Silly option

popeye089

I thiink that anyone thinking Cotts should be switched as a starter is a fool. Yes his era is good and yes he has shown great stuff, but that's as a reliever. Some people are great relievers and some are great starters. Cotts is doing great outa the bull, so why fix something that isn't broken. The Sox might break him without even realizing they are doing it if he is placed as #5. If you put him out and he gets shelled in his first outing, he will doubt himself for a long time. In the reliever position he has nothing but confidence. If they want to make him a starter, I say work on his stamina till next season or need be later this season, but not now. Platton Diaz, Rauch, or Adkins till one fits or Cotts is the emergency backup. Its 162 games not a sprint. We still have some time to find out. P.S. The trade deadline hasn't ended yet

Joe Jackson is the greatest!

I thiink that anyone thinking Cotts should be switched as a starter is a fool.  Yes his era is good and yes he has shown great stuff, but that's as a reliever.  Some people are great relievers and some are great starters.  Cotts is doing great outa the bull, so why fix something that isn't broken.  The Sox might break him without even realizing they are doing it if he is placed as #5.  If you put him out and he gets shelled in his first outing, he will doubt himself for a long time.  In the reliever position he has nothing but confidence. If they want to make him a starter, I say work on his stamina till next season or need be later this season, but not now.  Platton Diaz, Rauch, or Adkins till one fits or Cotts is the emergency backup.  Its 162 games not a sprint.  We still have some time to find out. P.S. The trade deadline hasn't ended yet

Yes his era is good and yes he has shown great stuff, but that's as a reliever.

**HE'S BEEN A RELIEVER FOR ALL OF 11.2 INNINGS IN HIS ENTIRE CAREER. AM I READING THIS CORRECTLY, YOU WANT TO GIVE UP ON HIM AS A STARTER, A POSITION HE'S PLAYED SUCCESSFULLY AT EVERY STOP HE'S EVER MADE, BASED ON 11.2 INNINGS?

Cotts is doing great outa the bull, so why fix something that isn't broken.

**MANY, MANY, MANY GOOD-GREAT STARTING PITCHERS STARTED THEIR MLB CAREERS AS RELIEVERS. MAYBE YOU THINK WE SHOULD HAVE LEFT MARK BUEHRLE IN THE BULLPEN TOO? CAUSE THAT'S HOW HE GOT HIS START.

The Sox might break him without even realizing they are doing it if he is placed as #5. If you put him out and he gets shelled in his first outing, he will doubt himself for a long time

**BASED ON WHAT? DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW MANY PITCHERS GET SHELLED IN THEIR FIRST WHOLE SEASON, TO SAY NOTHING OF THEIR FIRST START? ANYWAYS, IF YOU HAD ANY CLUE AT ALL, YOU'D KNOW THAT COTTS' FIRST START WAS LAST YEAR. HE LASTED 2 1/3 INNINGS, WALKING 6. YET SOMEHOW, HE'S MANAGED TO GO ON WITH HIS LIFE.

Platton Diaz, Rauch, or Adkins till one fits or Cotts is the emergency backup.

**SO, TURNING COTTS INTO A STARTER IS BAD, BUT TURNING ADKINS INTO A STARTER IS OK? PLATOON RAUCH AND DIAZ UNTIL ONE FITS? WHAT DOES THAT MEAN, TRY ONE, AND IF HE DOES BAD, TRY ANOTHER? HOW DOES THAT NOT RUIN A YOUNG PITCHER'S CONFIDENCE?

P.S. The trade deadline hasn't ended yet

**REALLY? IT HASN'T? THANKS, EVERYONE HERE THOUGHT IT ENDED MAY 1ST. EVERY MEMBER OF THIS SITE IS NOW SMARTER FOR HAVING READ THAT STATEMENT.

Apperently The ghost of Wayne Tolleson is having his monthly visitor, An example of how someone could loose his confidence and not get it back for a long time is Garland. This season when he had a bad outing he immediately looked towards the dugout like he was going to give up. But, Ozzie left him in their to work it out. Slowly Garland has gain his confidence back. Just the other day Garland was even quoted as telling Ozzie that no matter what "Leave me in to eat innings for our bullpen." Cotts is great but I don't want to wait till next season to have his confidence up again. If you don't think one bad outing can have a negative affect for ever look at Rick Ankiel, superstar to be. Melted in playoffs, never even pitched the same again. Even is injury proan now., :fyou Is that how red your finger is The ghost of Wayne Tolleson?

I thiink that anyone thinking Cotts should be switched as a starter is a fool.  Yes his era is good and yes he has shown great stuff, but that's as a reliever.  Some people are great relievers and some are great starters.  Cotts is doing great outa the bull, so why fix something that isn't broken.  The Sox might break him without even realizing they are doing it if he is placed as #5.  If you put him out and he gets shelled in his first outing, he will doubt himself for a long time.  In the reliever position he has nothing but confidence. If they want to make him a starter, I say work on his stamina till next season or need be later this season, but not now.  Platton Diaz, Rauch, or Adkins till one fits or Cotts is the emergency backup.  Its 162 games not a sprint.  We still have some time to find out. P.S. The trade deadline hasn't ended yet

The next time you open your argument by insulting the opposing view, I won't continue reading.

However, you say 'work on his stamina' as if reducing his workload does that. He was a starter in the White Sox minor league system, thus getting a large workload. Throwing him in the pen does give him experience, but it shoots his stamina down. He won't throw near the innings he would as a starter out of the bullpen, so how does that improve his stamina?

I also don't want a rotation of inexperienced 5th starters. We've tried it in years past and it doesn't work. Cotts deserves his shot, the only thing that stops him from making the rotation is the effectiveness he'll take out of a bullpen that could fall apart if toyed with.

I agree with keeping Neal in the bullpen, but for other reasons.