KW Interview on Espn 1000

Soxbadger

Today in the car I heard KW interviewed about the Colon trade and here is a brief synopsis of what I remember:

KW claims that the White Sox have been in fact going after Colon since December, just that the talks with the Expos kept breaking down. This week he asked the Expos who he could acquire to try and finish the deal, El Duque was one of the people the Expos were interested in.

He not the Yankees made the contact, and in his discussions with Cashman pretty much used the arguement that not only would the Yankees be getting something, they would also be preventing the Red Sox from getting Colon.

He said that they already have a reliever "on the line", but that Major League rules stipulate that he can not say who until he passes the physical, if the physical is part of the contract. Saying that he has an "agreement" but that its not final, I assume this is Flash Gordon and if he passes the physical on Monday his signing will be announced.

Williams also expressed that the White Sox are thinking about resigning Colon to a longer deal, but that will wait until after spring training and once the White Sox see if Colon is a good fit. Also he said that if he does try and sign him long term, that the negotiations will be quiet.

Seems that Williams used the Yankees against the Red Sox very well, knowing that the Yankees would rather not see Colon in their division and needed a reliever with the losses of Stanton and Mendoza. He also actually looked ahead and started going after Gordon before he got rid of Osuna.

In my opinion the biggest loss by the White Sox was Biddle, but in reality we have a plethora of young arms that can replace him, and Williams said that he was going to use in house talent to replace Biddle in long relief.

If anyone lost in this trade its the Yankees, seeing as El Duque most likely could of been just as good of a reliever as Osuna, but they were not going to let the Red Sox have Colon. They paid the price and we reaped the benifits.

Strange how in the end Minaya playing the Yankees and the Red Sox against each other helped the White Sox the most , because there is no doubt in my mind that had the Yankees not thought the Red Sox were going to get Colon, they would of never settled for the El Duque trade.

I think that the White Sox have definitely improved not only their starting rotation, but also their bullpen. With Gordon, Marte, and Koch, they can dominate the last 2-3 innings, and thats not even counting the young reliever talent we have.

SB

Thanks for all that info Soxbadger. It was real informative for someone like me who can't catch all the local Chicago news.

I am thinking Edwin Almonte will be his in house solution for Biddle...but Munoz and Stewart as well as Dave Sanders will get a shot. I love the idea of bringing in Flash and I can't wait till it becomes official. I'm thinking he will be in good shape.

Thanks for all that info Soxbadger.  It was real informative for someone like me who can't catch all the local Chicago news. 

I am thinking Edwin Almonte will be his in house solution for Biddle...but Munoz and Stewart as well as Dave Sanders will get a shot.  I love the idea of bringing in Flash and I can't wait till it becomes official.  I'm thinking he will be in good shape.

with jon rauch getting a long look at spring training. there will be a long look at some of the other prospect which i am most happy in.