SouthSide Bars ...

retro1983hat

:headbang  :headbang  :headbang

My Dad says it's actually 1880, and we were the first to get a liquor license in Chicago, not the Berghoff place. My Uncle George runs Shinnick's.

Ok, spill ... are you Jim? You can't be Jay, he's a Cub fan.

I tried to stop in for dinner Monday nite, you guys are closed for spring cleaning.

Jay and Jim are my Uncles.  ;)

and CC, my Grandpa is the owner.

Gotcha.

Your grandfather knows me by sight and he is good friends with my great aunt. My great aunt knew Harvey Schaller, who was of course your grandfathers grandfather. My great aunt met her husband in 1933, a few days after Prohibition was repealed, at the table right under the peephole. That's the table we try to sit at whenever we pop in.

You're not Kim's son, she just has a little girl. I'm guessing you are Sue's son, or Jill's son? If so, I am the guy who gave her (Sue) the picture of the old brewery (Ambrosia) that used to stand where the Schallers parking lot is now.

My dad and I had Tony the accordianist out at his house in the western suburbs to play for a party about 10, 11 years ago. We know Joanne the waitress, as well as almost all the Schallers ... they see me in there all the time, they know my first name but mostly know me from bringing my great aunt in there.

One of my other favorites is Lou the bartender, he is a real south side treasure. As you know he is a good friend and former classmate of your grandfathers.

We have had a lot of happy times in Schallers Pump, it is one of my favorite places. There is nothing quite like it.

QUOTE(JimH @ Feb 23, 2005 -> 05:09 PM)
Gotcha.

Your grandfather knows me by sight and he is good friends with my great aunt.  My great aunt knew Harvey Schaller, who was of course your grandfathers grandfather.  My great aunt met her husband in 1933, a few days after Prohibition was repealed, at the table right under the peephole.  That's the table we try to sit at whenever we pop in.

You're not Kim's son, she just has a little girl.  I'm guessing you are Sue's son, or Jill's son?  If so, I am the guy who gave her (Sue) the picture of the old brewery (Ambrosia) that used to stand where the Schallers parking lot is now.

My dad and I had Tony the accordianist out at his house in the western suburbs to play for a party about 10, 11 years ago.  We know Joanne the waitress, as well as almost all the Schallers ... they see me in there all the time, they know my first name but mostly know me from bringing my great aunt in there.

One of my other favorites is Lou the bartender, he is a real south side treasure.  As you know he is a good friend and former classmate of your grandfathers.

We have had a lot of happy times in Schallers Pump, it is one of my favorite places.  There is nothing quite like it.

Good story. :cheers

My dad is the eldest of all the Schaller children, John.

We almost always stop by there, or one of my Uncle's before we head over to USCF.

Good story.  :cheers

My dad is the eldest of all the Schaller children, John.

We almost always stop by there, or one of my Uncle's before we head over to USCF.

That's great, hope to run into you there sometime. Ask your dad about the Ambrosia Brewery, he will definitely remember it. Your Aunt Jill remembers running around and playing inside the brewery when she was in grade school in the early 60's.

Your grandfather told me when they demolished the brewery in 1965, there was a huge chimney above the brewery complex that toppled and Schallers was covered in ashes for days. He also told me whenever they resurface the parking lot, they have to be extra careful to go over a few spots ... it's hollow underneath certain areas where the brew kettles used to be. I have several items from the brewery, including pictures ... I collect a lot of south side stuff. There used to be a big ice dispensing station right where you pull into the parking lot, people used to drive up with their buckets, etc. and get ice. I think they tore that down with the brewery.

The burgers at Schallers are IMO just about the best in the city. So are the ribs, I always look to see if that tall thin guy from 63rd and Halsted (Greg?) is cooking in back ... he knows just how to do them up right.