Defense & baserunning

BrandoFan

ok my two cents worth... brando.. asking players not to dive for balls and such is kinda like asking firemen not to go into a burning building to save someone from frying up.....or asking a cop not to chase the robber because he has a gun and may shoot.... players diving for plays is just like the risks that other professions take on a daily basis..... its all part of the job............

well put HSC

ok my two cents worth... brando.. asking players not to dive for balls and such is kinda like asking firemen not to go into a burning building to save someone from frying up.....or asking a cop not to chase the robber because he has a gun and may shoot.... players diving for plays is just like the risks that other professions take on a daily basis..... its all part of the job............

I do not find those analogies to be applicable in any way whatsoever, HSC. It's lazy and insensitive to trivialize life-death situations in this manner. Not fair to fans and ballplayers either. Please drop it.

Sorry, but asking Maggs or Hurt or Crede not to slide in head first on the relay to the plate in most regular season games lest we run a high risk of losing them (and the whole friggin' season with them!) is not such an outrageous thing to do. Not to mention that most dangerous "dives" are pretty much ineffective as far as preventing runs goes and so are attempts to knock the ball out a catchers glove at the plate (failes 90+ % of the time)...Risks outweigh reward by a mile IMO.

If it doesn't fit into your idealistic outlook on nature and purpose of competition, that's your problem. Nobody actually said Maggs should be prohibited from trying to make reasonable plays or that he completely dogs it out Belle-style...but extra caution is certainly in order. And if you watch Maggs or Hurt (Edgar or Sosa or Bonds, list goes on) you would see that they themselves NEVER take Rowand-esque chances. They must know what's best for them, or are they pussies, too- just like "this whole generations that doesn;t know how to live for real and have heart"-cakes? Hmm.

BTW, today with bases loaded, on 2-2 count Miguel Olivo had a chance to "take one for the team" by leaning into the pitch (it was inches from his elbow, which he promptly jerked out of the way). Why didn't he do it "for the good of the team"? Because he was smart, that's why- it's not worth breaking your forearm on a cold day and jeopardizing your career; coincidentally by doing so he also did the whole team a favor and stayed healthy. It's just one out of countless of examples that I can give you. Frank's injury in 2001 which as I said before practically wiped out not only that year but also the next one. Did you like it then?

I agree with a few posters who mentioned that it's not such a black&white, right&wrong issue: depends on many factors such as who the player is and what the situation calls for: what's acceptable for no-hit Willie Harris in a close pennant game is not for Valentin and his fragile hamstrings in a regular game, or what's good for Valentin maynot be good for 6'5", 270 pound Hurt, etc...

Griffey went for a highlight reel play (vanity thing) and now Reds are out of it for sure, which is a shame because they had a real shot at postseason and could have made life miserable for sCrUBieS, what with with Larkin, Boone, Dunn, Casey, Kearns and Junior and all...At least Yakees are stacked without Jeter- what about Nevin? A-Rod's back?

YMMV.

Guest hotsoxchick1

I do not find those analogies to be applicable in any way whatsoever, HSC. It's lazy and insensitive to trivialize life-death situations in this manner. Not fair to fans and ballplayers either. Please drop it.

Sorry, but asking Maggs or Hurt or Crede not to slide in head first on the relay to the plate in most regular season games lest we run a high risk of losing them (and the whole friggin' season with them!) is not such an outrageous thing to do. Not to mention that most dangerous "dives" are pretty much ineffective as far as preventing runs goes and so are attempts to knock the ball out a catchers glove at the plate (failes 90+ % of the time)...Risks outweigh reward by a mile IMO.

If it doesn't fit into your idealistic outlook on nature and purpose of competition, that's your problem. Nobody actually said Maggs should be prohibited from trying to make reasonable plays or that he completely dogs it out Belle-style...but extra caution is certainly in order. And if you watch Maggs or Hurt (Edgar or Sosa or Bonds, list goes on) you would see that they themselves NEVER take Rowand-esque chances. They must know what's best for them, or are they pussies, too- just like "this whole generations that doesn;t know how to live for real and have heart"-cakes? Hmm.

BTW, today with bases on 2-2 count Miguel Olivo had a chance to "take one for the team" by leaning it into the pitch (it was inches from his elbow, which he promptly jerked out of the way). Why didn't he do it "for the good of the team"? Because he was smart, that's why- it's not worth breaking your forearm on a cold day and jeopardizing your career; coincidentally by doing so he also did the whole team a favor and stayed healthy. It's just one out of countless of examples that I can give you. Frank's injury in 2001 which as I said before practically wiped out not only that year but also the next one. Did you like it then?

I agree with a few posters who mentioned that it's not such a black&white, right&wrong issue: depends on many factors such as who the player is and what the situation calls for. Griffey went for a highlight reel play (vanity thing) and now Reds are out of it for sure, qhichis a shame because they had a real shot at postseason, what with with Larkin, Boone, Dunn, Casey, Kearns and Junior and all...At least Yakees are stacked- what about Nevin? A-Rod's back?

lazy and insensitive???? give me a break... its part of the freakin job.. period... the cop, the fireman, the teacher, the ball player... each has a particular task at hand .. thats what they get paid for.......if they slide into a base head first cause thats how they are comfortable doing so then so be it... its their preference..........if they get hurt doing so thats a risk they take in their job...........everyone takes risks on a daily basis.. would you rather them just not play??? hell just walking out onto the field is a risk... anything can happen and does..thats part of the game... part of the job........thats what the hell they get paid for.............let em earn their money............if they get hurt in the process.. its a shame but its part of the work day.........there are no guarentees from injury...........dont want to take a chance then go live in a plastic bubble and stay away from the rest of the world.................now thats mho...............