Thomas' recovery progressing well

greasywheels121

You know if there's Frank news, I'm posting it. :P

http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/ar...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Thomas' recovery progressing well

Slugger has good session in cage; running next hurdle

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

TUCSON, Ariz. -- There was good news and bad news presented by Frank Thomas on Saturday in regards to the rehabilitation of his surgically repaired left ankle.

But even the bad news didn't seem to be too awful.

First, the good news: Thomas now is able to get to the front side on his swing, after three days of taking part in batting practice, and his offensive game is quickly progressing. It's a sentiment agreed upon by Thomas' teammates, who have watched him in action, and even White Sox athletic trainer Herm Schneider. In fact, Schneider said earlier this past week that if Thomas was running at full speed, he could be ready for Opening Day.

The running portion of Thomas' rehab, though, is where the bad news comes into play. While Thomas has done some light jogging without any problem, there has been the same localized area of pain on the side of his left foot when he goes through full-out running.

During the last few days, it has been discovered that there was a little bit of scar tissue in the tendon area that could be causing Thomas a tremendous amount of pain as soon as he hits the hot spot. That scar tissue scenario is a better one for Thomas than having the pain caused by something related to his surgery on Oct. 6 that repaired a fractured navicular in his left ankle.

"We're happy about that because it was really nothing from the surgery," Thomas said of the scar tissue. "The tendon was just scarred down. We haven't used it in such a long time.

"I have to find some way to break through it. Who knows? It could take a week. It could take a month, but hopefully, we can get it done as soon as possible."

Thomas said that Schneider would do everything possible to help loosen up the scar tissue. A shot in the area where the scarring exists even was a plausible solution in Thomas' mind. But this task appears to be one Thomas will have to execute on his own.

"I'm going to have to probably get a mouthpiece and just run through it," said Thomas, referring to the intense pain that could come from loosening the scar tissue. "That's the only way it will loosen up. We just want it to loosen up enough that it doesn't cause great pain."

The more Thomas talked on Saturday afternoon, the more he sounded like a player who was ready to get back in the lineup much sooner than later. Thomas understands that he will be spending extra time in Arizona when the White Sox break camp next weekend, but he would like to limit that period to two weeks, or the equivalent of his stay on the disabled list to start the 2005 season.

Although Thomas sounded as if he was amenable to a minor league rehab assignment one week ago, he seemed to be following a different path Saturday. Thomas pointed out two previous stints on the disabled list in his 15-year career, covering 14 weeks in total, in which he jumped back in and played immediately.

Extensive work Thomas currently is doing in the batting cage, during live batting practice and with flips has him making daily progress. The White Sox's career home run leader with 436 has not faced pitching in a game situation since a pinch-hit strikeout against the Cubs on July 4 of last season, but he doesn't seem overly worried in regards to quickly getting his offense back up to speed. The first 20 at-bats upon his arrival will be crucial, by Thomas' estimation.

"You've got to see the ball and you've got to hit it, and I'm swinging great," Thomas said. "That really gave me encouragement, two days ago when I started nailing the ball again. There is no problem swinging.

"The problem right now is getting out of the box and running, and we've got to do whatever we can just to get me up to 75 percent. If I get up to 75 percent, I'm fine.

"I'm probably at 50 percent now, and that 25 percent is huge," Thomas added. "You've got to score from second and if you get a double, you've got to be able to get there. But I'm encouraged now more than ever. I'm just hoping it's not going to take too long, because I don't want to waste a whole month if I don't have to."

Previous pain for Thomas during this ongoing rehab process was caused by adjustment to the specially made orthotic insoles for his shoes. That issue since has been erased. Thomas also is satisfied with the building up of his left leg, an area that atrophied because of his eight months on crutches.

The left calf is still a little small, but Thomas pointed out that it took his right triceps one full year to come all the way back after he tore it diving for a ground ball early in the 2001 season. The strength is there, as Thomas is pressing the same amount with his left leg as he does with his right leg.

It's all about running and scar tissue for Thomas, who went through the first full day of workouts with his teammates Saturday. It's also about getting out of Arizona and back to the big leagues, turning the almost daily good news for Thomas into the best possible situation for the White Sox.

"The biggest step was just swinging freely and naturally," Thomas said of his comeback. "It has been three days in a row that I'm swinging normal. But we have to break through that scar tissue so I can run.

"That's the only problem I have right now. That's it. Once I'm able to run, I'm going to pretty much jump back in there if they let me."