Question about Stewart

Joel

KW and JM cannot possibly justify keeping Rick White or even Gary Glover over Josh Stewart, unless they all reverse courses in the final week of ST.

The comparison to Mark Buerhle is obvious.  Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't MB get his first few appearances with the Sox out of the pen?  That would be the perfect scenario for Josh.  Then neither one of them would have needed a stint at AAA.  Josh's good year at AA last year and his strong showing in the Arizona Fall League are not coincidences.  He gets people out.

I totally disagree. White and Glover have proven they can be effective major league relievers (White over the course of several years). Stewart has been great this spring, but the fact is, he has never thrown a pitch above AA ball. So I think it would be quite reasonable for White and Glover to make the team and send Stewart to Charlotte to see if he can keep getting people out at that level. It probably makes more sense to do that than to have him seeing only occasional action in the pen. And although you're right that Buehrle's first MLB action was out of the pen, he spent the first half of that season (2000) getting regular starts in the minors. Plus, as good as Stewart was last year, he is not nearly as accomplished at the minor league level as Buehrle was. Buehrle was absolutely lights out in AA; Stewart was good but not great. Start Stewart in AAA (unless Wright isn't ready), have him spend the first few months there and if he's doing well, he'll get a ticket to Chicago when a major leaguer gets hurt or can't get anyone out.

I agree with Dibbler on his ideas, but it all comes down to Wright. If he isn't healthy then I see no point in rushing him and believe that Stewart can handle himself. I do think Stewart would benefit from more time and think that he could surprise people and enter our rotation eventually. This guy has really turned it on since last year and if he continues to grow, then he's got a good future, even if scouts don't drool over him.

KW and JM cannot possibly justify keeping Rick White or even Gary Glover over Josh Stewart, unless they all reverse courses in the final week of ST.

The comparison to Mark Buerhle is obvious.  Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't MB get his first few appearances with the Sox out of the pen?  That would be the perfect scenario for Josh.  Then neither one of them would have needed a stint at AAA.  Josh's good year at AA last year and his strong showing in the Arizona Fall League are not coincidences.  He gets people out.

I totally disagree. White and Glover have proven they can be effective major league relievers (White over the course of several years). Stewart has been great this spring, but the fact is, he has never thrown a pitch above AA ball. So I think it would be quite reasonable for White and Glover to make the team and send Stewart to Charlotte to see if he can keep getting people out at that level. It probably makes more sense to do that than to have him seeing only occasional action in the pen. And although you're right that Buehrle's first MLB action was out of the pen, he spent the first half of that season (2000) getting regular starts in the minors. Plus, as good as Stewart was last year, he is not nearly as accomplished at the minor league level as Buehrle was. Buehrle was absolutely lights out in AA; Stewart was good but not great. Start Stewart in AAA (unless Wright isn't ready), have him spend the first few months there and if he's doing well, he'll get a ticket to Chicago when a major leaguer gets hurt or can't get anyone out.

I totally agree. Stewart isn't, how do you say, 'ripe' yet for the White Sox to bring him to the major league level. He has proven himself in spring training and he had done fairly well in AA. The White Sox should bring Stewart up to AAA Charolette and base their decision from his performence there. You can't bring a player striaght up from AA to the majors. You have to put him in AAA before the majors, because, as we all know, AAA is more advanced and difficult than AA. Even if Stewart is only in AAA for a week, if he tears through the minors, congratulations to him, but, if he does only ample, leave him there and let him develop more. Then, on the topic of Stewart over White or Glover in the bullpen; no chance. Glover has been around the bullpen for a couple of years and has done well there, and White has been in the league a long time and knows what he is doing on the mound. I admit, Stewart is a great pitcher, but he is not ready for the majors right now, he will be and we all know he will be soon.

You can't bring a player striaght up from AA to the majors. You have to put him in AAA before the majors

Sure you can bring someone up from AA. It's done all the time. In fact, several years ago, the Sox brought Scott Radinsky from single A. As far as the rest of your post, I'm in total agreement.