"In my judgement..."

The Beast

The above phrase is uttered by umpires to help save our calls even though we are in doubt sometimes. What I want to ask is, at a game, do you rag on the umpire knowing that you will not do anything? Trying to intimidate him doesn't do anything. I'm a thin skinned umpire, but I am as hot as the last umpire out there when it comes to temper. So when I am approached, I say its in my judgement, and if something else is uttered I handle it in a kind manner unless foul language is used or violence. Then I need to initiate in retaliation. But I'm curious, do you guys (as parents and as players or fans) rag on the umpire, even though you ignorantly don't know that its in the umpire judgement.

My last three arguments.

Me: Time! Sir, is your name Ross Meister or Jim M?

Man: No.

Me: Then shut up and watch the game.

Man: I want an appeal! (Violent and had been causing trouble all game)

Me: Heres your appeal...(pointed to his car)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the kid is squaring to bunt, and doesn't pull the bat back, its a strike!

I just want to hear feed back of what you think of local umpires is all.

I actually got lucky as an umpire and never had any problems. I always concentrated and was usually pretty good and running all the situations through my head.

However there was one bad situation. A runner was out of the baseline and I initially didn't call him out. The opposing team's manager yelled out, "he was out of the baseline!". I then called the runner out. I regretted overturning the call even though he did go out of the baseline. I found out it is better to stick with the wrong call than to change the call because the opposing team's manager pointed out something you missed.

The other manager got on me for the rest of the game until I pretty much told him to shut his f***ing mouth or I was going to hit him. Mostly I felt bad for the kid that I called out. But all sympathy for him was lost in my anger at the manager who would not let the f***ing thing die. It was a 9 year old 4th of July all-star game, he treated it like the state tournament.

I have no tolerance for managers anymore. I've thrown out 3, but I've thrown out 5 more moms than coaches. Crazy. :rolleyes:

As you get more experience, you'll learn to let the managers blow off a little steam and keep playing. It's all part of the game and as long as they do not swear, I ever threw one out. But I didn't start calling games until I was older.