It won't be long

aboz56

I don't think you have seen enough baseball then.

Aaron Rowand, while not possessing the greatest range, does actually have pretty good range.  I remember watching the Yanks-Sox series and seeing Rowand easily get to balls that Bernie Williams let drop in, and Williams range IMO is probably just a little below average.

I think we are almost spoiled.  We have Lee in LF, who has gone from a defensive liability to being one of the best defensive LFers in the game, Rowand who is above-average defensive in CF, Maggs who is average, and then Harris who is exceptional due to his God-given talent and being able to read the balls well.  Those 2 in CF made Everett look like he had s*** for range in CF last year, when really Everett's range is right around mediocre too.

I have seen plenty of baseball and plenty of Rowand. I have seen balls hit right at him where he takes an angle cut at it and almost a half circle to catch it. He has made routine plays look like tough plays that he barely made because he doesn't get a lot of reads well.

And on Bernie, I would consider him a liability these days. He has lost a lot of speed and can not cover the outfield like he used to. He isn't really average anymore at all.

Anyways, that is my opinion on the subject :D

Here's a scenario that may play out.

Frank's hammy puts him on the 15 day. Reed get's his chance to swing the bat at the big league level.

Won't happen because every spot on the 40 man roster is filled.

As for Reed, I'd keep him down in AAA until September. With Timo Perez platooning with Rowand, you don't need another lefty bat unless he's pulling another Birmingham on us.

All of this is moot considering there is absolutely no room on the 40 man since Dransfeldt's contract was purchased. Also, I'd prefer to call up Borchard even if he's hitting merely "mediocre". The Sox used another option on Borchard by optioning him to AAA this Spring so Joe can fly abck and forth between Chicago and Charlotte as much as the Sox please.