Sox Pitching

Jake

Interesting note ... Sox were interested in Blanton on draft day (in his draft year) and I think they took ... Honel?  Or was it Royce Ring?

Anyway, Blanton was a guy they had their eye on.

All I read was the Moneyball aspect of it, and how thrilled Beane was that Kenny took Ring. For someone who remembers, was that the reason for not taking Blanton - just about the money? Or was it just a really, really stupid pick?

and we promptly traded him.

Which might not have been a bad thing, seeing how his career has progressed.

Again, it comes down to scouting and picking the right guys. Would I rather have Blanton now, at this point? Of course I would.

I don't like scouting and drafting mistakes, but to compound them by hanging onto guys for 5-6 years in hopes they make it and justify their draft position, that's just as bad or worse.

Sox don't do enough of "cutting the cord" with guys as it is.

I don't like scouting and drafting mistakes, but to compound them by hanging onto guys for 5-6 years in hopes they make it and justify their draft position, that's just as bad or worse.

I just can't figure out who you are talking about. I'm racking my brain and still have nothing. :bang