Carlos Beltran revisited

sox-r-us

Everybody knows you aren't gonna get 8-10 runs a game against the best pitchers in the leauge, that's why we needed the quality starter that bad & we paid so much to get him.  I think MB, E-Lo and Garcia are going to do very well in the playoffs and we'll get em just enough runs to make some noise there.  That's just my $.02 though we'll have to wait a few months to see how this plays out. 

That all being said I think our lineup is about as solid as its gonna get.  If we're going to go get another big bat then it's gonna cost us more than we can afford to pay for it and it'll end up doing more harm than good.

I beg to differ....Buerhle and E Lo will give up at least 4-5 runs against that Yanks line up.....look at how much they have been hit this year....then see what quality hitting teams have done to them

Remember, we play in the worst division in baseball and are only tied for the lead....just getting Garcia is not going to get it done, we need a LH bat or a Randy Johnson

I beg to differ....Buerhle and E Lo will give up at least 4-5 runs against that Yanks line up.....look at how much they have been hit this year....then see what quality hitting teams have done to them

Remember, we play in the worst division in baseball and are only tied for the lead....just getting Garcia is not going to get it done, we need a LH bat or a Randy Johnson

It's hard to say that because we haven's seen either of them in a playoff game yet. You said yourself that pitchers always elevate their game in the post-season. Why are these guys any different?

It's hard to say that because we haven's seen either of them in a playoff game yet.  You said yourself that pitchers always elevate their game in the post-season.  Why are these guys any different?

Look at how may hits Buerhle and E Lo have given up this year.

Look at how many HRs ELo has given up this year

Facts are both of these are around 0.400 ERA pitchers....and the ones they will go up against will have better ERAs and much better experience in the playoffs

I'll say this much.....

I'd rather have Beltran for the play-off run than Jones.

True, Beltran doesn't have Andruw's batspeed/power potential, but his hand-eye coordination and SZ judgement are better, he's more polished and play-off ready. He is also a hellava runner and plays defense harder.

I still won't forget how silly Overswinging Andruw looked in 2003 NLDS against quality RHP. Thanks, but no thanks.

Then again, I'd rather have Randy Johnson than either of them. :cheers

Yes right now....the Brewers have a team ERA less than the Cubs (they are around 0.380 .... look it up)

Yes right now....the Pirates just shut out the vaunted St Louis line up for two straight days (what, no faith in Kip Wells  :lol: )

Yes right now....the Reds are more than Griffey and Larkin....Dunn and Casey are very good too...yes their pitching is very suspect, but the Astros O sucks too

Let's talk 15 days from today....I have a feeling the Astros will not go anywhere this year

Petite is back, but he will take a while to get dominant if he ever does

The Astros have three aces in their staff. And Wade Miller ain't too shabby. Did you just say that they have a s***ty offense? Berkman, Beltran, Bagwell, Biggio, etc? The Killer B's?

In my best Chris Rock voice: You must be out yo god damn mind, cracka ass cracka!

The Astros have three aces in their staff.  And Wade Miller ain't too shabby.  Did you just say that they have a s***ty offense?  Berkman, Beltran, Bagwell, Biggio, etc?  The Killer B's?

In my best Chris Rock voice: You must be out yo god damn mind, cracka ass cracka!

Judge by the results.

With all the losses Cubs suffered, this Astros squad should have been 10 games up on them and pulling away as we speak. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case - it's as though the Cubs are the Twins and Astros are the Sox - the former "own" the latter.

Bagwell? Like Giambi and Boone, got off the roids, lost that little "something" on the batspeed. Today he hit two balls that 2 years ago would have been an opposite field HR and an a missile single to LF respectively - instead, it was a fly-out to the wall and a soft line-out to SS. He ain;t NEARLY as scary as you think.

Biggio? Can't hit, run or field like he used to. The impact of his dropped FO today can't be overstated.

Berkman is good but so is Ramirez.

Kent pulled a hamsting today, too.

I hope Wood doesn't come back. I hope Prior is back on DL and so is Sosa. I hope Clement follows Maddox into land of Medicority. I hope 1-pitch pitcher Hawkins gets bombed Koch-style. I hope Corey Patterson continues to swing at pitches over his head. Michael Barrret is already settling down. Hopefully Alou feels the effects of age and Derek Lee tanks.

Then Houston has a chance.

Bagwell? Like Giambi and Boone, got off the roids, lost that little "something" on the batspeed.    Today he hit two balls that 2 years ago would have been an opposite field HR and an a missile single to LF respectively - instead, it was a fly-out to the wall and a soft line-out to SS.    He ain;t NEARLY as scary as you think.

Biggio? Can't hit, run or field like he used to. The impact of his dropped FO today can't be overstated.

Berkman is good but so is Ramirez.

Bagwell and Biggio are no longer all star caliber players, but they're still good. Bagwell has an 850 OPS and Biggio has an 825 OPS.

Berkman is amazing.

