Pro teams and cities...

wsbaseball

One team cities, US, that I can think of from the top of my head. I'm only counting the Big 4 of baseball, football, hockey and basketball.

Memphis (Grizzlies)

Sacramento (Kings)

Salt Lake City (Jazz)

San Jose (Sharks)

Jacksonville (Jaguars)

San Antonio (Spurs)

Portland (Blazers)

Columbus (Jackets)

Green Bay (Packers)

I don't think I'd consider any of these major cities. That's just my perception, of course. I may have missed some one team cities in the above list. Some two team cities would probably also fit into the same catagory as the cities listed here. (Nashville, Indianapolis for example).

One team cities, US,  that I can think of from the top of my head.  I'm only counting the Big 4 of baseball, football, hockey and basketball.

Memphis (Grizzlies)

Sacramento (Kings)

Salt Lake City (Jazz)

San Jose (Sharks)

Jacksonville (Jaguars)

San Antonio (Spurs)

Portland (Blazers)

Columbus (Jackets)

Green Bay (Packers)

I don't think I'd consider any of these major cities.  That's just my perception, of course.  I may have missed some one team cities in the above list.  Some two team cities would probably also fit into the same catagory as the cities listed here. (Nashville, Indianapolis for example).

San Antonio is the ninth largest US city. That's ahead of Detroit, Boston, Cleveland, San Jose (11th) is now larger than San Francisco.

Top 50 cities by population

Perceptions are interesting. I guess not having teams does create a different image.

San Antonio is the ninth largest US city. That's ahead of Detroit, Boston, Cleveland, San Jose  (11th) is now larger than San Francisco.

Top 50 cities by population

Perceptions are interesting. I guess not having teams does create a different image.

That was a point I was trying to make. Thank you. I knew that some of those cities would "out-populate" some of the multi-team cities. I didn't know which ones. San Antonio is interesting in the fact that in most peoples minds, it is an afterthought coming after Houston and Dallas when thinking of Texas cities.

In other words, though those were my "perceptions", I knew they were not accurate.

That was a point I was trying to make.  Thank you.  I knew that some of those cities would "out-populate" some of the multi-team cities.  I didn't know which ones.  San Antonio is interesting in the fact that in most peoples minds, it is an afterthought coming after Houston and Dallas when thinking of Texas cities. 

In other words, though those were my "perceptions", I knew they were not accurate.

The perceptions are also geographic. With Houston (4), Dallas (8), Fort Worth (27), San Antonio (9), Austin (16), and El Paso (23), it's hard to remember there are any cities outside Texas :lol:

Yet we think of cities like Vegas (32), Atlanta (41), Minneapolis (43), Miami (47), Pittsburg (?), as big.

It does take multiple teams for sports fans to think of a city as big. Just as I am certain it takes a nice opera for some opera fans to place a city "on the map" or a major museum, etc.

In other words I don't think non sport fans would have the same perception.

It does take multiple teams for sports fans to think of a city as big. Just as I am certain it takes a nice opera for some opera fans to place a city "on the map" or a major museum, etc.

In other words I don't think non sport fans would have the same perception.

Good point! I'll bet to race fans, Indianapolis is a huge city.

Good point! I'll bet to race fans, Indianapolis is a huge city.

If I say College Station, Chapel Hill, Ann Arbor, etc. college sports fans would instantly know what I'm talking about. Others would never have heard of most of those towns.

THe Rio Grande Area feels more "grown up" with a Pro baseball team, hocket team, and now an entry in the Arena Football League 2.

If I say College Station, Chapel Hill, Ann Arbor, etc. college sports fans would instantly know what I'm talking about. Others would never have heard of most of those towns.

THe Rio Grande Area feels more "grown up" with a Pro baseball team, hocket team, and now an entry in the Arena Football League 2.

Rio Grande? :huh :lol:

Do you think sports teams legitimize cities?  In other words, do you think of cities with professional sports teams as the “major” cities of this country, while those without teams as something less?

Absolutely..... every Major city has sports as part of their landscape. Sports help give the city an identity, just like other cultural activities. Sports teams are known nationally more so than other cultural activities, so they bring an even bigger spotlight to a city.

Your second question is of the chicken before the egg variety. Big cities have sports franchises because they can support them. Putting a MLB or NFL team in Dubuque, Iowa will not turn that city into the next St. Louis or Chicago. But sports teams are a major part of what constitutes a large city.

The only major city without a major league sports franchise is Vegas. Due to the gambling industry, they are the exception to the rule. The gambling industry is Vegas identity. Also note, they have tried to get a major sports team and are still trying to lure Major League Baseball.

Sports teams also give identity to and legitimze large cities that may not be considered major. They are definitely an integral part of living in a larger city.