Sox might have resigned Freddy

maggsmaggs

Ugh, Contreras is making a lot more than I thought. $9 mil?! :puke  God, Steinbrenner has too much money. He could still be in it with the Yankees paying part of his salary. I don't want to trade Anderson because he is probably our best prospect right now, he is a true centerfielder, he's been killing the ball, and he is at AA in only his second season(even though he missed a good chunk of last year with an injury). If any of our prospects are going to be solid players, he's my vote. I also don't see why they would want Loaiza since he is a free agent at the end of the year, and they aren't going anywhere(Maggs would fall into this category too). If any of our pitchers were to go it would be someone signed for a while, making Garland more likely. Plus we would still end up dealing several prospects unless we eat all or most of the money. If we could get away with Borchard and Rauch with the DBacks eating a some money, then hell yeah go for it, but that's not likely, even if he wants to come. No GM is going to take a package just to piss off another team, so the Sox would have to come up with significantly better package considering they are not likely to cough up all of the money. Obviously Phillps wasn't untouchable, since he was traded for Colon, and Escobar is still a decent prospect. You never know which one is going to pan out. Seattle raped Houston on the last Randy Johnson deal. Garcia and Guillen would still be helping them out significantly if they had kept them, and Johnson is long gone from Houston. I don't want to be saying that about Anderson. However, I could care less about guys like Rauch, Borchard(assuming we keep Maggs, otherwise we would need him), and Diaz. Munoz I kind of want to keep, but for someone like Johnson fine, but these guys don't have enough value. Plus the Johnson deal would probably make Reinsdorf get rid of Maggs for sure, which I don't want. Look at what KC got for Beltran. The got Teahan, Wood, and a good catcher(his name escapes me). Wood is already with them, and the other two will be shortly. We don't have 3 guys that will start for the DBacks in the next two years in our Farm System.

Loaiza makes only 4 Mill and D-Backs could re-sign him.

Garland? Good riddance. He is a FA after 2005 anyway.

You can't compare it to the Mariners-Astros deal in 1999 because Unit was in his absolute physical prime back then and was making WAY less than what he is now, so of course Astros had to come up with da goods.

Also, Carlos Guillen was just an average player for Seattle. Garcia? Yeah, that worked out for Seattle.....in 2001. In 1999-2000 and 2002-2003 he wasn't all that hot - I could definately see Garland putting up similar numbers while playing in Safeco, with numerous Gold Glovers behind him......That's not rape.

Beltran is just entering his prime, so, no, you can't compare the two.

Anderson will be a solid player down the line? So f***ing what! You're willing to settle for a solid position player at the expense of 2 World Series runs that this franchise and its starving fanbase badly long for? Especially in the face of a Cubbie World Series onslaught? Sox dodged that particular bullet last year, but only barely.

Give them Munoz/Diaz/Rauch + Garland + Anderson/Borchard + prospect, and have Arizona pick up some of Unit's money next year. That's 3 talented players who could start for them next year (plus a prospect) as well as 10 Mill of cash freed up in 2005 to find another starting pitcher or two. Not a great package, but under the circumstances, not bad either.

And given that Valentin/Loaiza, Koch and Konerko/Lee could very well be gone next year, the only way Sox can't pay for Maggs is if he refuses a reasonably back-loaded contract. The revenue boost provided by the pennant/postseason run would help pay for part of Magglio's contract, and hopefully Sox could build on that success in 2005 and beyond.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

. The White Sox will just have to hope that Garcia continues to avoid arm problems. He's on pace to make 33 starts for the fifth time in six major league seasons. Jul. 6 - 3:05 pm et

What were those arm problems I forget?