Are the spankees...

southsideirish

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It's called being bailed out in a situation where you owe a player under contract millions of dollars.  I don't think there's anything else to it than that.  Now we would all call it an act with no pride, but then again, none of us have ever had to pay Jeff Weaver 7 million dollars to get knocked around.

That was just one example. There were several others in the last few seasons, but I am too damned lazy to look them up right now. Sorry. :ph34r:

My whole point was that the Spanks get what they want, when they want it and on their terms and the 'other team(s)' act like they were blessed because they got to deal with the Spanks... :puke

they do have something everyone wants...$$$$...when have they ever had good minor leaguers...

I see what you an Aboz are saying. Usually when prospects are traded for the names you guys are talking about they are usually more ready to become major leaguers. They are not right out of the draft or low level minor leaguers. I can see a team dumping salary, but for Odalis Perez or Carlos Beltran they better get something better than a low level minor leaguer. Didn't they trade MIke Lowell? Derek Jeter, Pettite, Bernie Williams, Jorge Posada, Alfonso Soriano, Mariano Rivera are all from their system. I am sure there are more that I am missing. Fact is they do produce good players.

They do Buy...its true they sign guys to outrageous contracts so no one can touch them and then they find teams who are doing bad and are desparate for cash...it happens every year and will this year...I have a question: Wasn't the A Rod signing with the Rangers supposed to be an attempt to stop the Yankees from all their overspending? I guess worked well.

My whole point was that the Spanks get what they want, when they want it and on their terms and the 'other team(s)' act like they were blessed because they got to deal with the Spanks... :puke

I think one doesn't have to look any further than this deal to prove that comment.

That was just one example.  There were several others in the last few seasons, but I am too damned lazy to look them up right now.  Sorry.  :ph34r:

I still don't get where you are getting the idea that the other teams "were blessed" to deal with the Yankees, doesn't make much sense to me, but perhaps I am overlooking something.

I still don't get where you are getting the idea that the other teams "were blessed" to deal with the Yankees, doesn't make much sense to me, but perhaps I am overlooking something.

C'mon Aboz.. don't you get all giddy when you think about George calling to take a teams star player.. :lol:

Of course AZ a few years back didn't have a lefty (correct me if I'm wrong) but they had two powerful aces in Schill and Randy. The Yankees this year don't have that.

Pardon me, but how could two pages worth of posts go by without anyone catching this?? One poster even brought up that the D'backs had Brian Anderson in their rotation...

Has everyone forgotten that powerful ace #2, RANDY JOHNSON, was a lefty himself?? I haven't been watching all of his starts in a mirror over the years, have I????

Aboz, are you still asleep this morning?

Pardon me, but how could two pages worth of posts go by without anyone catching this??  One poster even brought up that the D'backs had Brian Anderson in their rotation...

Has everyone forgotten that powerful ace #2, RANDY JOHNSON, was a lefty himself??  I haven't been watching all of his starts in a mirror over the years, have I????

GD'it Rex.. what did I tell you about this?!?!?

:P

Pardon me, but how could two pages worth of posts go by without anyone catching this??  One poster even brought up that the D'backs had Brian Anderson in their rotation...

Has everyone forgotten that powerful ace #2, RANDY JOHNSON, was a lefty himself??  I haven't been watching all of his starts in a mirror over the years, have I????

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

What can I say, silly me, silly me...

Someone should whip me into shape for not realizing that. :whip

s*** Rex, that was great. Good post. How the hell did I miss that?

We did.....  He had a nice April and then declined consistently until traded in July.  :)

Correctamundo!!!!!!!!!! Plus I remember him as a selfish ballplayer with us. I remember when he was asked to bunt to move the player over. He kept on trying to bunt for a hit and eventually fouled out. Sacrifice yourself and advance the runner. Very selfish.

Ag Tm Lg G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG TB SH SF IBB HBP GDP

CHW AL 93 352 68 91 20 6 8 42 22 8 49 51 .259 .348 .418 147 4 1 0 0 0

SFG NL 46 180 30 48 10 3 3 9 7 3 23 22 .267 .353 .406 73 1 0 0 1 1

Didn't do too much better with the Giants.. :rolleyes:

QUOTE (aboz56 @ Feb 16 2004, 11:05 AM)

Here's a question for everyone...

If George doesn't win this year with A Rod, what does he do next?

Sign Pedro after this season and some others?

Steff: Geez Aboz.. aren't we depressed enough about this year..?

The answer is yes, yes he will. We are depressed, just as Steff says, but I got this hunch that "The Boss" doesn't care what any baseball fan, other than the Yankees, thinks or feels. He will open that checkbook up next off season and buy some more top players. The Yankees don't need a minor league system as long as Steinbrenner keeps handing out those blank checks he is famous for. How long can it last for the Yanks and baseball is the question that needs to be answered, however, if you look at the history of the game, the Yankees have dominated the majority of seasons. Granted there was no free agency stuff to deal with back in the Golden Age, but it seems they did what was needed to win and put togther a competitive team. Can they be beat in 2004? I think so because anything can happen, but acquiring A-Rod with a contract structured the way it seems to be worked out measn the Yanks still have flexibility to go out and get someone else if needed.