Rowand hurt...

DaSoxRox

JB is looking more and more like our new starting CFer

Is Borchard a true CF? How would you rate his defensive abilities to Rowand?

HSC has said that he is good and CF is his natural position. And he has a cannon of an arm as well.

He has better range than it looks like he'd have....but I'm guessing no range like a superstar defensively. I'd guess he'd probably be a mediocre defensive CF in the majors.

HSC has said that he is good and CF is his natural position. And he has a cannon of an arm as well.

He has better range than it looks like he'd have....but I'm guessing no range like a superstar defensively. I'd guess he'd probably be a mediocre defensive CF in the majors.

thats enough to get him in the starting lineup with 20-30 homeruns

FYI....he could hit more than 20-30.....I'm thinking he could possibly hit 40 or more, if he got real hot....but something in between 30-40 is likely as well. We all looked at his winter ball stats and shrugged....like .243 1 15.....and then he does THIS is ST.....I'll never be on to judge a player based on winter ball stats.

Rowand maybe end up being the 4th OFer after all.....not a bad thing, as long as he starts consistently(like 4 starts a week or so).

What I really like about Borchard is the fact that he is a switch hitter with equal power from both sides of the plate....a threat to go deep at any time. Against righties...our lineup should probably be Thomas, Ordonez, Konerko, Borchard, Lee....but Manuel will probably find a way to f*** that up. And if my wish...I mean prediction comes true and CLee is dealt at the deadline....we are looking at Thomas, Ordonez, Borchard, Konerko, Daubach.....that is R-R-S-R-L...that is awesome. And if Borchard produces like he can....we are in very good shape to do some major damage and go deep into the postseason.

Borchard will start in AAA unless injury comes into play. Don't be fooled by 5 games in ST. He still has holes in his swing. That said, I do believe he will get them fixed and be an excellent player but barring injury, I just don't think this year will be his year.

He is a natural corner OF and is learning to play CF. He played it in 2001 at Birmingham and looked like a guy learning a new position. He played it adequately, sometimes making great plays and other times botching easy ones. I don't think he will ever be a gold glove type CF, but I think he could hold his own for sure. He will never wow you with his speed, but he covers ground deceptively. Having him in CF with El Caballo in LF is not ideal, however.

When he was in Birmingham, a scout that comes to the ball park a lot told me that he thought Borchard was 4-5 years away from being a great big league player. That was only 2 seasons ago. Joe definitely has the potential to shorten the learning curve and cut into that 4-5 year prediction, but getting too excited about a couple of weeks in ST might be a bit of an overreaction.

He has better range than it looks like he'd have....but I'm guessing no range like a superstar defensively.  I'd guess he'd probably be a mediocre defensive CF in the majors.

My thoughts exactly. His bat will more than make up for any defensive problems. Personally, I'd like to see JB in LF but with Carlos Lee, that isn't going to happen right now. Somewhere down the road I think it will though.

Guest hotsoxchick1

i didnt say he was natural cf i said he played it in bham for a season....i thought he did fairly well there.. him and his rocket arm that is.....i dont recall him making any errors the week i was there to see him...he even had a rowand dive into the wall catch ...........i think he would do just fine at comiskey in cf.. but the yard gnome would definately need to be replaced.........

Guest hotsoxchick1
i think he would do just fine at comiskey in cf.. but the yard gnome would definately need to be replaced.........

I thought he was a lawn jockey? Now I'm confused. :huh:

hey you call him what you want and ill call him what i want.. yard gnome is less offensive if ya get my drift............ ;)

i think he would do just fine at comiskey in cf.. but the yard gnome would definately need to be replaced.........

hey you call him what you want and ill call him what i want.. yard gnome is less offensive if ya get my drift............ ;)

Hey now..... I didn't label him a lawn jockey. A baseball media reporter did.

Guest hotsoxchick1

i thought it was a lawn ornament

Whatever. Same thing. :headbang

Guest hotsoxchick1

Whatever. Same thing. :headbang

then why are you fightin with me.... or you just tryin to piss me off.....lol..lol...lol......

Borchard is much more suited to play right field.

I agree, if he has that cannon arm everyone says he does. I could see the Sox moving Maggs to left and putting JB in right, eventually.

I would assume... That still leaves us with Rowand in center field until Webster is ready to take his place. :angry: Rowand f***ing sucks.

Borchard is much more suited to play right field.

I agree, if he has that cannon arm everyone says he does. I could see the Sox moving Maggs to left and putting JB in right, eventually.

I would assume... That still leaves us with Rowand in center field until Webster is ready to take his place. :angry: Rowand f***ing sucks.

I think Rowand will pleasantly surprise you, if he stays healthy and gets toplay every day. I see him as a very solid ballplayer. Not a HOF'er for sure, but a good solid ballplayer.