Bagwell and Biggio are no longer all star caliber players, but they're still good.  Bagwell has an 850 OPS and Biggio has an 825 OPS. 

Berkman is amazing.

They have to out-produce their counterparts, Lee and Alou - not just in OPS, but also in clutch categories like RO OPS and 'Close and Late'.

They're not doing it unfortunately.

Berkman is outplaying Sammy, true.

But Einsberg can't touch Ramirez.

Ausmus - Barret.

Walker and Kent are a wash.

Beltran over Patterson.

Martinez and Everett are a wash.

Without Dotel, bullpens are a wash, and Cubs have more talent in starting rotation when Wood is back and replaces Rusch.

Hell, when Rusch handily beat Oswalt in Houston a week ago, you should have known Astros weren't ready to challenge the Cubs, mentally nor physically.

Let's hope Cubs find a way to sink themselves, and Atros and Cards shut them out of the playoffs. :headbang :cheers

The Astros have three aces in their staff.  And Wade Miller ain't too shabby.  Did you just say that they have a s***ty offense?  Berkman, Beltran, Bagwell, Biggio, etc?  The Killer B's?

No hammerhead, their O is s***ty....which is why they traded for Beltran

Biggio and Bagwell have done JACK SQUAT this year.....Hidalgo sucked and was traded

Berkman has been decent but nothing spectacular

If Kent is gone for a while, then it cancels the additive effect of Beltran

No hammerhead, their O is s***ty....which is why they traded for Beltran

Biggio and Bagwell have done JACK SQUAT this year.....Hidalgo sucked and was traded

Berkman has been decent but nothing spectacular

If Kent is gone for a while, then it cancels the additive effect of Beltran

Biggio and Bagwell have been solid this year...nothing more, nothing less.

But to say Berkman has been "decent but nothing spectucaluar" is an insult to Lance Berkman. He's 3rd in the NL in OPS at 1.074, has 16 homers, 58 RBI, along with walking more then he strikes out, and is hitting a modest .311. He has been even better with runners on base...he's hit .350 with runners on, .370 with RISP, .353 with RISP w/ 2 outs, and .364 with the bases loaded.

Nothing spectacular my ass...he's probably a top 3 OFer in the NL this year and is worthy of starting in the All-Star game.

Quit talking about the Yankees like they are invincible. I'm sick of this s***. There's a reason they are trying so desperately to get Johnson: They have no faith in their pitching. Even when they were healthy, Brown and Mussina weren't doing that well. Vasquez is awesome, but the other two are getting old and losing their effectiveness, and you can throw Lieber in that category too. Plus, in case you haven't noticed, many of their key players are not performing that well. Jeter is about 30 points under his normal average, Posada is batting .267, Williams is too old, and Giambi sucks without the steroids. I heard this same s*** the last two years, and they lost. They should have lost to Boston, but Grady Little forgot that Pedro has no stamina anymore. As for Boston, they have a two man starting staff, and as I said, Pedro has no stamina anymore. No matter how good he is, you won't see him finish the 7th, and the rest of their starters suck. Plus, their offense isn't what it was last year. Quit forfeiting the series before we even get there, and have some faith.

Quit talking about the Yankees like they are invincible. I'm sick of this s***. There's a reason they are trying so desperately to get Johnson: They have no faith in their pitching. Even when they were healthy, Brown and Mussina weren't doing that well. Vasquez is awesome, but the other two are getting old and losing their effectiveness, and you can throw Lieber in that category too. Plus, in case you haven't noticed, many of their key players are not performing that well. Jeter is about 30 points under his normal average, Posada is batting .267, Williams is too old, and Giambi sucks without the steroids. I heard this same s*** the last two years, and they lost. They should have lost to Boston, but Grady Little forgot that Pedro has no stamina anymore. As for Boston, they have a two man starting staff, and as I said, Pedro has no stamina anymore. No matter how good he is, you won't see him finish the 7th, and the rest of their starters suck. Plus, their offense isn't what it was last year. Quit forfeiting the series before we even get there, and have some faith.

Even with all those problems...They have the best record in MLB. :huh

By the way, we didn't face Brown this year, and I wouldn't exactly call Mussina's performances "shutting us down." He allowed 3 runs on 7 hits and 2 walks in 6 and 1/3 and 4 runs on 9 hits and 3 walks in 8. Good but not great outings. And we would have beaten Mulder this year if Koch didn't pitch, so quit your b****ing.

Another comment: we've scored 11 more runs and allowed 4 fewer than the Yankees, they've played one more game. As Rob Neyer put it, they are not significantly better than a lot of the teams in the AL (he was specifically talking about the Red Sox), they've just been luckier in close games. And we would be at least 4 games better without that talentless ass that we recently traded to Florida.

This team had slow-to-horrible starts from every other regular, has Brown out, and no #4-5 pitchers - Lieber and that rookie aren't exactly Pensky, er, Yankee material.

And yet somehow the Yanks are still on pace to win 105+ games.

Since '96, they've made World Series 6 times, including 4 wins. I would say their track record speaks for itself.