what happened?

LosMediasBlancas

Pretty quiet around here. So now that most of us were wrong on just about everyone we thought Kenny might pick up, who's left? Anyone still willing to stick their neck out for Kenny?...or do we suddenly have faith in Grilli, Schoey or Cotts as the 5th starter?

Perez?

Pyrzinski??

I just really don't know. With the assumption of the Sox having ~ $10 mil to spend, why is it so hard to acquire Matt Clement or Odalis Perez? Why is it that it's so easy for other teams to get their SP? :unsure:

With the money the Sox have left, get Polanco and Odalis Perez, then we'll all set for next year!

FAs don't want to play here, period. Unlesss we throw an obscene amount of money at them (and we never will) that they just cannot turn down, they will not come here.

Imagine where we'd be this offseason if Dye were to accept another clubs contract proposal. Williams admitted various offers exceeded ours.

If Dye weren't a man of his word, we'd be in deep s***.

I just really don't know.  With the assumption of the Sox having ~ $10 mil to spend, why is it so hard to acquire Matt Clement or Odalis Perez?  Why is it that it's so easy for other teams to get their SP? :unsure:

With the money the Sox have left, get Polanco and Odalis Perez, then we'll all set for next year!

stop it with polanco. im beginning to think he is on this board

I just really don't know.  With the assumption of the Sox having ~ $10 mil to spend, why is it so hard to acquire Matt Clement or Odalis Perez?  Why is it that it's so easy for other teams to get their SP? :unsure:

Polanco accepted arbitration.

We are the New-Look White Sox, 'built around speed, defense and pitching...'

Well, at least speed and defense...

Well, at least speed... :ph34r:

I try to see the positives in it all. Think of all the money the organization is going to save on home run fireworks! ;)

Imagine where we'd be this offseason if Dye were to accept another clubs contract proposal.  Williams admitted various offers exceeded ours.

Of the 2 other teams rumored to be in the bidding, I think we have the best shot at going to the playoffs at the time of his signing.

Imagine where we'd be this offseason if Dye were to accept another clubs contract proposal.  Williams admitted various offers exceeded ours.

Good point, when the Dye signing went down, I said it was pure luck, a lot of people here disagreed.

Let's hope Kenny can still land Perez.

Good point, when the Dye signing went down, I said it was pure luck, a lot of people here disagreed.

Let's hope Kenny can still land Perez.

Rotoworld says that Perez will be heading to the Mariners or Nationals. It looks like the Ms are willing to dish out more cash.

Whom else can we try to lowball?

Rotoworld says that Perez will be heading to the Mariners or Nationals.  It looks like the Ms are willing to dish out more cash.

I don't agree with Rotoworld. This morning I browsed through Seattle's MLB website, in addition to various Seattle newspapers, and there was no mention of a mysterious bid. Madristch/Pienero/Meche/Franklin/Moyer were unquestioned by the general consensus as the likely starting rotation.

While it's certaintly not impossible Seattle is bidding for Perez, it remains unlikely they can afford Perez without trading Meche or Franklin. Their payroll is nearly maxed out. If either of these two are traded, then I'd become concerned of their position in bidding for Perez.

I don't agree with Rotoworld.  This morning I browsed through Seattle's MLB website, in addition to various Seattle newspapers, and there was no mention of a mysterious bid.  Madristch/Pienero/Meche/Franklin/Moyer were unquestioned by the general consensus as the likely starting rotation. 

While it's certaintly not impossible Seattle is bidding for Perez, it remains unlikely they can afford Perez without trading Meche.  Their payroll is nearly maxed out.  If Meche is traded, then I'd become concerned of their position in bidding for Perez.

seattle has too much money tied up in their roster right now. They would have to get rid of some salary to bring in Perez, Anaheim is in the same situation with Washburn.

Along with that the Mariners have an eighteen year old pitcher that every scout raves about and is supposed to contend for a job at spring training, and if he doesn't get it there expects to come up to the bigs if any of the other starters falter during the early goings. I don't think that the Mariners are going after Perez.

I wouldn't call it lowballing, I'd say we offer what's fair. The problem is that JR has yet to realize that you HAVE to overpay.

Excellent point. Damn near all of these pitchers are being overpaid (Pavano for 1 good year, Clement, etc.). The problem is that we will not overpay, and therefore, we will not have a top tier FA unless we're the only bidders.