The government and owning your own small business

Texsox

A man owned a small farm in West Texas. The Wage and Hour Department of Texas claimed he was not paying proper wages to his lp and sent an agent to interview him.

"I need a list of your employees and how much you pay them," demanded the agent.

"Well, there's my hired hand who's been with me for 3 years. I pay him $600 a week plus free room and board. The cook has been here for 18 months, and I pay her $500 a month plus free room and board. Then there's the half-wit that works about 18 hours a day. He makes $10 a week and I buy him chewing tobacco," replied the farmer.

"That's the guy I want to talk to; the half-wit," says the agent.

The farmer says, "That would be me."

A man owned a small farm in West Texas.  The Wage and Hour Department of Texas claimed he was not paying proper wages to his lp and sent an agent to interview him.

"I need a list of your employees and how much you pay them," demanded the agent.

"Well, there's my hired hand who's been with me for 3 years.  I pay him $600 a week plus free room and board.  The cook has been here for 18 months, and I pay her $500 a month plus free room and board.  Then there's the half-wit that works about 18 hours a day.  He makes $10 a week and I buy him chewing tobacco," replied the farmer.

"That's the guy I want to talk to; the half-wit," says the agent.

The farmer says, "That would be me."

Welcome to Texas.

Welcome to Texas.

Especially to West Texas, where the women are beautiful and the living is hard.

I head out to Big Bend at least once a year and the Davis Mountains for a week each summer. Awesome areas. Last year the laurel was in bloom after some hard rains. The most beautiful thing I've seen.

Especially to West Texas, where the women are beautiful and the living is hard.

I head out to Big Bend at least once a year and the Davis Mountains for a week each summer. Awesome areas. Last year the laurel was in bloom after some hard rains. The most beautiful thing I've seen.

We're getting ready to build a house, so money is tight to even take a long weekend drive, etc. But I really want to get to Big Bend, especially right now being wildflower season and all... it's beautiful this time of year around here.

We're getting ready to build a house, so money is tight to even take a long weekend drive, etc.  But I really want to get to Big Bend, especially right now being wildflower season and all... it's beautiful this time of year around here.

I like to backpack and Big Bend has so much diversity. A couple nights in the Chisos Mountains than maybe a night or two in the dessert always leaves me feeling better.