Corwin Malone

CSF

Last year, everybody had this guy as the next big guy to be appearing at Comiskey (along with Rauch). This year, with the talk being Munoz, Almonte, & Diaz, I haven't heard a thing about him. Has he fallen off the radar, or is he still a key piece to the puzzle?

Malone was hurt last season and struggled mightily with his control. I believe he will start in AA, but Jim Bullard believes he will be in AAA if he's healthy.

Malone hasn't been forgotten, I just think the SOx realized he needs more seasoning. He's got great stuff and can flat out pitch. He was still good dispite giving up way too many walks and pitching hurt.

This year should be better for Malone, but he still has a lot to work on. He's incredibly young and will not see the majors this year, until September, maybe.

My take on Corwin:

Corwin is young. He was drafted out of HS and was more of a football player in HS.

He had very average number in both 1999 and 2000 and broke out in 2001. Sometimes I think as soon as a guy has one great year, we expect him to duplicate it or get better each year and that just does not happen.

I think 2002 was a combination of Corwin reading his press clippings and the Sox tinkering with him somewhat. He has two main pitches and both are hard. The Sox wanted him to throw a changeup more to become more of a complete pitcher. Sometimes you have to take a step backward to take two steps forward.

Corwin did not do well early on with the change and fought it, from what I heard. It became a situation of the player wanting to pitch one way and the organization wanting something else.

I think Corwin just needs a little maturity and to learn to work through difficulties. At times he was dominant and other times he couldn't find the plate. There is no question about his talent, but I do question him becoming a solid Major League starter without adding the consistent off-speed pitch to his repetoire.

I don't think the Sox have given up on him, nor should anyone else. Sometimes we just have to remember that these guys coming out of HS mature at different speeds and handling adversity differently.

If he can turn it around, then you will see a guy that can be really nasty. But I think he has a lot to learn before that will happen. He should be a guy on the AA/AAA fence to start the year, depending on what shakes out of big league camp and who ends up in Charlotte from there.

why the hell was he pitching hurt???

I think Malone kept it quiet, but right when they found out they shut him down immediately.

Of course, often when I guy is really struggling, he is throwing hurt, especially when a guy pitched as good as Malone did the year before.

Me and Jason talk about how rare it is to find a hard thrown lefty all the time.......

I think Corwin is just scracthing the surface of his ability....... and he's going to be one helluva pitcher sooner rather than later.

I think a sign of his nastiness would be...... he walked as many as he struck out....... yet still had a era in the 3's and a winning record.

Btw...... does anyone besides me think that his injury might have something to do with his control issues?

Guest hotsoxchick1
Me and Jason talk about how rare it is to find a hard thrown lefty all the time.......

I think Corwin is just scracthing the surface of his ability....... and he's going to be one helluva pitcher sooner rather than later.

I think a sign of his nastiness would be...... he walked as many as he struck out....... yet still had a era in the 3's and a winning record.

Btw...... does anyone besides me think that his injury might have something to do with his control issues?

hard to argue that one there murc.....what i want to know (and maybe jim can shed a bit of light on this)... whats wrong with our pitching program to have so many go down with the similar type of injury all at once?????. you would have thought that a red flag would have rose a few questions in 2001 wouldnt you??? what do they do to get them back healthy again, those minor guys???.. i know the minor guys dont come up here often enough to the lisle facility and reahab.. so where do they go??? what do they do to get back to full strength.... i know the birmingham guys are very fortunate to have UAB there within their grasp for the best treatment of sports med in the USA......do they have a program there for our guys??? just wondering.......

hard to argue that one there murc.....what i want to know (and maybe jim can shed a bit of light on this)... whats wrong with our pitching program to have so many go down with the similar type of injury all at once?????. you would have thought that a red flag would have rose a few questions in 2001 wouldnt you??? what do they do to get them back healthy again, those minor guys???.. i know the minor guys dont come up here often enough to the lisle facility and reahab.. so where do they go??? what do they do to get back to full strength.... i know the birmingham guys are very fortunate to have UAB there within their grasp for the best treatment of sports med in the USA......do they have a program there for our guys??? just wondering.......

The Sox rehab facility for Minor League guys and off-season rehab is in Tucson. They go there for the most part.

I read somewhere that the Sox have actually had less injuries than other teams over the last 10 years. It just doesn't seem that way, but the stats I saw backed it up.

The Sox rehab facility for Minor League guys and off-season rehab is in Tucson. They go there for the most part.

I read somewhere that the Sox have actually had less injuries than other teams over the last 10 years. It just doesn't seem that way, but the stats I saw backed it up.

I saw those same stats. If you take out 2001, we'd really be a healthy team over the past ten years.

Anyway, all organizations suffer set backs. Sure the Sox have a had some, but the Cubs have lost a ton of arms with injuries.

In general, many prospects will falter because of injury. Last year, Malone was one of the only ones to get hurt if I recall. Most of them were coming back and if they went down, it was simply due to them coming back from an injury. Stumm went down again, but he was coming back.

I'd actually say last year was really pretty injury free.