Roster Cuts

Guest wsc425

Guest wsc425

But I think that here are the guys who are going to be sent down.

37 Jon Adkins L/R 6-0 200 08/30/77 -AAA

55 Edwin Almonte R/R 6-3 200 12/17/76-AAA

54 Felix Diaz R/R 6-1 180 07/27/80 -AA

32 Matt Ginter R/R 6-1 220 12/24/77 -AAA

29 Corwin Malone R/L 6-3 200 07/03/80 -AAA

41 Mike Porzio L/L 6-3 190 08/20/72 -AAA

51 Jon Rauch R/R 6-11 230 09/27/78 -AAA

52 David Sanders L/L 6-0 200 08/29/79 -AA

48 Josh Stewart L/L 6-3 205 12/05/78 -AAA

58 Brian West R/R 6-4 230 08/04/80 -AA

36 Danny Wright R/R 6-5 225 12/14/77 -AAA

27 Josh Paul R/R 6-1 200 05/19/75 -AAA, Cut

18 Tim Hummel R/R 6-2 195 11/18/78 AAA

33 Aaron Rowand R/R 6-1 200 08/29/77 -DL

-- Cliff Brumbaugh R/R 6-2 205 04/21/74 -AA

-- Scott Morgan R/R 6-7 230 07/19/73 -AA

-- Anthony Sanders R/R 6-2 200 03/02/74 -AA

64 Mario Valenzuela R/R 6-2 190 03/10/77 -AAA

-- Aaron Miles S/R 5-8 170 12/15/76 -AA

-- Jorge Nunez R/R 5-10 160 03/03/78 -AAA

-- Wyatt Allen R/R 6-4 205 04/12/80 -A

-- Byeong An L/L 6-2 190 07/01/80 -A

-- Brian Cooper R/R 6-1 185 08/19/74 -AA

-- Neal Cotts L/L 6-2 200 03/25/80 -AAA

-- Kris Honel R/R 6-5 190 11/07/82 -AA

I really do not trust Danny until he goes and shows me something.

Any body to differ, I would really like to hear an arguement here...its very debateful.

Starting Roster then is...

Colon, Buehrle, Garland, Loazia, Heredia-The Sox will let one of them go...I am worried about my boy Danny

RP-Marte, Wunsch, White, Gordon, Koch, Glover-I don't trust Gary yet, but he's here.

the only change to the lineup is CF-Joe Borchard until Rowand gets it back...I know he hasn't been tested, but I am worried about old Aaron.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest wsc425

I know. I take that into consideration. I really want him here. I am concerned, because I don't buy this Arizona "thin air" crap.

I know. I take that into consideration. I really want him here. I am concerned, because I don't buy this Arizona "thin air" crap.

I'm not concerned yet. Buehrle and Wright had terrible spring trainings last year and we know what Buerhle did and Wright had a nice year for himself as well. He does have some things to work on (consistantcy being the first thing), but I am definitely not worried yet.

Gary has proved to be great in relief (look at his pure relief numbers). People are just remembering his illfated attempt at being a starter and are letting that color their opinion of him as a relief pitcher.

Wright and Rowand will make this team, i don't care how well JB does, or how bad Wright pitches i'd bet every last penny on them being on the 25-man roster come opening day.

A big suprise might be Daubach, if they don't cut Josh Paul, Daubach won't have a spot on the team.

At this time, I also do not see Josh Paul bing cut.  Almomar will have some DL time, and who will be the 2nd catcher then?  I feel that we will carry three catchers.

It sounds good, until you think about it.

If Josh is on our 25-man roster, he will never play. Maybe 1 game a week. This will not be good for his psyche.

The Sox (and I think Josh, too) would benefit better if Paul is sent to AAA at the necessary time (whenever 'cuts' are made), and let him play pretty much everyday down there. That will allow him to work on things (he's not the best catcher, quite frankly and obviously), and will get him more ready for the majors.

Meanwhile, you let Olivo catch the majority of the games (maybe 4 or 5 a week), and let Sandy "mentor" him. If all goes well, Olivo will progress, and Sandy will stay healthy, and everyone will be happy.

If something were to arrise and someone were injured, Paul could be called up instantly (how long does it take to make a phone call and hop on a plane/bus?) and the Sox wouldn't have to be without a back-up at all (unless something happened mid-game or something).

So, there is absolutely no need to carry 3 catchers. We would benefit much more from carrying either an extra pitcher (someone like Loaiza or Stewart or Heredia -- whoever doesn't make the rotation) or an extra OF (like Daubach or Rios -- whoever doesn't make the roster).

