Who should have won AL Central?

winninguglyin83

an interesting note from Phil Rogers' column today. He borrowed it from stat wiz Bill James.

In essence, the numbers didn't add up to a second-place finish for the White Sox:

Doing the math: For the second year in a row, Pythagorean standings (a Bill James tool that uses runs scored and runs allowed to figure expected victories and losses) show the White Sox, not the Twins, should have won the AL Central.

In 2002 and '03, the Sox outscored their opponents by 134 runs and were 10 games above .500; the Twins were 45 games above .500 while outscoring their opponents by 99 runs. No wonder Ron Gardenhire outlasted Jerry Manuel.

Thanks again for a job well done, Jerry.

an interesting note from Phil Rogers' column today. He borrowed it from stat wiz Bill James.

In essence, the numbers didn't add up to a second-place finish for the White Sox:

Doing the math: For the second year in a row, Pythagorean standings (a Bill James tool that uses runs scored and runs allowed to figure expected victories and losses) show the White Sox, not the Twins, should have won the AL Central.

In 2002 and '03, the Sox outscored their opponents by 134 runs and were 10 games above .500; the Twins were 45 games above .500 while outscoring their opponents by 99 runs. No wonder Ron Gardenhire outlasted Jerry Manuel.

I disagree, the blame goes straight onto the players. If you don't care and don't hustle, and don't pick up your teammates, you won't win. I heard a saying today.

" I would rather have players that make others great, than great players"

And how true has that been for the Sox?

I don't care what ant mathematical model says the only way you are going to win anything in this leauge is to play your heart out for 162 games. They totally mailed in the 1st half of the season & even at then end whe they had still had a chance to win they pulled a choke job in the rollerdome & that was it. Teams with heart win championships,,,,PERIOD. Maybe Ozzie Guillen can add some heart to this team where Jerry the tinkerer couldn't.

If the Sox had played with any heart, emotion, or fortitude the first 3 months of the season, we would have done what the great statistics said that we should have.

However, this team was uninspired and lethargic. That falls on the players, yes, but it also reflects the manager - who is now gone, thank God. Some past great sports mind once said that a team can take on the personality of their coach/manager. Never was that more true than on the 2003 White Sox.

I'm sure Jerry is STILL sleeping since the season ended. Rip Van Manuel.

I felt there was no excuse to lose this division with the talent they had in '03. They had it all, great hitting, great starters, a good bullpen, suprisingly good defense, but the only thing they lacked was speed. Speed might be just that important though, because you look at the Marlins and see the 1, 2 punch at the top of their lineup. There is no doubt that the Sox had more talent than the fish, but their only real speed threat was Willie Harris and he never played.