Notes: Another 'Black Jack'?

greasywheels121

http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/new...s_cws&fext=.jsp

Notes: Another 'Black Jack'?

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

TUCSON -- After just one day of watching Brandon McCarthy pitch during workouts on the back fields of Tucson Electric Park, manager Ozzie Guillen compared him to former teammate and former 20-game winner Jack McDowell.

There's nothing like a little extra pressure for the young right-hander to handle in his first Major-League Spring Training. But Guillen couldn't have picked a more apt comparison, in terms of McCarthy's approach to the game.

"I try to model myself after pitchers a lot like that-kind of tough, bulldogs on the mound," said McCarthy of McDowell. "To hear that, it's nice, especially from someone who played with him and has been around and seen that kind of mentality."

Even at 21 years of age, McCarthy held a remote chance of breaking with the White Sox out of Spring Training as the team's fifth starter before the team signed Orlando 'El Duque' Hernandez to a two-year deal. McCarthy could start as high as Class AAA Charlotte, although there's a chance he might begin 2005 with Class AA Birmingham, after burning through three levels in 2004.

McCarthy led all minor-league pitchers with 202 strikeouts and finished second with 17 victories, posting a 3.14 ERA between stops at Class A Kannapolis, Class A Winston-Salem and Birmingham. He won 12 straight decisions from June 15 to Aug. 27, but more importantly, walked 30 and allowed 134 hits over 172 combined innings.

The big strikeout total doesn't concern, or for that matter, overly impress McCarthy, who simply focuses on going from the first out to the third out in the quickest way possible. During the next four or five weeks, McCarthy's biggest new concern is leaving an indelible impression on Guillen and his staff.

"I just want to leave everybody here going, 'We're ready to call him up whenever we need him,'" McCarthy said. "I don't want anybody to have any hesitation. If they need somebody during the season, I want to be the first one they give that look.

"That's all that's really important to me-having everybody leave here knowing my name, knowing who I am and being confident of what I can do," McCarthy added.

If all things work out health-wise with the current starting rotation, McCarthy won't be needed in 2005. But the lanky right-hander, who stands 6-foot-7 and 180 pounds, already has begun to make that mark he desired.

Guillen seemed just as impressed with 'Black Jack' McCarthy's pitching on Saturday as he was on the Opening Day.

"He's not too far away from the big leagues," said Guillen of McCarthy, who will start a couple of Spring Training games. "Mentally, he's ready to pitch. He's focused and knows what he's doing.

"When you see a kid so young moving the catcher over and telling him what he wants to throw, that's pretty impressive," Guillen added.

The search is over: Guillen, Freddy Garcia, Detroit's Ugueth Urbina and Philadelphia's Bobby Abreu are all very close friends from their time spent together in Venezuela. Guillen has stated before that if he's hanging out in his hometown of Caracas, one of the other three won't be too far behind.

So, Guillen and Garcia were both extremely excited and relieved over the news that Maura Villarreal, Urbina's mother, was rescued Friday night just outside of Bolivar, Venezuela, ending an ordeal that started on Sept. 1 with her abduction. Urbina called Guillen Friday night on his way to the airport, and Ozzie's wife, Ibis, was on her way to Venezuela from Florida.

"It's like they found my own mom," Guillen said. "We spent a lot of time this winter with Ugie, and I know he went through a real tough time-especially Christmas and New Year's Eve. Those days are real big for us and it was tough for everyone in the house."

The kidnappers initially demanded $15 million from Urbina, but lowered their demands to $3 million in January. Guillen talked last year about taking up a collection to pay the ransom, but the police took a low-key approach instead. They ultimately didn't pay, preventing the kidnappers from thinking it would be an easy way to make big money.

Garcia admitted that anyone famous in Venezuela, or even their family members, has to be careful "what you are doing and where you are." But his attention centered on the good news for the Urbina family.

"Everybody is really happy here and in Venezuela," Garcia said. "It's kind of sad that it happened at all. But she's alive and that's good."

Center of attention: Aaron Rowand took fly balls in center field Saturday, but that might not be the position where he ultimately ends up during the regular season. Guillen once again is toying with the idea of putting Scott Podsednik in center, moving Rowand and his no-holds-barred defensive approach to left and protecting an important offensive investment.

"I worry that when you play center like Aaron, diving for the ball or going to the wall, you have a good chance to get hurt," Guillen said of Rowand. "I don't want him to miss playing time.

"Yesterday, he was my center fielder. Today, I said go take fly balls in center. But I've had a couple of discussions with Kenny and we are going to have another meeting tomorrow about where it can be better for (Rowand) to stay healthy and play all year long."

The real thing? Tape sent to Guillen of Japanese second baseman Tadahito Iguchi would lead the White Sox manager to believe his new infielder is a nearly-perfect player. But Guillen knows better.

While he anxiously awaits Iguchi's arrival Monday, he's also looking forward to the first live viewing of his talents Tuesday morning.

"I've only seen Iguchi on tape, and they sent me the wrong tape," said Guillen with a smile. "He's doing everything good on that tape, and I don't see any strikeouts or errors.

"He's a great player on the tape. Hopefully, he plays the way he does on the tape."

"I just want to leave everybody here going, 'We're ready to call him up whenever we need him,'" McCarthy said. "I don't want anybody to have any hesitation. If they need somebody during the season, I want to be the first one they give that look.

I like this...

If all things work out health-wise with the current starting rotation, McCarthy won't be needed in 2005. But the lanky right-hander, who stands 6-foot-7 and 180 pounds, already has begun to make that mark he desired.

This is just Merkin going by what is in the program... BMac says he's bulked up to about 210, that was back in september or so.