offseason, but sometimes you just can't control how your body chooses to react to stressful things, no matter how much you try to prepare it.