One more thing on the KW interview

Guest JimH

The smart PR thing would be Greg Maddox, but that won't happen either.

Won't happen is damn right. Between dirt-cheap Shingo and Maddux, that's one potentially high-reward move too many for this inept franchise.

I mean, if we were willing to commit 36/3 to overrated Phatolo, giving 12/2 plus performance-based insentives to 1st ballot HOF'er/Chicago icon/fan draw Maddux one year removed from a 2.60 ERA season......to pitch in a very weak hitting ALC.....simulteneously keeping him away from WS-bound Cubs....no, that makes too much sense.

Let's pin all our hopes and the welfare of the franchise on Ownedweiss and Judy instead. After the embarassing 2003 (all star year; special 1983-1993-2003 historical connection) choke-job, with ongoing park renovaitons AND with the impending headlines saluting Cubian triumph, where did people get this krazy idea that White Sox are in a DIRE need of instant success in 2004..... :huh

Won't happen is damn right.  Between dirt-cheap Shingo and Maddux, that's one potentially high-reward moves too many for this inept franchise.

I mean, if we were willing to commit 36/3 to overrated Phatolo, giving 12/2 plus performance-based insentives to 1st ballot HOF'er/Chicago icon/fan draw Maddux one year removed from a 2.60 ERA season......to pitch in a very weak hitting ALC.....simulteneously keeping him away from WS-bound Cubs....no, that makes too much sense. 

Let's pin all our hopes and the welfare of the franchise on Ownedweiss and Judy instead. After the embarassing 2003 (all star year;  special 1983-1993-2003 historical connection) choke-job, with ongoing park renovaitons AND with the impending headlines saluting Cubian triumph, where did people get this krazy idea that White Sox are in a DIRE need of instant success in 2004.....  :huh

schoeneweiss 30 -32 5.08

maddux 289 - 163 2.89

hmmm...whats wrong with you brando...schoeneweiss is 7 million dollars cheaper than maddux and maddux has 133 more career losses than ownedweisss :D

Won't happen is damn right.  Between dirt-cheap Shingo and Maddux, that's one potentially high-reward moves too many for this inept franchise.

Let's pin all our hopes and the welfare of the franchise on Ownedweiss and Judy instead. After the embarassing 2003 (all star year;  special 1983-1993-2003 historical connection) choke-job, with ongoing park renovaitons AND with the impending headlines saluting Cubian triumph, where did people get this krazy idea that White Sox are in a DIRE need of instant success in 2004.....  :huh

Aen't you aware that Maddux has repeatedly made it clear that he's not one bit interested in pitching in the American League?

Aen't you aware that Maddux has repeatedly made it clear that he's not one bit interested in pitching in the American League?

Yes.

Roger Clemens had also just as repeatedly made clear that he shall retire after 2003.

Once Maddy realizes nobody is paying 20 over 2 and considers his options:

a) go to Cubs who originally dissed him and be overshadowed by Prior, Wood and Sosa......while going up against Astros, Cardinals and Reds (Kearns, Dunn, Jimenez, Griffey, Casey, etc) offenses, something that can't be to good for one's ERA.

b.) go to Cubs' rival.....prove to Clemens that he can outpitch him even in the AL and maybe even contend for the WS ring in a different league.....all the while padding his ERA and increasing his 2005 value against such offensive powerhouses as Tigers (terrible), Tribe (really bad), Twins (below average) and Royals (average if either Sweeny or Gonzo have any sort of nagging setback and team BA with RISP drops below .305....which it will).

Of course this is White Sox we are talking about.....It was a rather pleasant crack pipe trip while it lasted. :lol:

I haven't heard this anywhwre but here, fwiw. However, I do remember seeing a quote from Maddux that he would not rule out pitching for either Chicago team. Last time I checked, one of those was in the American League.

Astacio is hurt and it's likely he won't contribute to any team for several months at least.

Just heard he'll be ready to go for ST but may be behind others getting to full strength. I think he'd be worth the wait. He'd be my 2nd choices after Maddux.

Me thinks age has finally caught up with Burkett but he'd still be my 3rd choice.

El Duque is the only other one that interests me.

I'd also like to see a link to anything that quotes Maddux as saying he won't play in the AL or that he even has a preference to the NL.

I don't think he ever said he wouldn't pitch in the AL.. Just that he liked NL ball better. IIRC that was in response to Anaheim metioning their interest in him right after the Braves declined arbitration.

Why can't we have Greg Maddux? I wanna feel good about this team and stealing the Professor from the Cubs will put a giant f***ing smile on me face and might just force me to double my game-attending budget.

If we were willing to commit almost 7 Mill per for Frayed Labrum (career ERA in mid-4.00s) or 12 Mill per to an overweight hard-thrower (career ERA of 4.00).....WHAT is the BIG deal about giving a soft-tossing HOF'er/fan draw/Cub dahrling 14 Mill over 2? Trade Konerko and a couple of prospects for Perez, give him away, anything-- just make the f***ing room, Kenny!!!!

As seemingly unspectacular as GM was in 2003, his walk to K ratio was better than in 2002 when he had a 2.60 ERA AND he had an impressive outing against the red-hot Cub (2 ER, 1 of them totally Robert Fick's fault) on the road in the playoffs...... I see Maddux as a low-to-mid-3.00 ERA pitcher in ALC and at least create some buzz 'roud the franchise. Which is more than I could say for Ponson and to a lesser extent Colon.

I think your preaching to the choir about Maddux.

Hed cost us less than we were going to spend on Colon, $10 mil for 3 years, and could put up better numbers than Colon for the next 2 years.

Also it would stick it to the Cubs, and maybe, just maybe the Sox owners will think it through and realize some of those Cubs "fans" will pay money to see Maddux pitch regardless of if it is on the South Side or North Side.

Sb

Maddux brings intangibles FAR greater than Colon:

--Leadership and mentoring the youngsters

--Chicago icon....you'll get bandwagon Cub/Maddux fans in the park or at least TV.

--Sign to Sox fans to wake up and gloat all over their Flubbie friends.

My Bitter Sox Fan Conspiracy Theory of the Day is that the Cubs may have already reached a discount agreement with Maddux and are waiting to unveil it during-- MWWAHAHA!-- Soxfest.....Mommy!

Maddux brings intangibles FAR greater than Colon:

--Leadership and mentoring the youngsters

--Chicago icon....you'll get bandwagon Cub/Maddux fans, too.

--Sign to Sox fans to wake up and gloat all over their Flubbie friends.

My Bitter Sox Fan Conspiracy Theory of the Day is that the Cubs may have already reached a discount agreement with Maddux and are waiting to unveil it during-- MWWAHAHA!-- Soxfest.....Mommy!

From your mouth to God's (Jerry's) ears...