Agreed?

but is it true and that we cannot send JP to AAA anymore without him clearing waivers?  And he won't clear waivers - someone will nab him -

Hadn't thought of that. I don't know what the requirements are that a player must have to qualify for that.

But, will he necessarily be picked up? I don't think it's a certainty.

The Sox (and I think Josh, too) would benefit better if Paul is sent to AAA at the necessary time (whenever 'cuts' are made), and let him play pretty much everyday down there.  That will allow him to work on things (he's not the best catcher, quite frankly and obviously), and will get him more ready for the majors. 

Meanwhile, you let Olivo catch the majority of the games (maybe 4 or 5 a week), and let Sandy "mentor" him.  If all goes well, Olivo will progress, and Sandy will stay healthy, and everyone will be happy.

That is exactly how it is going to play out because no one is going to claim a catcher who can't throw out baserunnners or hit consistently at the ML level.

There's no way you keep 3 catchers, one being Paul, and send Daubach down. Daubach can play a huge role on this team, get some starts, and is a better pinch hitter than alomar could be. I don't like the idea of having three catchers at all. If alomar gets hurt, then bring up Paul, that simple. Paul isn't all that great and sitting him on the bench isn't gonna do him any good

I don't know when the first cuts of spring training are supposed to be made

(anyone with an answer?) but I think it's too early yet to make a decision on any pitcher. Rausch has not looked good and his own mistakes cost him last night so he might be needing more time in the minors. Loaiza and Heredia are experienced and working hard (their hungry). Wright won 14 games last year and most likely will stay no matter his spring numbers.

I wouldn't be surprised if KW uses some of the extras in a trade, but I don't know what position he would be looking to strengthen and might instead go for youth? I wouldn't think he would make any moves till the last week of spring training though.

Curt Schilling had an ERA of 9.00+ last year, yet still went on to finish second in the Cy Young race.

There is the thin air factor(pitches do not break as much) and you never know when a guy is working on something....how do you know that Dan isn't trying to work on a new pitch...maybe trying to use a slider or try to improve his slider if he has one....maybe trying to work on his windup....maybe he is just rusty from not pitching in about 5 months.

Wright will make the roster...Rowand will too....his versatility in the OF is nice, even if he doesn't start, and Borchard does....if that is the case, than Harris is sent down. Quite simple.

Also....I'd expect Paul to be put on waivers, and if someone claims him....that's no big deal. Why do you think that KW signed those two catchers to minor league deals in the offseason(Burke and that other one....can't remember his name)? We aren't strong at catcher.....but we aren't as weak as some people think. I'm not a big fan of KW....but he is starting to get the hang of his job.

Curt Schilling had an ERA of 9.00+ last year, yet still went on to finish second in the Cy Young race.

There is the thin air factor(pitches do not break as much) and you never know when a guy is working on something....how do you know that Dan isn't trying to work on a new pitch...maybe trying to use a slider or try to improve his slider if he has one....maybe trying to work on his windup....maybe he is just rusty from not pitching in about 5 months. 

Wright will make the roster...Rowand will too....his versatility in the OF is nice, even if he doesn't start, and Borchard does....if that is the case, than Harris is sent down.  Quite simple. 

Also....I'd expect Paul to be put on waivers, and if someone claims him....that's no big deal.  Why do you think that KW signed those two catchers to minor league deals in the offseason(Burke and that other one....can't remember his name)?  We aren't strong at catcher.....but we aren't as weak as some people think.  I'm not a big fan of KW....but he is starting to get the hang of his job.

Great point with Schilling -- ST means nothing once the regular season begins. Although, you could argue that a veteran like Schilling is better able to handle a poor spring than a youngster like some of the guys the Sox have. I think they'll be just fine, though.

And I read a quote by Wright after his first outing that he was pleased with how he threw. He said about 35 of the 40 pitches he threw felt good, but the bad few were hit hard. I have no problems with that at all. That's why they give the players a month of ST -- to work out the kinks and to prepare for the games that count.

I would almost rather have us keep Harris up than Aaron (assuming Borchard makes the roster, which is still pretty unlikely unless he continues to improve). Harris has more versatility than Aaron does (Willie can play 2B, probably SS, and CF), while Aaron is pretty much a CF or LF. And there's no doubt that Harris brings more speed to the plate than Aaron does. We'll have to see how Aaron's injuries heal (he's got some rotten luck so far this spring).

And yes, KW knows what he's doing. Too bad most fans have written him off long ago. :angry:

Daubach makes the team, Hes the lefty off the bench. The one i see not making the team is Rios.

A couple weeks ago there was a blurb in a article that said the sox indend to ship sandy to the "dl" as often as needed. Hes basicaly here to mentor Miguel, thats about it.