Guillen wants Ordonez to stay

DBAHO

Hmmm I wonder if this'll affect anythin,

Ozzie Guillen was back in Venezuela when a report surfaced out of the general managers meetings in Phoenix that the White Sox are shopping star right fielder Magglio Ordonez.

After returning to his Florida home Friday, the new Sox manager said he firmly hopes he will be writing Ordonez's name in the lineup every day next season. But with Ordonez and the Sox still far apart in talks over a contract extension, Guillen couldn't predict Ordonez's immediate future.

"I think we want to re-sign him," Guillen said. "I want him. But I can't control that. I'd rather keep him, but it's a business."

Guillen's whirlwind off-season hasn't slowed down since he celebrated a World Series title with the Florida Marlins. He returned to his native country this week to meet with friends and fulfill dozens of media commitments. Guillen is the first Venezuelan to be named a major-league manager, a major topic of discussion in the baseball-crazed country.

"It was a huge deal there," Guillen said. "I must have done 20,000 newspaper and TV interviews."

Guillen's new job has him so busy that he still hasn't found time for his proposed meeting with Sox first baseman Frank Thomas.

"Not yet," Guillen said. "But I've talked to [general manager Ken Williams], and I don't think there's going to be any problem. I just want him to be the way we want him to be. Not 'me,' but 'we.' I need him on the field. The way he is going to act is the way the kids are going to act."

Guillen said he hopes to talk to Thomas as soon as next week. What Thomas feels about Guillen's hiring is unknown, but Guillen's candid remarks about Thomas during his opening news conference have been widely publicized.

In assessing the hiring of Guillen last week, an ESPN.com report said he would be popular with sportswriters because he "does not have a mute button," but added, "[Guillen] can not possibly succeed while offering blunt, day-to-day assessments of his players."

Guillen said he and Thomas will get along fine if Thomas understands the organization wants him to change, not just the manager.

"A lot of people think I want him to do it my way," Guillen said. "It's not my way. It's our way, the White Sox way. We have to care about each other. It wasn't all his fault. I told the coaches if all those things I heard happened the last couple of years, they had to say something to him and not let him do whatever he wants to do."

What specifically does Guillen want Thomas to do?

"Be there on time, and I want you to run hard all the time, and not have times when you're frustrated with [your at-bat] and you don't want to [run hard]," he said. "I want to show the people, to let the fans know, that we'll play the right way."

If Kenny and Ozzie sit down and discuss the finances of the team, and Ozzie tells Kenny he wants Maggs back, and Kenny actually listens instead of picking ear wax out of his ear with a pen cap, then expect Carlos Lee to be traded.

We can't afford Lee and Ordonez. It's not possible. It is possible for 24 major league teams, but not the small-market Sox. We are poor, or did you forget that?

If Kenny and Ozzie sit down and discuss the finances of the team, and Ozzie tells Kenny he wants Maggs back, and Kenny actually listens instead of picking ear wax out of his ear with a pen cap, then expect Carlos Lee to be traded. 

We can't afford Lee and Ordonez.  It's not possible.  It is possible for 24 major league teams, but not the small-market Sox.  We are poor, or did you forget that?

If we move Konerko we can keep both Maggs and Lee.

Ok here are 5 possible options for teams that could take on Paulie's contract.

1) Los Angeles Dodgers - Evans likes him, they don't hav a good offensive 1B, this is easily our best chance of makin a deal. But I still think Evans would rather take Lee 1st, than Maggs, than Paulie. Valentin could be a possible throw in, with Isturis comin back this way.

2) Baltimore Orioles - If they don't sign Vlad or Sheff, this could become quite possible. Even if they do sign one of those 2, Jay Gibbons mite not move to 1B, do Konerko could still be an option. Da short Left Center fence I think at Camden Yards could mean Konerko could put up good #'s there.

3) Tampa Bay Devil Rays - If they don't end up with Tino Martinez, they mite end up wantin Paulie. They r gonna spend bout $10 mill in FA, and if they r willing take on some of Tino's $7 million salary they could do the same with Paulie's.

4) Arizona Diamondbacks - Not much of a chance but only if they don't end up with Richie Sexson, cos they didn't want to trade their young arms e.g Jose Valverde.

5) Detroit Tigers - Carlos Pena could move to DH, but I'd think the Tiggies would want us to take back Bobby Higginson's bloated contract.

2) Baltimore Orioles - If they don't sign Vlad or Sheff, this could become quite possible. Even if they do sign one of those 2, Jay Gibbons mite not move to 1B, do Konerko could still be an option. Da short Left Center fence I think at Camden Yards could mean Konerko could put up good #'s there.

The Orioles have supposedly made an offer to Florida for Derrek Lee.