Should pitchers bat in Spring Training?

clujer420

My friend and I were talking about this the other night. He made a great point -- having the pitchers hit takes at-bats away from guys trying to make the team. If you use the DH all the time in ST, you allow fringe players a few extra shots and showing the team what they're capable of. Also, having the pitchers hit subjects them to injury (especially AL pitchers that really aren't used to hitting, even with inter-league play).

I say let the pitchers work on their hitting on their off-days -- and save the at bats in games to the hitters.

Thoughts?

Sounds like a good idea to me. I'd think it would be more important giving fringe players at bats then someone else. Maybe just let the teams decide. If they would rather work a pitcher they can do that or vice versa.

It ain't a big deal either way though. With split squad games and such, its pretty easy to get varying players a good number of ab's.

having the pitchers hit takes at-bats away from guys trying to make the team.

but now the pitchers will have to hit in a few games, so what with split squads and all, those trying to make the team will still get their at bats and pitchers need to get some.

I'd do away with pitchers batting forever and make the DH universal. There is no circumstance in which I like to see a pitcher at bat.

Guest hotsoxchick1

i dont think i like the idea of pitchers hitting.. espically since there have been a ton of hit by pitches going out this spring... would hate for one of our guys to go down in a case of revenge............if ya catch my drift....... ;)