Public financing

Why not? Doesn't the city benefit from the team being there? Most big cities have payroll taxes. Some even tax the visiting teams for what the players earn while playing games in their city and/or state. The city/state also gets tax revenue on the concessions, tickets, parking, parking ticket revenue, and income flows into the surrounding businesses. They also get free advertising for the city, every time the team is mentioned. CHICAGO White Sox. And if the team actually makes the playoffs? More money! And build the stadium right, and the controlling body canalso use it for other events (concerts, high school playoffs, etc.)

I'm done answering your questions until you tell me what they are for. Are you researching a paper?

It seems to me that you are just collecting data, ideas, and opinions from the people here, which isn't a bad thing, but if you really cared about these topics you'd stick around to talk about them.

Soxtalk has a ton of highly intelligent posters who would be more than willing to have a discussion on the economic of baseball, while financing a new stadium. But you need to stick around and DIALOGUE to do anything more than scratch the surface of the issue at hand.

San Diego and Philadelphia just opened new ballparks that used public money (taxpayer money) to partially finance them.  Do you think cities and states should use public funds to pay for stadiums?

we would have better teams and stadiums if we taxed the rich and all republicans at what is fair for them, the 87.2% tax rate

;)

I'm done answering your questions until you tell me what they are for.  Are you researching a paper?

It seems to me that you are just collecting data, ideas, and opinions from the people here, which isn't a bad thing, but if you really cared about these topics you'd stick around to talk about them.

Soxtalk has a ton of highly intelligent posters who would be more than willing to have a discussion on the economic of baseball, while financing a new stadium.  But you need to stick around and DIALOGUE to do anything more than scratch the surface of the issue at hand.

Ditto

we would have better teams and stadiums if we taxed the rich and all republicans at what is fair for them, the 87.2% tax rate

;)

Whoa there, tax-boy. By Democratic standards, I am rich, and if you ever TRY to take $87.2% of what I make, you will go home in a box. I earned it to support myself and my family, not to provide public housing, fund a study on the migration patterns of the hummingbird, or any number of pork projects that politicians of all parties throw into various laws. I already pay hefty taxes on my personal income, not to mention all the taxes and other 'fees' that they stick on business, because we all know that corporations are eeevil. What is deducted from your pay for payroll taxes is also paid by your employer, not to mention huge amounts for 'unemployment insurance', even if you have never laid anyone off in the last 13 years. The wheels of commerce in this state are well grease by myself, my employees and my company. And we are all well taxed already.

Whoa there, tax-boy.  By Democratic standards, I am rich, and if you ever TRY to take $87.2% of what I make, you will go home in a box.  I earned it to support myself and my family, not to provide public housing, fund a study on the migration patterns of the hummingbird, or any number of pork projects that politicians of all parties throw into various laws.  I already pay hefty taxes on my personal income, not to mention all the taxes and other 'fees' that they stick on business, because we all know that corporations are eeevil.  What is deducted from your pay for payroll taxes is also paid by your employer, not to mention huge amounts for 'unemployment insurance', even if you have never laid anyone off in the last 13 years.  The wheels of commerce in this state are well grease by myself, my employees and my company.  And we are all well taxed already.

please note that a sense of humor is tax deductible ;)

I'm done answering your questions until you tell me what they are for.  Are you researching a paper?

Soxtalk has a ton of highly intelligent posters who would be more than willing to have a discussion on the economic of baseball, while financing a new stadium.  But you need to stick around and DIALOGUE to do anything more than scratch the surface of the issue at hand.

Sorry if I offended you. I am writing a paper about fan opinion and baseball economics. There are lots of books about what politicians and team owners think, but not much about the fans. Reading through this board it is obvious that there are a lot of people who know a lot about baseball on this board, and I think their opinion matters. That's the focus of my paper.