Dog killed by pit bull

Yoda

Story

ILLINOIS: Lansing man says he wants village to take action against deadly animal.

BY LAURI HARVEY

Illinois Editor

LANSING -- A Lansing family is questioning how the owner of a pit bull can keep his dog after the animal ripped its small dog in half.

Scott Kennedy said his wife, Sharon, and 17-year-old daughter, Jennifer, were walking back from the animal hospital on Torrence Avenue where they'd boarded their miniature Doberman pinscher, Spanky, about 6 p.m. Monday night when a pit bull charged at them.

The mother and daughter -- both of whom each weigh about 100 pounds -- jumped on top of a car to protect themselves from the large pit bull.

The family's little dog didn't make it.

"That dog tore my 18-year-old dog in two," Kennedy said.

According to Kennedy, the pit bull's owner called his dog off and took the animal inside his apartment building near Commercial and Torrence avenues, despite pleas from witnesses to wait until police arrived. Police issued local citations to the pit bull's owner for not having the dog on a leash and not having proper village licenses for the animal.

"They said there's no ordinance regarding vicious dogs so there's nothing more they can do about it," Kennedy said. "This dog is going to kill one of the kids who lives over there. It's a tragedy waiting to happen. For us, a tragedy already did happen. This dog has more rights than a human being."

Lansing Police Chief Dan McDevitt said the village called in the Cook County Animal Control officers to investigate the incident. After reviewing the case, McDevitt said, the county found that the pit bull in question did not meet the necessary criteria to be deemed a vicious dog.

There are no laws at the local, county or state level prohibiting the ownership of any particular breed of dog, McDevitt said.

"I'm a dog lover myself -- I've owned dogs my whole life -- and I feel bad for this guy and feel terrible that this dog was killed," McDevitt said. "However, we have done everything we could and this is now a civil matter."

Lansing Mayor Dan Podgorski said he would be willing to investigate vicious dog ordinances in neighboring communities and whether one should be considered by the Village Board.

Kennedy is considering legal action against the pit bull's owner. As for creating a vicious dog ordinance, Kennedy said the law should have been on the books long ago as a preventative measure and not created in response to an incident.

"When a vicious dog has more rights in the community than people do, there's something wrong here," Kennedy said.

Something similar happened on my block. I guess a cop (who lives a few doors down) came out and shot the dog when it took hold of a smaller dog that jumped in front of a little girl the dog was going towards. Of course the owners screamed holy hell, but to that I say too f***ing bad, it almost attacked the little girl and it did attack the other dog.

Something similar happened on my block.  I guess a cop (who lives a few doors down) came out and shot the dog when it took hold of a smaller dog that jumped in front of a little girl the dog was going towards.  Of course the owners screamed holy hell, but to that I say too f***ing bad, it almost attacked the little girl and it did attack the other dog.

I’m not a dog owner, but I hear that these pit bulls are like one of the deadliest dogs out there. Followed closely with a Rockweiller (sp?)

Actually, the dog with the most attacks to its name is the lovely Chow. Those f***ing dogs suck. I am a Land Surveyor, and when we walk to a house with a Chow, NOBODY wants to get near them. I have yet to find a friendly one of those things. I have only encountered one mean Rott, and that scared the bejeezus out of me!!! Damn thing was inside the house and I was scared s***less!

I have also encountered my fair share of mean Pits. We just had a family move into our neighborhood with one of those f***ing things. Ugly as hell, and skittish beyond belief. Plus the family seems like REAL winners also.:headshake

it's all how they're raised...

Not always. Some dogs are just born mean, just like people. Plus, some dogs that are raised that to be mean will be MUCH worse than others. A Bull Terrier (a Pit Bull's real name) is a MUCH more dangerous dog than many others. They were bred hunters to begin with, plus they are all muscle. One of those could bring down a dog twice it's size. They're basically sharks with hair.

Actually, the dog with the most attacks to its name is the lovely Chow. Those f***ing dogs suck. I am a Land Surveyor, and when we walk to a house with a Chow, NOBODY wants to get near them. I have yet to find a friendly one of those things.

