A Few Notes from today's game...

Fotop

I bet most of this has been mentioned already, but here are a few things I noticed today at the game. Here are just a few comments about both squads:

Hitting:

Sox

-Harris NOT faking bunt in any of his at bats. Is it just me or does he seem to be a better hitter when he doesn't fake bunts?

-Thomas really got squeezed by the ump today. Bad calls for him all around, and if the umps start calling the inside strike on him he could struggle.

-I have a feeling Ordonez is going to start tearing it up soon. He went to Right Center with authority today, a sign that he's getting back on track.

-Even though Crede is hitting the ball hard, he is still pressing with runners on base. I distinctly remember an at bat with the bases loaded and crede promptly going 0-2. Hopefully he'll bring the same approach in these situations he does in empty base situations.

-Konerko and Lee were solid...still saw some bad swings, hopefully their plate discipline will continue and they'll think opposite field.

Twins

-Lew Ford is the hardest out in their lineup. Period. This guy really battles at the plate.

-Everyone else is pretty much same old twins...scrappy, fundamentally sound hitters.

Pitching/Defense:

Sox

-Buerhle was really crisp today (obviously). He really hit his spots well and had multiple pitches working for him.

-Harris played a decent CF. My only beef with him out their is his arm strength, if this is a common place for Willie we're going to see a lot of runners going 1st to third following line drives over the infielders.

-Valentin made 2 errors. Mental mistakes were what they looked like, but he ranged to some tough balls as well. Still probably the best defensive SS on the team, with a slight adv over Uribe.

Twins

-Silva is nothing special. He has decent command, but he lacks the arsenal to sustain success. He really needs another pitch, right now he was only throwing fastballs and sinkers.

-Twins pen weren't tossing hard at all. Roa was a softie, and Balfour personified his name.

That's about all I got from watching today's game...it was exciting to see our hitters become tough outs for once. It was also exicting to see Buerhle follow up his last start, I watched both in person and I'm really optimistic about the rest of his season.

Looking to the Indians, they're on a winning streak and Cliff Lee is a real up and comer. The good news is he's left handed, the bad news is the sox have never seen him before. However, they hadn't seen Silva either so who knows. Also I think starting Felix on three days rest may be a mistake, but hopefully he can give us 6 strong.

In conclusion, Sox dominated today when they really needed it. The only sad part about today's game was sooooo many people left early. Like before the 7th inning early. At least they were there though, so I can't be too picky. ;)

WTG Sox, let's keep it up on the road! :headbang

Yeah, I noticed it today too, but didn't realize it until the 8th inning. All of a sudden , I saw alot of blue seats, when I know the lower bowl was pretty much filled. Took my 5yr old to his first game today! What a game!!!! Too bad his interest only lasted about 4 innings, but the fireworks kept bringing him back.

Looking to the Indians, they're on a winning streak and Cliff Lee is a real up and comer. The good news is he's left handed, the bad news is the sox have never seen him before. However, they hadn't seen Silva either so who knows. Also I think starting Felix on three days rest may be a mistake, but hopefully he can give us 6 strong.

Are you sure we haven't seen Lee before? I could have sworn we saw him last year(and he pitched well against us).

And we had seen Silva before. When he was with the Phils in 2002, we saw him in interleague play. The Twins did well in that trade. Silva can throw the s*** out of the ball, and I already can tell when he is on, he is nasty as hell. He and Carlos Zambrano seem like they have very similar stuff, and Zambrano is as close to unhittable when he is on as anybody in the league

Well I guess you're right about Lee wite, we faced him once last year... shows what Dave Wills knows on ESPN Radio.

As for Silva, I know I can't pass judgement on the guy after one outing seen in person, but I can't imagine a guy with only two pitches having sustained success. Unless his "Power Sinker" is that crazy, I doubt he can keep it up. He really didn't have the movement Zambrano does.

The Twins did do well in that trade, seeing as they wouldn't be able to retain Milton anyways. However, I still stand by my comment that Silva needs another pitch or he'll flame out. Hitters adjust, and once the book is out on this guy they'll just hunt his fastball....hey maybe that's what our guys did today. ;)

here are the stats for sox hitters against lee...not too bad, but not a whole lotta at bats either

Opposing hitter AB H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS

Sandy Alomar Jr. 2 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 .500 .500 .500 1.000

Frank Thomas 2 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 .000 .333 .000 .333

Magglio Ordonez 2 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 .500 .667 .500 1.167

Paul Konerko 2 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 1.000 1.000 1.000 2.000

Carlos Lee 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 .000 .000 .000 .000

Joe Crede 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 .000 .000 .000 .000

Totals 12 4 0 0 0 1 2 4 .333 .429 .333 .762