How do I make my own DVD's from home footage?

santo=dorf

My sister got a new camcorder for Christmas that uses memory sticks and 8 mm tape, and I tried to put to some stuff I recorded onto my computer to possibly make a DVD. The software that came with the camcorder just compressed some of the footage into 2 minutes of highlights with some soft wedding music playing. :lol:

Is there software that will allow me to directly put 8 mm footage to a windows media file? Will this help me in making a DVD? :huh:

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 05:38 PM)
My sister got a new camcorder for Christmas that uses memory sticks and 8 mm tape, and I tried to put to some stuff I recorded onto my computer to possibly make a DVD.  The software that came with the camcorder just compressed some of the footage into 2 minutes of highlights with some soft wedding music playing.  :lol:

Is there software that will allow me to directly put 8 mm footage to a windows media file?  Will this help me in making a DVD?  :huh:

If you are running Windows XP you can use Movie Maker. It is a part of Windows available at Microsoft's site as a download. I've been playing with it a bit. Seems easy for some simple work.

Definitly I make a lot of stuff for some wrestling stuff, such as capping shows and making some highlight videos. Windows Movie Maker is very simple to use and has some good features. I use Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 for a lot of stuff though. I tis $100, you can get for 50 a lot of time with mail-in rebate, and it comes with a sound editor, video editor and dvd builder to make DVD's and Vcd's. It is a great program and can be learned fairly easy.