Timo a Fit for Ariz.?

beck72

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 4, 2005 -> 02:48 PM)
Would I like to trade Timo? Yes I would, but is it likely to happen? No it isn't, just because KW and Ozzie love him, and because of his clutch hitting, which is his major value to the team. Also we signed Tony Alvarez to a minor - league deal, and Rotoworld thought he could be an option for the 4th outfielder, plus I'd like to see Escobar get some AB's down at Charlotte, instead of his ass riding on the pine every day.

While I like Timo [and the sox do as well], is he the "ideal" 4th OFer for the Sox, with the current makeup of the club? I don't know. For the sox, they should want a good glove guy who can play all 3 OF spots, and can steal bases so he can pinch run late in games. Whatever offense that guy can give is a bonus, whether its a guy like Timo who can make contact or a guy with some pop off the bench. Also, the sox bench as it stands, has too many LH bats. Gload, Everett and Davis are set [both CArl and Ben hit better from the left side]. Timo makes it 4 LH bats, even with a RH hitting UTL guy. They might be better with a RH bat like Escobar or Alvarez, if Timo is wanted by a team like Ariz.

That Alvarez couldn't crack the Pirates lineup doesn't bode well for him getting into the sox OF mix. But his stats seem decent, can steal some bases and I'm guessing has a good glove [fits the Sox M.O.] Also, FWIW, Tony is Venezuelan. But getting another OFer?! This would make it more likely a guy like Timo could be moved. Could be filling the roster at AAA, though if you want Escobar in AAA, Anderson and Spidale likely in AAA as well, where do you put Alvarez? That the sox got another OF guy would suggest some sort of movement is coming [Joe B moved out somewhere the most likely scenario].

QUOTE(beck72 @ Feb 5, 2005 -> 03:10 AM)
While I like Timo [and the sox do as well], is he the "ideal" 4th OFer for the Sox, with the current makeup of the club? I don't know. For the sox, they should want a good glove guy who can play all 3 OF spots, and can steal bases so he can pinch run late in games. Whatever offense that guy can give is a bonus, whether its a guy like Timo who can make contact or a guy with some pop off the bench. Also, the sox bench as it stands, has too many LH bats. Gload, Everett and Davis are set [both CArl and Ben hit better from the left side]. Timo makes it 4 LH bats, even with a RH hitting UTL guy. They might be better with a RH bat like Escobar or Alvarez, if Timo is wanted by a team like Ariz.

That Alvarez couldn't crack the Pirates lineup doesn't bode well for him getting into the sox OF mix. But his stats seem decent, can steal some bases and I'm guessing has a good glove [fits the Sox M.O.] Also, FWIW, Tony is Venezuelan. But getting another OFer?! This would make it more likely a guy like Timo could be moved. Could be filling the roster at AAA, though if you want Escobar in AAA, Anderson and Spidale likely in AAA as well, where do you put Alvarez? That the sox got another OF guy would suggest some sort of movement is coming [Joe B moved out somewhere the most likely scenario].

It's likely that at least 1 of Anderson or Spidale will be back in Birmingham to start the season, so you could have a potential outfield of Borchard, Alvarez and Escobar for the Knights.

Albeit not very well. I'm assuming you think Gload will be the DH if we trade Crazy Carl instead of Timo, because well Timo ain't going to produce numbers to justify that role. His value is as a pinch hitter, that's all. In the first few months as a DH while THomas is injured, Everett could hit well enough, that it could be very hard to keep him out of the lineup, we all remember the start he had in Texas in 2003 that made KW trade for him in the 1st place.

Gload at 1b and Pauly DH

Spring training will answer all of these questions and more.

Regarding Timo Perez, the questions are, is he healthy and is he a better fit for the 4th OF spot than one of the younger guys?

Regarding Alex Escobar, is he healthy and has he made enough progress with the bat to fulfill an off-the-bench role? He cannot be sent down if I recall.

On Tony Alvarez, they need to get to know him and what he brings to the table. If he plays very well this spring he could force a trade of Perez or Escobar.

Also to answer is, how important will Timo's lefthanded bat be vs. another righthanded bat off the bench? And then there is the whole Harris/utility IF situation to resolve.

At this point I think they will wait until spring training to figure all of this out. It is better to have more options vs. less at this point. Lots of move are made in spring training. Teams like to look at their young guys and if they determine they need someone, a deal is made. I can definitely see the Sox doing something because they have good depth in the outfield, not so much in the infield.

I  doubt the Dbacks would want Timo unless Byrnes, Cameron, Wilson AND Payton are unavailable.  Plus, there is NO WAY they would give up Cintron for him.  Maybe we can get Casey Daigle from them...more of a reason to bring Jennie Finch to the ballpark.

How bout we just get rid of him-PERIOD, for practiclaly nothing in return. We have Escobar,Everett, Gload, Borchard, & Harris all vying for bench time ni the outfield, and Timo hasnt become a neccestity to us, and we will save 1 million from ridding of him(Dont get me wrong; I do like timo, more than any of the OF i listed outside of everett; But at 1 million$, it is a poor investment)