Bible passage help

southsideirish

One possibility (as in my case), is that said person doesn't follow one religion and their practices, but more of a meld of religions and their beliefs.  Just a thought.

Right, I'm just saying that of the people I know. Usually very liberal, they don't want to be known as religious because of the negative connotations that come with that word. They have religious beliefs and would go to church if they weren't afraid of how people would treat them there or upset by many of the church's docterines.

So, the question is, can you be religious outside the Christian church?

I can't see why not. Jewish people can be religious, Hindus can be religious, people in the Islamic religion can be religious, to me the term 'religious' can apply to any religion. But that is just MHO.

I think you're being rhetorical...? :huh

But why not..? Religion, and how one chooses to practice it, is right for each individual... no?

Right, I'm just saying that of the people I know. Usually very liberal, they don't want to be known as religious because of the negative connotations that come with that word. They have religious beliefs and would go to church if they weren't afraid of how people would treat them there or upset by many of the church's docterines.

I think you are correct. To most "religious" means that you are a preaching type of person or of a certain denomination. "Spiritual" I believe most take as believing in a higher power, but just not sure of what they actually believe in or taking bits and pieces of different religions that they follow. It is never good to debate one's faith or what a person chooses to believe in. As I said this was never an argument I had with another person. As you can see I know very little of the subject but I am very willing to learn about it. This is for my own knowledge, not so I can go back and tell someone "Ha ha, your wrong, your Bible is a sucky translation" No, this is for myself, so I know and understand what I am reading correctly. I thank everyone for responding to my post. Your help was much needed and I greatly appreciate everyone's contribution. Thanks again.

I can't see why not.  Jewish people can be religious, Hindus can be religious, people in the Islamic religion can be religious, to me the term 'religious' can apply to any religion.  But that is just MHO.

I meant, as a non-Christian, a person with Christian ideals who used to be a Christian. So, what's the difference between spiritual and religious?

All in the personal interpretation, no? If you choose to believe that Jesus is God's son.. so be it, IMO. Expecially where religion is concerned.

But hey.. some get off on proving others wrong no matter what the topic.

I don't believe this was ever the question at hand to tell you the truth Steff. Interpretation is not coming into the equation here. What you may be referring to is the translation from Greek into English. In the Bible that I follow the passage John 1.1 reads "and the Word was God." Most Christian denominations base their religion off of the Holy Trinity and this would seem to prove that Jesus is God. If you take the translation from the Jehovah's Witnesses Bible it states "and the word was a god." That is a total different translation and it would mean that Jesus and God are two seperate entities. The Jehovah's Witnesses base their religion off of Jesus being the Arch Angel Michael and the son of God, but not God himself. This passage would prove to them that that is true. It is not the interpretation that is in question, it is the translation.

I meant, as a non-Christian, a person with Christian ideals who used to be a Christian. So, what's the difference between spiritual and religious?

I don't understand the first statement.

As for the second, the difference to me (for me, however you want to state it) is that religious is for someone who practices and has beliefs in one religion. A spiritual person would not practice one religion, but incorporate many religious beliefs into their lives. But as I said, this is just my interpretation.

As for the second, the difference to me (for me, however you want to state it) is that religious is for someone who practices and has beliefs in one religion.  A spiritual person would not practice one religion, but incorporate many religious beliefs into their lives.  But as I said, this is just my interpretation.

Fan, would you also believe that a person would be considered "spiritual" if that person believed in a higher power, but did not really have an idea or a certain higher power to believe in?

As for the second, the difference to me (for me, however you want to state it) is that religious is for someone who practices and has beliefs in one religion.  A spiritual person would not practice one religion, but incorporate many religious beliefs into their lives.  But as I said, this is just my interpretation.

My first statement, just meant that since I'm a Buddhist, I was curious about people who had left the Christian Church and no longer claimed to be religious but spiritual.

And thanks, you definitely helped to clear that up!

And, since I am a Buddhist, I definitely DO believe people outside the Christian church can be religious. I've just been wondering about the boundary between spiritual and religious.

It's a popular one Fan. Many I know believe in "God, Heaven, etc, etc.." but aren't sure how or why they believe it... and choose not to use a "religion" to explain, or guide, it to them.

At least I think that's what you mean...? Kinda sorta..? :unsure:

It's a popular one Fan. Many I know believe in "God, Heaven, etc, etc.."  but aren't sure how or why they believe it... and choose not to use a "religion" to explain, or guide, it to them.

At least I think that's what you mean...? Kinda sorta..?  :unsure:

Exactly!

I am not exactly sure why I believe in God (afterlife, reincarnation, karma, etc), but part of it is seeing/experiencing God (higher power, 'The Big Cheese,' whatever you call the main spiritual being in your life) in everyday events. Seeing my nephew in a matter of minutes after bith is one of the biggies. Another the second chance my dad was given (and he took). Those are some of the ways I've seen/felt God (the big Dude as I like to call God) in my life.

Exactly!

I am not exactly sure why I believe in God (afterlife, reincarnation, karma, etc), but part of it is seeing/experiencing God (higher power, 'The Big Cheese,' whatever you call the main spiritual being in your life) in everyday events.  Seeing my nephew in a matter of minutes after bith is one of the biggies.  Another the second chance my dad was given (and he took).  Those are some of the ways I've seen/felt God (the big Dude as I like to call God) in my life.

I believe that is why many are non denominational Christians. When you belong to a certain denomination or sect it tends to get very political and things get changed to suit the religion's beliefs.

All those things you have mentioned will definately make a person feel spiritual. No doubt about that.

The Bible. The, as in singular. Like there is one and only one. There are so many different variations in existance tday, it's mind boggling. How can you identify one as The Bible.

Then again, maybe the true Bible doesn't even exist today. How many changes, interpretations, translations have there been throughout history. How many changes were made to put forth an agenda? Did King James have an agenda? Is that why there is a King James Version? Who selected which of the gospels were worthy of inclusion into the Bible and which ones weren't? Were there only 4 gospels, or only 4 men who chronicled the life and times of Jesus Christ?

I don't know the answers. I only know that there are plenty of questions.