A Seattle Mariners Related question.

ManSooLee

Um the Mariners have a ton of cash available... Hasegawa running out on them freed up money last year, that because of being pitiful, they forwarded to this years coffers. Freddy Garcia isn't on the books anymore...

I stated at some point early last night, when I saw the specifics of the Sexson deal ($4M in '05) That they would making sure there was space available for Beltre on the payroll... They have between 24 and 30M available depending on who you believe.

They are not a small payroll team by any stretch of the imagination.

Um the Mariners have a ton of cash available... Hasegawa running out on them freed up money last year, that because of being pitiful, they forwarded to this years coffers.  Freddy Garcia isn't on the books anymore...

I stated at some point early last night, when I saw the specifics of the Sexson deal ($4M in '05) That they would making sure there was space available for Beltre on the payroll... They have between 24 and 30M available depending on who you believe. 

They are not a small payroll team by any stretch of the imagination.

wasnt it sasaki that ran away?

It's pretty simple why they can throw that kind of money around. The Mariners' attendence was over 36,000 per game last year, even in a near 100 loss season. The Sox were somewhat in contention most of the year and averaged about 24,000. That's a lot of extra revenue.