When I was growing up, my friend has two and they were the sweetest dogs. :huh

Did they know you? They don't take too kindly to strangers. These are also dogs that were raised for the purpose of war, so they have a mean streak in them. But if you come into the house with the owners, they are probably cool. Plus, obviously not EVERY dog will be bad. But I can tell you that 14 years in the field, I never met a nice one.

Now, St. Bernards are the sweetest dogs I ever met. And Huskies.

Not always. Some dogs are just born mean, just like people. Plus, some dogs that are raised that to be mean will be MUCH worse than others. A Bull Terrier (a Pit Bull's real name) is a MUCH more dangerous dog than many others. They were bred hunters to begin with, plus they are all muscle. One of those could bring down a dog twice it's size. They're basically sharks with hair.

My next door neighbor is a K-9 and he has a very disciplined German Shepard. Never have I seen such loyal dogs as these Shepard’s. Of course they’re going to be intelligent and all if you dedicate some time to them. :lol:

Now, St. Bernards are the sweetest dogs I ever met. And Huskies.

I used to have a Huskie and man was she pretty.

Edited by Yoda

It is how they were raised. If they were raised to be assholes (like humans) they will be. If they are raised not knowing violence, or agressiveness towards others, they can't exhibit the behavior.

Your issue that they are mean when protecting their homes.. well of course they are. Cause that's what they are taught.

An example is my dog, Ginger. She's not a "guard dog", nor have we taught her to "protect" anything. She see's someone walking by the house or the pizza man comes to the door and she whines to get out to lick the crap out of them. She's never growled at anyone or anything. She's 68 lbs of pure muscle and can knock over anything that gets in the way of her and a treat. But she doesn't care about people sticking their hands in her bowl when she eats, or kids yanking on her tail, etc, etc.. She just wants to be pet.. which is how we raised her. It helps that she's a mixed breed.. but my uncles dog (a rot) is the same way.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about dog behavior, but both of the zach's (who help me a bunch when I was trying to "train" Ginger) do so maybe they could add a bit more insite on this.

I heard of an incidence a couple years ago with two pit bulls. It was in a Chicagoland apartment building, and a woman was going from the elevator to her apartment with a bunch of bags of groceries in her arms. Two pit bulls spot her and go right after her, ripping her to shreads as the owner just stood there and watched.

There's something completely wrong with anyone or anything going after innocent bystanders. I hate dogs to begin with, but would probably die of panic attack if I ever saw a pit bull.

I heard of an incidence a couple years ago with two pit bulls.  It was in a Chicagoland apartment building, and a woman was going from the elevator to her apartment with a bunch of bags of groceries in her arms.  Two pit bulls spot her and go right after her, ripping her to shreads as the owner just stood there and watched.

There's something completely wrong with anyone or anything going after innocent bystanders.  I hate dogs to begin with, but would probably die of panic attack if I ever saw a pit bull.

You mean in San Francisco...?

http://www.cnn.com/2001/LAW/03/28/dog.mauling.arrests.01/

March 28, 2001

Web posted at: 9:44 a.m. EST (1444 GMT)

SAN FRANCISCO, California (CNN) -- A San Francisco grand jury indicted a couple on charges of murder and manslaughter connected to the January 26 fatal mauling of their next-door neighbor by two dogs they were caring for.

They are expected to be arraigned Wednesday.

The charges against the couple stem from the death of Diane Whipple, 33, who was killed when the dogs, a mixed breed of mastiff and Canary Island dog, each weighing more than 100 pounds, attacked her in the hallway outside her apartment.

San Francisco District Attorney Terence Hallinan explains why Marjorie Knoller was charged with second-degree murder in the dog attack on Diane Whipple.

"We think these charges are appropriate," said district attorney Terence Hallinan. "I'm confident that we will secure convictions on them."

