Ballparks

BrandoFan

Now Hakw is talking about Oakland Colliseum and especially new Comerica Park becoming hitter's parks...unbelieable! It looks like Safeco is the only one left where a broken bat looping double is not a 400 feet goner. I mean baseballs are juiced, bats are juiced, players are juiced, the mound is lowered and pitching is generally watered down to say the least. What else does Selig wants? HGe is the one bithcing about escalating salries...I mean, players like Thome, Sosa, Ramirez, Giambi don't need the help of 310 feet porches to hit opposite field bombs. Really. I asm sick and tired of this s***.

I am sorry but players like Choice Clayton and Louis Rivas and whoevernot should NOT be able to hit double digits homers. I know what they are trying to do: chicks dig the long ball and fans want scoring bla bla bla...but I doubt that anyone seriously enjoys 3 and a half hour, 12-7 type slugfests by teams like Baltimore and Tampa Bay...just pain ugly stuff.

Solution: make 350-380-410-380-350 dimensions mandatory. A triple and a diving cvatch on a blooper is way more exciting than a cheap pop-up-homer IMO.

Another solution: bring out the Steroid Testing and start using Minor League baseballs.

Side note: in this unprecendented offensive era, what Pedro and RaJo are doing is all that more impressive. Wow.

ETA: Hey maybe Carlos Lee will then stop hacking for the fences on every pitch not in the dirt?

Don't forget Maddux. His ERA is just as good as the 2 you mentioned.

Yeah, but I think the offensive era with a capital 'O' began around '96 and Coors field/McGwire hitting 52. Maddux hasn't been as dominating pitchingin a pitcher's park after that as Johnson (American Legue, Seattle Park) or Pedro (Green Monster, American League).

Your're right, Maddox is probably third best in the recent years.

Do you agree with the ugly trend of bringing fences closer and closer?

Don't forget Maddux. His ERA is just as good as the 2 you mentioned.

Yeah, but in the offensive era with a capital O began around '96 and Coors field/McGwire hitting 52. Maddux hasn't been as dominating pitchingin a pitcher's park after that as Johnson (American Legue, Seattle Park) or Pedro (Green Monster, American League).

Your're right, Maddox is probably third best in the recent years.

Do you agree with the ugly trend of bringing fences closer and closer?

Yep, it's a mistake to bring in the fences. Not only does it make for 4 hour 9 inning games (which we all will agree is bad for the sport), but it also takes away from the numbers players in the past put up. Sure, you're going to have more HR and stuff just because players today are much bigger than they were as recently as the 1980's. But, to move the fences in with the diluted pitching is just wrong. I don't think there should be uniform dimensions for ballparks because that would take away from the uniqueness of them. But, I think there should be minimum dimensions. And your numbers sound like good minimums to have.

Most of all, though, there are just too many mediocre pitchers in the league due to the fact that there are too many teams. I say contract 1 or 2 teams from each league. That would help DRAMATICALLY IMO.

but it also takes away from the numbers players in the past put up

No f***ing kidding! Baseball is a UNIQUE game in that you can esily compare Sandy Koufax or Willie Mays to Pedro and Griffey unlike basketball, hockey, tennis, etc where the game progresses almost exponentially with each decade.

Don't f*** it up by having 30 guys hit 40 hommers each year. Besdies, like I said, a triple or a diving vatch at the track INSTEAD of a homer is more exciting for the fans IMO. (Tell that to Reds fans though who just lost Griffey for 2 months)

I say contract 1 or 2 teams from each league. That would help DRAMATICALLY IMO

It should be the last resort IMO. I think with fences moved back (again I am NOT asking for 460 feet to CF for crying out loud even though Ty Cobb and Willie Mays had to play in quite a few of those!) , with slightly less juiced up balls and steroid testing, you will see enough of a decline in overall offense that you wouldn;t even need to raise the mound or contract teams.

but it also takes away from the numbers players in the past put up

No f***ing kidding! Baseball is a UNIQUE game in that you can esily compare Sandy Koufax or Willie Mays to Pedro and Griffey unlike basketball, hockey, tennis, etc where the game progresses almost exponentially with each decade.

Don't f*** it up by having 30 guys hit 40 hommers each year. Besdies, like I said, a triple or a diving vatch at the track INSTEAD of a homer is more exciting for the fans IMO. (Tell that to Reds fans though who just lost Griffey for 2 months)

Griffey's injured again?

Shocking.

If you contract teams what are you going to do with their minor league clubs. What about the jobs that would be lost. THink about this if you contract one team. The city loses money, the people working for the big leage club lose their jobs. Now you have the minor league teams and the same effect will occur. Solve this problem than I will agree to contract. It's MLB's fault for expanding to quickly during the 90's, and they are now suffering. Why blame the people who work and go to the park.

Griffey's injured again?

Cocksucker Cubbie Paul Bako hits a LONG flyball to CF with bases loaded (are Gruidzilanek and Gonzo playing over their heads or what!) and Griffman makes a desperate stretch dive over the shoulder and just misses the ball by inches...resulting in what looks like a dislocated shoulder. Cubs go on to (probably) win. s***.

I hate to see all the parks continually reducing dimensions. It just cheapens everything. I wish Detroit had left Comerica alone. The idiot owners are afraid that they cannot attract free agent sluggers if they have a big park. Remember the stink Juan G made at Detroit? They don't understand that a big park might attract some pitchers. Also , if you have a big park, you just tailor your team to it. You get a bunch of fast guys/gap hitters in the outfield and leave guys like Greg Vaughn, Carlos Lee, et al to other teams. Like anything else in life, you just have to sell it.

Hey, I wouldn't mind seeing 360-390-425-380-350 as minimum dimensions now that I think about it. For real.

The downside to this, of course, is Mark Prior probably ending up with an ERA under 1.00 :) As you could tell I hate that f***er with a passion. Almost as much as I do Corey "Willie Mays" Patterson, SamMeMeMeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Soso, and Kerry "Baby Nose" Wood.

Offense sells tickets

Winning is what sells tickets, regardless if it's a 1-0 win or a 15-14 win. When fans come to the ballpark, they want to see their team win. Sure, some offense is nice, but everything is secondary to the W.

Winning is what sells tickets, regardless if it's a 1-0 win or a 15-14 win

But chick dig...um...the long ball? Well that and getting hit upside the head with a rum bottle/telephone by a moody, steroid-crazy slugger in the off-days. Didn't you get the memo?

Seriously I am a Sox fan and this team is capable of hitting 250 homers this year. And yet I would rather see good hitting versus good pitching (read playoffs) than to see Carlos Lee feast on a 2-0 get-me-over mistake by a AA pitcher wannabe. Honest to God.

Side note: Carlos Lee of late 2002 is destined to be a star. I just pick on him 'cause I feel like it, mmkay?

Despite what many people think, were not in that great of an offensive era

In 2002, the AL Runs/game were at 4.81

in 1990- 4.30

in 1980- 4.51

in 1970- 4.17

in 1960- 4.39

in 1950- 5.04

in 1940- 4.97

so despite the increase in HR's, overall offense hasn't changed that much. So there's no reason to make any changes...

Guest hotsoxchick1
Winning is what sells tickets, regardless if it's a 1-0 win or a 15-14 win

But chick dig...um...the long ball? Well that and getting hit upside the head with a rum bottle/telephone by a moody, steroid-crazy slugger in the off-days. Didn't you get the memo?

what kind of chicks do you hang with.. none i know dig that stuff...........