Marjorie Knoller, 45, who was walking the dogs on leashes at the time of the attack, was charged with second-degree murder, manslaughter and keeping a mischievous animal. If convicted on all charges, she could face 15 years to life in prison.

Her husband Robert Noel, 59, who was not present during the mauling, was indicted on charges of involuntary manslaughter and keeping a mischievous animal.

Knoller's bail is set at $2 million and Noel's at $1 million.

"Second-degree murder in this case would involve a jury finding malice, that a killing was done with implied malice, that is, with such a level of reckless behavior knowing the danger of something and consciously disregarding it, which resulted in someone's death," Assistant District Attorney James Hammer explained the case against Knoller.

Knoller and Noel testified before the grand jury Tuesday afternoon, and paramedics were called to assist Knoller after she suffered an anxiety attack.

Soon after, a San Francisco police officer in an unmarked car followed the couple as they drove north from the city. The officer called the California Highway Patrol to report that they were driving erratically.

A patrol officer stopped the car and ticketed Noel for allegedly driving more than 85 mph in a 65 mph zone. The couple continued driving away from San Franciso and were arrested a few hours later in Corning.

Both are being held in Tehama County, northeast of San Francisco, where they are expected to be arraigned Wednesday.

Diane Whipple was attacked and killed by two Presa Canario-mastiffs in January.

Noel and Knoller, both of whom are attorneys, said they were caring for the dogs on behalf of a Pelican Bay Prison inmate, who allegedly ran an illegal attack-dog ring for drug dealers.

In a strange twist, the couple adopted dog owner and inmate Paul Schneider in a procedure that became official three days after Whipple's death.

Under the California penal code, any person owning, or having custody of a dog trained to attack or kill may be held liable should the dog kill a human.

Prosecutors said they did not have any evidence "of actual training of fighting dogs," but did present the grand jury with evidence of past violent acts by the two dogs.

Bane, the 120-pound male dog, was put to death soon after the attack. Hera, the female dog, is being held as potential evidence in the case, although the San Francisco Animal Control Department has ordered that she be put down because she is "vicious and dangerous" and poses a significant risk to the community, said Sgt. Bill Herndon.

It is how they were raised. If they were raised to be assholes (like humans) they will be. If they are raised not knowing violence, or agressiveness towards others, they can't exhibit the behavior.

Your issue that they are mean when protecting their homes.. well of course they are. Cause that's what they are taught.

An example is my dog, Ginger. She's not a "guard dog", nor have we taught her to "protect" anything. She see's someone walking by the house or the pizza man comes to the door and she whines to get out to lick the crap out of them. She's never growled at anyone or anything. She's 68 lbs of pure muscle and can knock over anything that gets in the way of her and a treat. But she doesn't care about people sticking their hands in her bowl when she eats, or kids yanking on her tail, etc, etc.. She just wants to be pet.. which is how we raised her. It helps that she's a mixed breed.. but my uncles dog (a rot) is the same way.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about dog behavior, but both of the zach's (who help me a bunch when I was trying to "train" Ginger) do so maybe they could add a bit more insite on this.

That is not entirely true. I have a black lab since she was a puppy that was never trained to be mean and was never trained to be a guard dog. Labs are supposedly the sweetest dogs in the world. I have taken her out for walks every day since I have had her so she could get used to other people. She is very protective of her yard, house, and family. She has snapped and tried to bite a few people that have dared step in her house or yard. Some dogs are just bread with this agressiveness and others arent. Some breeds are more susceptible to it as well.

That is not entirely true. I have a black lab since she was a puppy that was never trained to be mean and was never trained to be a guard dog. Labs are supposedly the sweetest dogs in the world. I have taken her out for walks every day since I have had her so she could get used to other people. She is very protective of her yard, house, and family. She has snapped and tried to bite a few people that have dared step in her house or yard. Some dogs are just bread with this agressiveness and others arent. Some breeds are more susceptible to it as well.

Surprise, surprise...

Disclaimer.. not all dogs are nice.. some are rotton pricks no matter how you treat them. Kinda like people.. ;)